Sub-FN Database for a Script Test Server

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Self-Explanatory in the header,

I had a talk with Oyster while back, and then now Greatguys1 (Hackasaurus Rex) .. about having a server, that works along with each build (nor an alpha, or a new patch) - and it's mere purpose is to test community submitted/built scripts with the FN database, such as questing.. any other submitted work or fixes, entire -game- changers .. but is not the live and current FN, but also does not suffer horrid fates .. such as character file wipes, direct changes to new patches.. etc. I would very much like to see this in an attempt to bring out new features and test them accordingly with online feedback, without waiting for.. A. new. patch. This seems very reasonable and the reason not to do it could only go three ways in my mind, lack of interest, security issues.. or funding/server space by RKSPY004 or with other responsible users.

I don't mind starting new on this server, but some people don't .. so maybe we can throw in alongside SteamID's copies of the old FN archives?

I can see others argue in this case, about "Why not do this Non-FN with your own server?" .. "You can accomplish this in the Alphaa!" yada-yada.. but the evidence is simple enough - If we did this Non-FN we would not have the XP rates, nor restrictions that we are used to for the official server environment.

- It can be locked at times privately (passworded), for development team.. thothie, and scripters to do their work without interferance/spoilers.

- It can be unlocked for public testing when needed.

This would allow us, in my eyes - seek balancing and live tests, not only by the development team; but by people like me.. who want to contribute in some way, by playing long enough to spot evident changes or look over code that needs to be fixed (an example is to be sent to thothie in a second.)

Ideas? Opinions? Comments?

This was mostly aimed at RKS-PY004 and Thothie.

Last edited:

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
How about a patch
There's plenty that can be done, if you wanna help.

This could be beneficial for testing big changes, or changes that need a lot of testing. (Stuff with low drop rates, new items, ect.) Testing with the FN rule set would get better results than you ever could on a local server, and even better if you have multiple people there to test.
There may have to be a way to encourage people to actually bug report instead of just checking out the new stuff.

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Send to me by Smiles, via Steam Platform:

Smiles: Yeah possibly it would give some people incentive to play more though if they had to work for it again and were attracted to it
Smiles: the fixing issues is a big help just needs something else new to get people to want to play
Smiles: maybe the release of exclusive maps to the server(s) or something
Smiles: ill deff be there to test if need me too though
Smiles: see if that damn poison rune crashes the server still lol

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think if anything at all got done around here people might still play.
There's plenty that can be done, if you wanna help.
Here's a few things you can do:
Code:
monsters/shadow_form tends to get stuck on top of your head if it gets too close.

foutpost
likes to take you to phobia when you votemap away from it, even if you haven't lost
(check outpost/super)

Feel free to reply once you've contributed

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We use a passworded alpha test server from time to time which uses a recent copy of the FN archive but it set to server side characters, and thus won't affect FN characters. Haven't had the alpha in a state where it'd be real good for testing for awhile though. Most of the regular mappers also have an alpha package for testing. (Some have also been testing with our Svencoop engine package, it seems.)

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Here's a few things you can do:
Code:
monsters/shadow_form tends to get stuck on top of your head if it gets too close.

foutpost
likes to take you to phobia when you votemap away from it, even if you haven't lost
(check outpost/super)

Feel free to reply once you've contributed
Small things that should not be preventing us from having a small content patch, for several years.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well this sounds similiar to the old public testing sessions, which kinda still happen in less frequency i think.

It's actually a good idea, it's both fun messing around with new things along with other people and see possible broken things with new stuff planned for the game, back when keldorn used to test patches, i used to tag along and help him a few with the testing.

First public testing i did was lodagond-4 with a bunch of old people in the community, good times, wish that stuff kept on going.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Small things that should not be preventing us from having a small content patch, for several years.
Should explain we were dead in the water for the first few years due to a rather nasty, potentially server destroying exploit we needed help on, and string space issues to the degree where we couldn't start most maps (and still can't start a lot of maps on Listenservers).

Plus, he's only talking of small simple script stuff that he thinks you could learn to do in short order that he's not already working on. Gotta lotta maps to iron out, unique loot to make, gotta redo most of the mob layout on The Wall for the new elves, get the new male elf wizards done, consolidate some more models, iron out the new lore library system, rework parry, deal with about 50 spread exploits, and bunch of other stuff. True though, mostly down to smaller tasks.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Touche

just being a dissenting blind consumer like anyone else, we just want to play D:

We do appreciate all you guys do, regardless. Even just letting us know how things are going is enough to keep people excited about the game. Any progress is progress.

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
We use a passworded alpha test server from time to time which uses a recent copy of the FN archive but it set to server side characters, and thus won't affect FN characters. Haven't had the alpha in a state where it'd be real good for testing for awhile though. Most of the regular mappers also have an alpha package for testing. (Some have also been testing with our Svencoop engine package, it seems.)

Is it possible to do the same idea, but on a current-patch server in any way perhaps? Like the only difference being is the files on the server will change (that being what the scripters/developers make) , if it's passworded or unlocked, a seperate sub-FN database (that's fresh/new, maybe modified XP rates, test characters or old FN archives) .. and if we have any script edits to test without downloading a new alpha.

It would be very awesome if this is possible, so any script testing that doesn't require a new massive patch or alpha would be great - testing new and creative scripts, loot tables, items.. anything script/code related; without all of the hassle and wait. To sum this thread up in my question and this reply/quoted post.. to 'live' test any script changes to a testing server, where we can gain public feedback and lock/unlock it at leisure, and make any changes. As to where it would not effect the official FN database, where our ACTUAL player files are located, and risks cannot be taken.

Last edited:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Is it possible to do the same idea, but on a current-patch server in any way perhaps? L
No, sadly we broke compatibility between the patches just a few weeks after the last patch's release (or we woulda at least released a mini-patch to fix the dwarf and skycastle bugs). At this point, so much has been done there's no way to reverse engineer a server-side patch.