Some models

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Wow, if those models can be used in ms:c, would be damn amazing!

Looking forward to that #2 sword to get in-game anytime soon, i don't mind the others either. :mrgreen:

PS: Dem staves and bars!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oooo... Purrrty Shainees...

Seems they are all in Source format, but I thinks I can converts them.
pg_deko_screenie.jpg
Yup...

If/when we get around to actually using some of these, shall we use "ProgSys" and your gaming-models.de use page for the credits.txt?

ProgSys

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
If/when we get around to actually using some of these, shall we use "ProgSys" and your gaming-models.de use page for the credits.txt?

Ye, you can use "ProgSys" for the name. For the page it is better to use my steam page, gaming-models.de is old and slowly dying.

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Dem logs!
Lumberjack profession now!

Thank you for those nice models.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
He said the models are from a dead mod. He never said he made them. Also, I love how you guys are scrambling to back-port Source-quality models to MS:C instead of suggesting they be used for MS:S. :roll:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Orochi said:
He said the models are from a dead mod. He never said he made them. Also, I love how you guys are scrambling to back-port Source-quality models to MS:C instead of suggesting they be used for MS:S. :roll:
MS:C Actually exists

ZING

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Orochi said:
MS:C Actually exists

ZING

Took the words right from my mouth. :eek:

And besides if you are going to be picky like that, you should realise that both mods could use the models, not just one. :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gods damnit you guis! :evil:

Orochi said:

Actually, I thought you were dead-set against using any materials not manufactured specifically for the game (or part of the SDK), to avoid the rather, to put it kindly, inconsistent appearance we tend to have in MSC.

But as the bugger never mentioned Source in his main post, I hadn't though of MSS until I downloaded them and noticed that, yes indeed, these are Source models. PM'd him on the subject of making new models for MSS, but no response yet.

...And he did rather imply he made them, however, and, given the size of his modeling page, assuming it's his, it seems likely. This is the internet, so there's only so much verification I can do - plus I'm lazy - not that both of those things haven't come to bite me in the ass before.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I scoped it out, evidently they are in fact his.

It's not so much that I'm dead set against using contributed content, it's that I'm not going the route of MS:C and designing weapons to fit the models we get instead of the other way around. I also want to maintain a consistent art style. However, this fellow looks like he can do fairly "generic" quality models (I.E flexible, easily adapted into another art style) so his models are fine. The main thing I'm looking for in models is high-quality, high-to-medium detail fantasy stuff; no TF2-styled cartooniness, no Goldsrc-level detail. I want stuff that looks like it could be from Portal 2 or L4D2 on medium settings. (we'll be LODing the models anyway)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you want a consistent style, given that there's little chance that you'll find a single modeler prolific enough to create all the models you'll need, you should establish some specific quirks and frills that dominate the items, monsters, and even terrain and architecture, that each modeler and mapper can adapt, or that can be "tacked on" to existing models and maps, and thus "MSS'ify" them. Tis how most retail games establish their own look, even if some tend to be more generic than others (Elder Scrolls vs. World of Warcraft or Torchlight). Even map side, the style between the Rickler maps and Dangerous Pass, for instance, is already pretty staggering.

One could, for instance, mandate purple vein wraps, or a dirty look for skins, a predefined set of tribal tattoos, ornate wood patterns or gems sets for weapons, rotted cloth textures and trims, terrain blooms and fissures of a certain style, patterns for ruins, prefabs, a unique tree set, etc.

I suspect, whoever your first primary modeler is, would be the one with the chance to establish this style.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just have someone who can make some concept art while guiding him/her to make sketches matching your preferred style for the game, or just make some drawings yourself if you feel confident.

Seriously people, nobody is going to make anything like you want to unless you tell/show them them beforehand how stuff is supposed to look like.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
FER said:
Seriously people, nobody is going to make anything like you want to unless you tell/show them them beforehand how stuff is supposed to look like.

This.

Even then chances it won't work are still there, noticeable. So good luck. :roll:

ProgSys

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I made all the models my self, about 2 years ago.

I never know that there are two different mods, I just used the links on ModDB and landed here. :D
Both mods can use them, if they want, its fine by me.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
ProgSys said:
Both mods can use them, if they want, its fine by me.

And this is how it should go if they end up using it... Games are within the same world, a small difference in timelines but the weaponry could remain similiar from one game to another.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i would hate to see the models we have in msc mixed with the source version. most of them look like their based on anime swords , with horrible textures and horrible tri useage. on top of that , the models in msc are so different from one another it was hard trying to come up with a design for my hammer in the competition.. (not that im the best modeler on earth)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Obviously when i said share the models between both games, i meant the one's that are actualyl worth porting to source, there are a few items that look nifty and are worthy of that. And again quite a bunch of the latest items are ripped from other games, source needs to avoid that.