Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I call for a re-vote

So far the Hard coding has NOT got us anywhere, and its not even for game play as pronounced in my suggestion thread.

This mod needs to have a stick of adrenline!...

So we are concluding for a possible re-vote

-Pets
-Etc.

Currently reading the new update, it sounds good, but yeah..

RULES:
Post your thinking, and don't critize!

Btw.. I dont mean to affend the people for all the hard work done so far, i'm just saying.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
If I have to vote again, I vote for more nightmare versions of current maps :) these are frigging awesome! And it would expend gameplay a lot to have keys for every single maps but I don't see what would keep those who don't have the key from getting in these maps, when server changes map, it does change map no matter what your inventory is but I'm sure Thothie will come up with something :wink:
BTW Thothie, if you give up hard code, I'm sure everybody will understand since it's such a mess and most of us can live with these bugs.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
My vote would mostly go to Nightmare maps/Weapon balance.

I'd really like some weapons re-balanced,nerfed,buffed,ect.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I would still say hard code, I know it must be a real pain in the arse to work with. However if these bugs are removed and even if the code is cleaned up it would make it much more easy to work with for future development. However I guess in the end MS:S is going to be taking the lead at somepoint replacing this version...

I still vote for hardcode.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Blasto121 said:
I would still say hard code, I know it must be a real pain in the arse to work with. However if these bugs are removed and even if the code is cleaned up it would make it much more easy to work with for future development.

I still vote for hardcode.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
instead of a poll for a revote. why not make a poll with all the options as before? would save time :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
erm...why did we have thothie do hard code in the first place -.-;;

he warned you all that he probably wouldn't be able to do much with it...some other people around here might be able to get a compile done by fixing syntax errors and scuh - given enough time - but likely dont have the experience to add major features or do much lag reduction...(talkin about MiB)

thothie's time would be much better spent finsihing up the maps he had been working on, or getting other things working/done ...

and no, i didn't vote hard code :p

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well thats not a resonable answer J-M.

Yeah, It is our fault, but Thothie just can't get through the hard codes, as he proclaimed, his talents are limited to a max. In other words, its like trying to get through a 50 inch brick wall, which on the other side is immortality.

quote- "he warned you all that he probably wouldn't be able to do much with it...some other people around here might be able to get a compile done by fixing syntax errors and scuh - given enough time - but likely dont have the experience to add major features or do much lag reduction...(talkin about MiB) "
--> Also rember, that the lag can be caused by overflows, HL1 is pretty dam good for handling what is currently in MS:C... I rember that cs 1.5 could be ran on my 1.5. In otherwords, hl1 is maxxed out at a low point, there fore the lag etc!
--> Unlike HL2, which it is not capped at any particular point, besides the 2000 zombie hordes in cs_office.

Kurk, and Blasto, I agree that the hard code is doing for a good cause, but rember, ThoThie is maxxed at a certain point of coding, some he has been at it with some other people for years, so he told me.

Belmont, yeah I do like the new maps, they add an additon to new style maps and mysterious fun, besides when you join, or somone joins your sever, and do it with there eyes closed, which causing you to lose the fun.
Towards the weapon part, I think new style weapons, and moves / skills would be insanely awsome, but then which leads us to hard coding for weapon / skills stuff.

I think that if we were to move into a 1st person mmorpg, with mmorpg styles, it would be flawless.... But that would take some brainstorming.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
BioRage said:
Well thats not a resonable answer J-M.

Yeah, It is our fault, but Thothie just can't get through the hard codes, as he proclaimed, his talents are limited to a max. In other words, its like trying to get through a 50 inch brick wall, which on the other side is immortality.

Well wtf :eek:

That brick wall could be a mile thick, I'd blow its ass open if immortality lay on the other side!! Hell... it could be as thick as the diameter of the sun! I'd just keep on nuking & that such till I got through!!

But me... I sadly voted Yes.

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT THOUGH! I meant to say no, but clicked wrong button & pressed ENTER; which was my ruin :(

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Look, BioRage, as far as I can tell, you would love to see pets in-game as fast as possible.

I think Thothie should keep working on the hardcode because there are surely things he can fix. If there are things he can't fix, it does not mean there aren't things he can fix (such as the bank, for example).

The pets system sounds really complicated, and I (personally) don't think it's worth the trouble.

As for other stuff, like more maps... I don't need another frozen summit style map that takes two hours to complete with four others, sorry (and no offense to Avoozl, the map looks good, it's just the playability that's not the best I've seen in an MS: C map).

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
J-M, you realize that the code wont compile right now...right? no compiling means he can't fix any of it, well, he can...but if it doesn't compile his fixes dont matter...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I believe it's either because he's missing some files or VS2005 isn't working right.

Speaking of that, I asked my roommate and he said it's allright to use his VS2003 >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I managed to snag a copy of VS2003 from an ex yerday... Although I've not had the chance to install it and see if it's intact.

Seems to be large chunks of code are missing even with the newest DL I got.

Pets = Infinitely simpler than hard code (although I'm worried that they may encourage character overflow - have to test that bit)

Rebuild from scratch effort is a fail due to not being able to find the code for critical functions, nor be certain enough of what they do to re-write.

All a moot point in anycase, as if I can't get a working compile by the end of December, I'm giving up on it and tossing the whole thing at MiB.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
What is your obsession with the phrase "toss it" lately?

At the very least, use "throw". It's more program-my >_>

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Indeed it's like the "MS 1.4" most of the code appears to be missing. And re-coding it all really isn't worth it due to the small base this game has sadly. Way too much work for ten's of people to enjoy.

Even my server feels totally over powered for what little it handles. I'm pretty sure my old 486 could replace it now more efficiently. Thothie has done an insane amount of work give what little bits he has to work with. Something that he rarely receives thanks for yet deserves just as much as anyone that has brought MS:C/1.3/1.0 to existence.

Unfortunately regardless of how much someone does there is always that one person demanding something because they are unwilling to learn themselves and want someone else to do it. Never are any thanks heard, same goes for hosting the character server. It's down for just a bit and people are like ONO END OF WORLD FIX IT OR ELSE. And technically Thothie has been doing most of the running of the [FN] server I've just been providing the hardware/connection.

Then again I'm even surprised it's up or as stable as it has been. :oldlol:

I for one voted no because the code is beyond repair (again) so it would appear. And the job he has done with scripting alone is simply astounding.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I find it funny that Fuzzy misunderstood the 2 options and voted for the wrongs one :)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
how bout we all vote to let thothie do what the fuck he wants... that way he atleast has some kind of fun or feeling of acomplishment of his work?

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I always thank the people who brought this game into the world, Just so you know who it is I really thank...

Thothie for expanding on shakey ground with his many a script file
and of course you fuzzy for taking darn good care of that server of yours.
Also one can not forget the many mappers who contributed to the world of MS:C. I also must give thanks to the person who created the musical score for the whole of the game, it really was done quite nicley. I am sure there are many others to thank but I suck with names so thanks for everything everyone!

I for one will never give up on the hard code, if need be I have a C++ book on hand, and by the end of this year I shall have a fair ammount of knowledge in the world of programming. (I am getting a 2-year degree in it) So after everyone has given up on it, I would love to get a hold of the original sorce code just to see if I can't squish them bugs and bring it back without any problems( might make a good school project to!)

(this gave me a perfect excuse to thank everyone, so thanks again!) 8)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
But you're missing the point that Thothie knows how to program (at least somewhat) in C++, it's just that he's missing some files or VS2005 is messing up where VS2003 won't (We'll know that soon)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well... Hmmmmm... I'm not sure if I should mention this for fear of getting everyone's hopes up but... I took some bits and pieces from Little G's beta leak, stuck it together with the official source in VS2003..... and it looks like, it's compiled...

It's ignoring my changes to the MS_VERSION version control var, perhaps cuz version control perms aren't setup right... And it's coming out a tad smaller than the dev_h.DLL (this maybe because I changed the optimization, although the way I changed it - it should have been larger, rather than smaller), but my server is running on the ms.dll I compiled, and it hasn't exploded yet. (I joined, killed and purchased some items in Edana, and nothing unusual happened)... So hmm... May work out after all...

TBH: The fact that we only have a few dozen players is probably what keeps me working on this... Seems I abandon any project that gets too popular... Then again, I should be working on WW, as it's even more desperate for help than this mod.