Unwanted Troll/Leech

Jaydeus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Offender's name: DragonBorn

Offender's Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22607581 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005480890

Explanation of the situation: This dude joined me and two friends, when we were trying to do a Thanatos run. We initially asked him to leave, explaining to him that we were not going to give him free stuff or help him through this map. He was at around ~100hp, and he had no gear for this map. He was completely unhelpful and would try to get in the way/steal gold. He was a general nuisance. I used some more vulgar language, as he refused to leave. To be frank, I called him a "worthless cunt", as it was clear at that point he had no intention of leaving and would just continue to troll.

I don't expect anything to happen to him, as I stupidly did not get a demo of the situation. However, what are my friends and I supposed to do, when this happens? He wouldn't even communicate with us, when he clearly understood English. Vote kicking is not an option, so we have no way of ridding him. He did not care about dying, as we even tried to purposely block his path. I'm all for helping new players, but it was clear this would be spoil his experience, as he was nowhere near prepared to handle the area. Given the harshly condemned nature of posting spoilers on the forums, what would make this different, having a player wholly incapable of handling an area and trying to get rushed, despite the other players not consenting?

The drop rates in this game are funky. Can I get an explanation on how damage points contribute to this? Does having a damage point amount substantially lower than everyone else just preclude the one individual from getting proper loot, or is the whole party impacted? I read that, for example, orc_for drop rates could get messed up, when there is a grossly unbalanced damage point spread, loot quality would suffer for all. Am I just an idiot, and did I get my information wrong? Thothie, help me. HOW DOES THE DROP SYSTEM WORK IN THIS GAME?!

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I would recommend votelocking the server. It takes 3 people to votelock, and you can always votekick. "Votekick name" in chat will prompt it. Same with votemap/voteban/etc. (Voteban does not work)

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The time spent dealing with this guy and finishing that glitchy piece of shit boss got the server nice and bloated enough to kick me on his death. Causing me to get no gear. This is really a load of fucking shit; If it isn't areas that are bloated to raid tier content for the fuck of it, it's broken glitchy servers and other garbage that blocks me from ever getting anything better than mid tier trash.

Akutare

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
I would recommend votelocking the server. It takes 3 people to votelock, and you can always votekick. "Votekick name" in chat will prompt it. Same with votemap/voteban/etc. (Voteban does not work)

So the Vote menu kick doesn't work but the chat one will? Because otherwise I don't think we were able to since they said it was disabled. Also good to know about that command.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Don't bother with votekick or voteban, the person getting booted off the server can rejoin asap without a problem and voteban does literally nothing from what i remember.

Best way to deal with this is to votelock the server with 3 players in it, if someone wants to join, they will have to be in your friends list to contact you so they can get the temporary password in the server. (password can be displayed again by retyping votelock in the console incase you forgot the password or didn't even see it)
Some people don't know how votelock works, perhaps doing a votelock with him in the server and then votekicking would work if he had no clue how the votelock system works.

Perhaps the guy has nobody to play with and didn't want to play alone or was bored of being alone. Idk. Usually i don't mind having newbies around, i do warn them about a few things but it's their decision to stick around or not, as long as they don't ruin the game for everyone else.

Damage points from what i recall only decide on what kind of loot you will be getting in most maps, being in first place will make you the one player to receive the unique drops in most maps, or being the first to loot an artifact chest (the ghost chests). Also from what i remember, any players under 25% of the total damage points of the first player gets no decent loot or something like that. For example, you are first with 100k damage points at the end of the map, the other players will only get qualified for better loot if they had at least 25k damage points. I'm not sure if this is the proper values, but it's something along these lines. As for orc_for, damage points have almost no impact, the items dropped there can drop for anyone in the server. I've done runs in the past with newbs at like 200-300hp getting the level 35 archery weapon from that map. Which of course is kind of stupid imo. Not sure if this was fixed, i doubt it. Maybe the dmg points qualification is the only factor in orc_for now, plus unlocking more chests to increase odds of getting an item.

But to be honest, you guys should be gratefull he was around, i don't know if he messed up your run somehow by glitching or crashing or blocking, but see it this way, he gave you guys additional xp per kill (50% non boss and 100% extra for the boss) and increased the loot quality at the end (if you got to finish the map). Unless he was afking the entire map, waiting for it to be done.

I've had similiar stuff happen to me in the past, there was this one time i was soloing the_wall, i got to the hardest boss fight in the map (probably still considered the hardest boss fight in the game), some 300-400hp noob joins a few seconds before that boss battle started and instantly does a votemap for nightmare_thornlands when i'm fighting the boss. I get killed and told him to fuck off and go to another server if he wants to run that map, i attempt to kill the boss without potions two times and fail both times, i go afk for like 1 minute tops 'cause i was trying to bring an alt account in to get another supply of potions, while i'm in the process of joining the server with my other account, the asshole did another votemap for nightmare_thornlands and it changes since i didn't get to vote, as soon as my alt gets in the map i was in, i get the notification for a mapchange to occur shortly. Basically lost more than half of a the_wall solo run thanks to this idiot plus a set of high quality potions. I've had people joining me in the middle of map runs, solo or group, they join and start a votemap for low level maps when the current map isn't finished, except these others times it was mostly one time things. This kind of stuff does annoy me and can ruin the fun real quick if the vote does manage to pass somehow. But this one guy was probably the biggest idiot i ever saw in this community. When the map changed i basically insulted the little sh!t into oblivion and left the server. Who the f*ck joins a server and does this kind of sh!t? I wouldn't mind playing nightmare_thornlands after i was done with one of my low level alts, but this guy... took stupidity to a whole new level. Also he didn't communicate not even once, it was either some foreign ignorant prick who has 0 English in his vocabulary or some stupid kid who doesn't know how the chat system works. Either way, the guy was an idiot.

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
More people = less server stability. I'd rather have a guy nuke the entire map for us ruining the experience over a dead weight adding strain to the server every second he's there. By the second half of the boss fight, oyster joins in to watch also which I guess made the server go nuclear and kick me on boss kill killing my treasure chance(There really needs to be a way to obtain treasure on dc, this is outrageous).

So yeah I wont be really thankful for more stress on the server when they already fall apart like wet paper mache. However at least this experience showed us the greatest command in the game known as votelock, thank you Lucifer for telling us this option.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Guess that makes oyster as much to blame as the newbie. :p

Yeah i understand about the stability issue, i even forgot that for a moment, msc is just too damn unstable in groups. Which kinda ruins teamplay and the loot system. I wonder why that loot system was implemented in the first place. Probably might have something to do with relooting upon reconnect or something.

But tbh, your best option would be to get a server of your own, try get access to FN and host a listen server or dedicated (should be open to public when not being used by you). You can lock the server whenever you want, regardless of how many people are with you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jaydeus said:
The drop rates in this game are funky. Can I get an explanation on how damage points contribute to this? Does having a damage point amount substantially lower than everyone else just preclude the one individual from getting proper loot, or is the whole party impacted? I read that, for example, orc_for drop rates could get messed up, when there is a grossly unbalanced damage point spread, loot quality would suffer for all. Am I just an idiot, and did I get my information wrong? Thothie, help me. HOW DOES THE DROP SYSTEM WORK IN THIS GAME?!
Damage points don't affect drop rates, instead they affect pecking order. On chests affected by them, whoever has the most damage points qualifies for a shot at the top tier "unique" prize, whoever has the second most gets the second tier prize, etc. etc. Doesn't matter if the whole team has all of 10 damage points between them, or 10 million.

If, however, you make less than 25% of the average, you'll be disqualified for most everything, which usually means you'll just get the generic resupply chest (hp/mp pots, maybe some random bolts, and some gold). If you see anything else in there, you probably qualified, but just had some crap rolls.

Spawn chances are only affected by the number of players (and on self adjusting maps, the average monster tier). The effect of more players is, generally, rather extreme, and in many cases, also affects quantity, and the type of loot available.

Artifact chests (the ones that pop-up a menu) also always give the player with the most damage points first selection, and then go down the list to the one with the least. The odds of them spawning anything is similarly increased by the number of players, a few items requiring two or more.

The details, however, vary wildly from chest to chest, as we've never really gone back to uniform all this crap (there being f*ckload of chests and all.) Additionally, as with everything, a few of them are a bit buggy.

...Also, I was unaware "voteban" had stopped working - maybe among the new Valve "secured" commands. "votekick" at chat/console should ban for five minutes, but if ban has been... banned... then yeah, that won't work either. "votelock" works with three or more players, and is generally recommended for long hauls on high end maps.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
To fix the random boots from servers. Go to your MS:C in your steam library. Right click, launch options. "-num_edicts 5000"

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wasn't the edicts supposed to be set to 1500? Or is 5000 just more stable?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
1500 - it shouldn't help if it doesn't match up with the server's. There's some superstition running around that more is better, but I can't think of any logical reason why - if anything that should make it less stable, but doesn't really seem to.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, but anything above 1500 seems to kill stability right quick, and prevent loading of the more media heavy maps.

Jaydeus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thank you all, for the useful information!

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score
bit late, but you could always /votepvp and kill them over and over, maybe leave a winter wolf or bear guardian near spawn, if they stay you just kill them and they contribute towards extra loot and exp

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
D.Drew said:
bit late, but you could always /votepvp and kill them over and over, maybe leave a winter wolf or bear guardian near spawn, if they stay you just kill them and they contribute towards extra loot and exp
Sticking around the spawn tends to be more harsh with the afk flag though :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bear should unsummon if struck by another player enough times... Wolf would be tricky to place right. Most maps have enough spawns spread out enough to prevent this sorta trolling, but I suppose it's something to keep in mind on future maps.