My new toy...

Cyrez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ran a CSS server and a GMod server on it a little last night. I think it had feelings it would be yawning. :oldlol:

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Does this mean a new MSC server? :p

Cyrez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I can't leave it running all the time where it is now, which is in my bedroom. Those are most certainly NOT designed to be run in a bedroom. I might fire up my old server on this hardware once in a while, but there's this wonderful girl that's in love with me and likes to play CSS and GMod... So, best I can promise is that I'll fire it up when I can. :mrgreen:

If I do fire it up, though, you'll be happy to know that given certain factors and needs I have a Comcast Business cable connection with 6 total static IP's including the gateway, and the server is using one of those dedicated IP's.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Note to self:

Dispose of Cyrez's girlfriend so we can have more MS:C servers.

Cyrez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I suppose I can try just letting it run... I've got four cores to work with. But if it lags a running Source server I may have to shut it down briefly. Still, it's loud so I can't leave it running 24/7 and there's pretty much nowhere else I can put it.

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Cyrez said:
I suppose I can try just letting it run... I've got four cores to work with. But if it lags a running Source server I may have to shut it down briefly. Still, it's loud so I can't leave it running 24/7 and there's pretty much nowhere else I can put it.
I am most of time able to keep mine running 24/7... So, you show be able to, but you might want to see about getting more fans for it or whatever. Anyways, if ya really need to shut it down just shut it down at night, much people seem to not play then.

Cyrez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wishbone said:
I am most of time able to keep mine running 24/7... So, you show be able to, but you might want to see about getting more fans for it or whatever. Anyways, if ya really need to shut it down just shut it down at night, much people seem to not play then.
I'm not so sure you understand... The issue is the somewhat high-pitched whirring noise made by the large number of tiny high-RPM fans inside the server. I've gotta sleep at some point, you know. :-(

If I had another place I could put it outside of my room I'd just leave it on all the time.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well you can always get out of the room and sleep outside... :mrgreen:

Cyrez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, that was fun! So, questions/comments? Oh, and yesterday HLDS was running from a RAM disk. :mrgreen:

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
You could turn it into a "kitchen" server. Get some tools, an old POS drawer from a cabinet (can find those at a junkyard), and mouth it in your kitchen. Screw a couple of fans in, after drilling holes in the drawer to allow them to pull/push air in and out. Give it a dedicated source of power (an outlet in the kitchen?).

That way, it'll be somewhere you'll always check anyways (to make sure nothing is going wrong with it), and it won't make such noise that it'll bother you as you sleep (your fridge will be louder).

Most importantly, it's cheap as shit yet innovative.

EDIT:
If you're real innovative, I've seen some one of my battlebuddy's computers - he actually modified his fridge to run air from the freezer into his case, through a couple of filters and with lots of insulation. Only two fans - one for outtake in his case, one to bring cold air from his freezer. Running an adapter that measures his electric bill through an outlet, he found that it only increased his bill by roughly $7 a month.

The base "tubing" he used with a simple 8ft. dryer vent that you can get from Walmart for $10, to connect them (case and freezer).