Servers won't let me play

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
For some reason, whenever I join any of the servers, I only stay there for a few seconds, and then I am booted back to start. Can someone please why this is happening and/or how I can fix this? It has been a while, and I would like to try playing the game with someone else instead of just running around on my own in my little LAN server. :oldangry:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
You may not have the newest betapack. Check your console to see what error it gives you.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
You may not have the newest betapack. Check your console to see what error it gives you.
Okay, it says:
"Client out of date!"
"Update www.msremake.com/download.php"
When I looked it up, I got a "File could not be found" site. I'm guessing that I have to download something. But what? Could you please tell me?

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Better just to send him to the downloads page as those links change.

However, "Client does not match server" errors, thanks to Valve funkiness, do not mean what they used to mean:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3125

You may have simply not updated your Half-Life in ages.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Bad news: My computer has informed me that all the betapack installers are corrupted and that they will not work. Now I really need some serious help.

And just so you know and all, Thothie, I have Half-Life at it's latest update, so I'm good on that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Dallas, NY, and one of the Chicago links all download and install fine for me... Are you using some sort of download accelerator?

I am noticing the LA link is dead though - think the related server was removed in favor of France. Ping to Dallas is good enough for most of the west coast anyways - so I suppose we can surrender to France, for a switch.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The Dallas, NY, and one of the Chicago links all download and install fine for me... Are you using some sort of download accelerator?

I am noticing the LA link is dead though - think the related server was removed in favor of France. Ping to Dallas is good enough for most of the west coast anyways - so I suppose we can surrender to France, for a switch.
No, I'm just downloading it like normal: no download accelerators or nothing, and yet I'm being told by my computer that the files are corrupted and cannot be used.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Maybe your virus scanner doesn't like NSIS installers or something... What OS are ya using? :\

Meanwhile, all I can think that ya might be able to do, is grab RKS's full server installer (which is huge), rip out the MSC folder, and drop it in your %steampath%\steamapps\common\Half-Life\ folder, restart Steam, and hope for the best.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Maybe your virus scanner doesn't like NSIS installers or something... What OS are ya using? :\

Meanwhile, all I can think that ya might be able to do, is grab RKS's full server installer (which is huge), rip out the MSC folder, and drop it in your %steampath%\steamapps\common\Half-Life\ folder, restart Steam, and hope for the best.
I have Norton (which might be it), and when you say put it in my Half-Life folder, does that mean I have to put it in my Master Sword: Continued folder specifically or something?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The MSC folder should go into your <whereverthehellyoursteamis>\steamapps\common\Half-Life\ folder, specifically. So you end up with a half-life\msc folder.

If you right click on Half-Life in your Steam Library, click Properties, click Local Files, and Browse Local Files, and the resulting path has your user name in it, you need to reinstall Half-Life, as that's the older configuration.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The MSC folder should go into your <whereverthehellyoursteamis>\steamapps\common\Half-Life\ folder, specifically. So you end up with a half-life\msc folder.

If you right click on Half-Life in your Steam Library, click Properties, click Local Files, and Browse Local Files, and the resulting path has your user name in it, you need to reinstall Half-Life, as that's the older configuration.
Ahh, so I'm basically re-installing the game. I gotcha. Oh, and my Half-Life path doesn't have my name in it, so I'm good on that.