Un-named MS:S W.I.P Map (weissberV)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what this map will be, possibly the new keledros castle? Maybe it could be implemented into Edana (in the time since MS:C, Edana has grown and a king was born. A castle was constructed, the walls expanded, and the town prospered.) It also has the front gate to it so it could be part of it, if you guys wanted it to be.

This is a W.I.P made be WeissberV, who was nervous about posting this, but whatever. :p

It's being worked on so don't expect a complete map yet.

Front view :

d49615318eb1d4bea8fb2422f2639c1512a594a2.jpg

Another view :
65129e8d024ddb682e2bd769571a7fe57761428a.jpg

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score

Tirex

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Needs works (duh), like the mountains, plains and datail, but im pretty much sure you alredy know. I like it though, very... castlie and that weird roof.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
aw damn u crow u've mapped way longer than me (i've mapped for about 1 or 2 years) and also that little fort i made is just the fort of the castle, i've yet to still make a path going down a hill to a town. Also it would be helpful if u mapped for source crow :D i'd love to work with u but i'd slow down and ruin ur maps lol

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
hey man, ur not that bad... just take your time and put it into detail study his screens and try and emulate them for practice.

defactoduck

New Adventurer
Reaction score
crow, could we get a little more light in the last two shots? im loving your architecture

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
ty.

also, i've been getting this error with HL2 and any HL2 mod I try and start. Happens during initial load up. I did some research and apparently there are quite a few people gettin it, and no fix for it I can find. WTF steam, fix your shit.

"failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer"

I can't test source maps. This makes me cry.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
did u put ur material pack in:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\your-username\half-life 2\hl2\materials ?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Dood, google is your friend....

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthr ... ost1425632

Person that had the same problem said:
Adding " -dxlevel 70 " to the launch options gave me a workaround.

Fix:

* Right click Garry's Mod on Steam
* Choose Properties
* In the window that appears, click Launch Options
* In the text box that appears, type '-dxlevel 70'
* Press OK to close all the boxes

However, before any of this, make sure you have the latest Directx installed as well as your graphics card, and motherboard drivers.

Or:
Some other guy said:
For people who get the "failed to lock vertex buffer in cmeshdx8:lockvertexbuffer" or whatever error, try deleting vidcfg.bin in the bin directory in your game directory. I used to get this problem a lot playing Half-life 2 episode one, but deleting that file whenever it happened made the game stable for good lengths of time. I think it might reset your graphical settings in game, so you will have to re-apply them each time. But if you can play, then it's a small price to pay.

That was from the first page of google :) Seems to mainly be a graphics card problem, if so, like I said before, check all drivers are up to date :)

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Hehe, yea, I did some searching about a month ago and found nothing, did a search just a minuets ago, found out it wasn't just a steam thing, nor a game thing at all, but graphics card related, so im currently downloading the lastest drivers to see if that fixes it.

I'll try that other thing if the drivers don't fix it. Thanks for looking into it ^_^

I don't have garry's mod on this comp >_>, but im assuming it'll work for any HL2 thing?

EDIT: Drivers fixed it. GG :D

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Rock :D

Yeah it was any source app :)

But yeah, w00t for drivers!

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
yes there is progress on this map, but its getting slower, the compile is is getting rediculus, it wwent from 7 minutes to over 2-3 hours :/ i have to do it over night.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like leakage to me.

Then again you might have added a lot to make it take that long. Maybe it's time for a new computer? :p

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have a thing for that. It cuts compile time for ALL MAPS to a few minutes. It also can cut the size of the map in half.

It's a hacked up version of one of the compilers. I'll send you it if you want it. It shrinks the VisLeaf size lowering compile time and size.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
dRkILL said:
Sounds like leakage to me.

Then again you might have added a lot to make it take that long. Maybe it's time for a new computer? :p

I bought a new pc about 1 and a half years ago, i'm fine there. as for the map, i added quite alot of power 2 displacements (like 20) for the moat >.> i'm guessing thats the problem

@rilez send me more info, i want to be sure what i;m downloading >.>

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
http://deathbynukes.xlphp.net/releases.html

Find the (H4XED BSP compiler)

Quote from author :

I made a modified (h4xed) version of the compiler that is specifically designed for maps with large open spaces.
The benefits are a shorter compile time, lower polygon count, and smaller file size!

This works by increasing the maximum size of "vis leaves". Leaves are used by the VIS compiler to determine what the player can see from where. VIS usually makes something like 1 leaf per room, but in large open areas it chops them up horizontally into 1024x1024 sized blocks...

Some comparisons :

Before

regulargroundgp5.jpg

After

h4xedgroundne0.jpg

continued..

I made these tests by making a box map like gm_flatgrass but as large as the entire grid. It took 19 minutes to compile it normally. (without lighting) With the hacked compiler, VIS took ZERO SECONDS to compile.
Also, compare the file sizes:

filesizesau6.gif

..end useful info.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
How do I add your pack to hammer so it knows to use it?

Also, im getting some nonsense about not being able to launch right after compile cause its missing some dll.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
um, i compiled my map last night, its showing a previous map version :/ the only thing that i got was rad having an error message near the end, but thats happend before and its worked fine, but this time it didn't i tried searching all my files to see if i put it somewhere else but i didn't :S just in my hl2 maps where i usually put it