Spell Tweaks And Grand Master Spells

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Maybe the first spell should be a fireball. Reason being is that it doesn't make sense that a lightning bolt should come from the sky in an underground dungen or in a enclosed cave. A more experienced wizard could do it from the finger tips like you showed in the video. But the whole collecting the lighting from the sky in your hand and then calling forth it from the heavens just doesn't seem right in the enclosed areas I have mentioned. Maybe you could make certain restrictions on certain spells. Like if you can swim under water any type of fire spell would not work at all.

(A nice map and spell idea. The Lizard race and it's aquatic home was made into an expansion. The Lizard race could either live under water and or just hold it's breath for a very long time and were the best swimmers. Spells in EQ that were expensive and or potions aloud either magic users or nonmagic users the ability to go underwater as well for long periods of time as well. The map in it self would only be for high level characters with a certain spells or with enough money to go exploring and you could make all sorts of under water creatures unique to that lands. Underwater lake to explore, underwater caverns, sea weed on the ground coral, non meaning schools of fish just for the look and feel. Not every thign has to be water on the map though. maybe after a while the water cavern opened up to dry parts. Maybe there could be an underwater boss as well. Like Posiden or the Craken etc. You would need to be in a high level party. No person by him self regardless the level should be able to beat it alone.)

Also maybe you could also make Grand Master spells if you have not done so already. Such as for the lightning skill you can charge a skill that would leave you vunerabel for a certain amount of time, but on the server that every one can see the clouds in an open plains map gather fast and hard and rolling thunder can be heard with a lighting flash here and there dancing in the clouds them selves. Then once the spell has been casted the lightning bolts come raining down from the heavens and is very powerful and does it repatedly with in a certain amount of space hitting random spots with multiple bolts hitting th eground as well.

Maybe the same could occur with white clouds with the ice skill. A blizzard starts after the white clouds cover the sky and both freezing snow and sleet come whirling around from the clouds and wind. The ground and trees temporarily get covered in about a foot of snow and all the enemies freeze in their tracks after a few seconds or instantly. Either than you can go and wack them to death where they break apart or they shatter as soon as they are frozen or they simply just "freeze" to death and collapse when the spell is completed and all the snow melts instantly.

I can think of a few others. This idea came from both Horizons which is a MMORPG where a Druid could call forth a lightning storm and it's own personal storm cloud formed from the sky. Also it is like Golden Axe, but instead of having max potions it is max skill which is why I called it a Grand Master spell.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i have noticed that you like to write a lot...

good ideas but would take a lot of time to make and would look a lot better on source

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea I do tend to write a lot... could make an online story book like Ever Quest did with actual books/guides. Hahaha. Would need a person who could draw though.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the first spell was originally fire dart...not sure why it was changed, really...i guess it was because its stronger than lightning...?

anyways, i've suggested a somewhat similar approach to "grand master spells" to thothie, but i doubt it will be added anytime soon...

my idea involved "mastering" certain spells at certain levels, at that point your damage with that spell would cease to increase - but the spell itself would become much more powerful (IE fire dart would turn into something like keledros's neat little fire-shotgun)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the summoning spells are currently the only one's that have "mastery" levels sort of speak, in that they kinda upgrade to new sorts of monsters in the same category as you level. I won't be able to add more of those until I get this model consolidation worked out (TONS of things are on hold due to that.)

The tri-firedart idea is kinda iffy due to the regular fire-darts seem to be our #1 edict crashers. I may have fixed this, but I've not gotten two or three guys doing a fire dart training run on Calruin2 again to really stress-test it. Besides, there's Fire-ball, which is a hell of a lot better than three darts. ;)

I might add items that increase a particular spell category's damage, but are mutually exclusive, and require that you have said category at a certain level to equip them.

I *might* be able to tweak the erratic lightning bolt so it won't fire less there's sky above the target point, and toss in another not-so-erratic lightning bolt that fires from the fingers without having too many people yelling at me.

Suspect the snow storm idea you have there would be too much for HL1. The only way I can think to do it is to generate a few billion snow sprites on the client, and I suspect his whole system would, somewhat ironically, freeze to death. There's no decal nor texture change function in the scripts, adding one maybe beyond what I can do for it.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Besides, there's Fire-ball, which is a hell of a lot better than three darts. ;)

true but its always nice to have a lot of stuff

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ah but thothie, what about fireball mastery ;)

also, if you *can* rig erratic lightning to only work outdoors...then that gives me an idea for t3h uber fire spell of dewm...

meteor! lol, damage in a large radius where you shoot it, only works outdoors, die boars, die!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Think someone suggested that already... Although what I thought you were thinking of at first was Tri-FireBALL - which would be INSANE. ;) Fireball has a 256 unit blast radius with no fall-off. Try that with three of them, and I think you'd cover your whole visual plane on any sane map. (Not to mention completely fry the CPU on impact.)

Fire breath, and Meteor are two abilities I've been considering for the Greater Fire Elemental. Odds are, if you see a monster get a spell, it's in line to become a player spell.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'm always open to help test anything you need. And if you want to test the limits for fire dart, go to a map with a spam of monsters (ie Hungry Skeletons in lostcastle)

Also, can't you have the fire helms and those increase your magical attack in that category?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm always open to help test anything you need. And if you want to test the limits for fire dart, go to a map with a spam of monsters (ie Hungry Skeletons in lostcastle)
I'm not sure why, but a couple of nubs were able to crash the server repeatedly that way on Calruin2 a few months ago - there are a lot of active ents in there (I dunno if the text limit is a factor, but it set to 8k). They had the same issue on their own server. I tried improving the edict spam control (some of which may have not been doing its job) - but I've not manage to snag the same nubs. If you wanna find four or five people who can dedicated themselves to fire-darting from the start to Calrian, be my guest.

Also, can't you have the fire helms and those increase your magical attack in that category?
I was hoping for some mage robes for each element down the line (yes, I realize, I'm dreaming). Damage increase and protection on the same item is a bit much though, I'd have to pick one or the other. They also don't look like mage items, so the protection seems to fit them a bit better.

Jerrid

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I *might* be able to tweak the erratic lightning bolt so it won't fire less there's sky above the target point, and toss in another not-so-erratic lightning bolt that fires from the fingers without having too many people yelling at me.

I have been having problems with this spell from time to time. I know I should be hitting the target because I can see it going through it, but the target does not glow nor do the words on the bottom right say I hit or miss.

At first I thought it was maybe a high level boar... but even the rats do not get affected some times. Do you know what the problem is? I hit a lot of the times so I doubt it is the low spell.

And as a magic user how do you gain HP and Mana? I have had only 5 HP and 10 mana for a while now. And how do I raise the rest of my skills that are atleast magic based? The only thing I am raising is my lightning spell and martial arts.

And speaking of martial arts after a certain level can you do more than just punch? Like kicks (At least.), head butts, elbows, kness, jump kicks ect.?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Erratic Lightning is hard to aim - as the name suggets - the target point is about the dead center of your screen, but it moves a bit. It also has a range cap that seems somewhat hard to predict.

And as a magic user how do you gain HP and Mana? I have had only 5 HP and 10 mana for a while now. And how do I raise the rest of my skills that are atleast magic based? The only thing I am raising is my lightning spell and martial arts

Pure mage = suicide in MSC. Eventually you must broaden your horizons and improve your physique by training with some heavier weapons.

And speaking of martial arts after a certain level can you do more than just punch? Like kicks (At least.), head butts, elbows, kness, jump kicks ect.?

Used to work like that. Hoping to get kick back some day, but the only person I've had offer to setup the model kinda comes and goes. I suspect even if we do get the kick viewmodel, we won't get the player animation though.