MSC Freezes my laptop

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
MSC outright freezes my laptop, just before it shuts itself down. I've checked, and it isn't a thermal issue. I can play Skyrim on medium settings for hours, no problem. Natural Selection runs like a dream. Something about MSC specifically causes my computer to freeze and shut-down, very suddenly, and very much so an annoyance.

While I'm a proud basher of some changes, I'm actually rather happy to see some of the features and changes that have taken place since I last played (many months ago)... now, if only I could play for more than an hour without having to start my laptop back up.

I have no doubt that my lil thing, capable of champing Skyrim with 80+fps on medium settings, is more than capable of rocking MSC. Yes, all drivers are up-to-date... no, I don't have conflicting drivers or codecs... yes, I do know what I'm talking about (I've spent a great deal of time building and customizing computers - Jabba knows, I've blown over $9,000 before to make my super computer, of which I, sadly, sold before I went to basic training after enlisting - good thing, though, since my ole'party peeps woulda broken in and robbed me blind had I not).

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you can get ingame, try turning your bloom off by pressing B. I also get random lag spikes once in a while, that freeze my game for like 3-5 seconds... sometimes my game crashes aswell on start up or in certain maps.

Not sure what else could be causing this, perhaps you should try playing with steam in offline mode and see if it gets better?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
3-5 second freezes and CTDs would be acceptable for me. However, complete, forced computer shutdowns are not.
I'll try disabling Bloom Mod, and hopefully that fixes it. It's happened seven times already (every time my Intel Corei7, being the hottest running deal, was at approximately ~40 Celsius, way below thermal shutoff range), and I've just managed to get polearms to level twelve... I'm so pathetic. :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, there is the usual question as to what kind of graphics card you are using. The card that can pull 100FPS on Skyrim at max settings may crap out on MSC, if it's an ATI/AMD, due to said brand's crappy OpenGL support...

You mention NS, but I'm not sure if you mean ye old NS, or ye new NS2, and if ye ol' classic, whether or not you are running in OpenGL or DirectX mode.

The extension layers include the bloom mod and the potion hud. So, in addition to ms_bloom_level 0, you may also try ms_hidehud 1. (If it turns out you need to hide the hud, you may also want to use show_health 1, once in game, to echo your health/mp levels to the text event hud.)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I was referring to ye'old and new NS (Classic and NS2). It's an NVidia card, GT330M. I run classic NS on OpenGL.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
It's an NVidia card, GT330M. I run classic NS on OpenGL.
Well, golly gee hoss, I dunno then... :\ That's the same graphics my fat laptop uses, and I use that as a secondary client, when I'm testing simple multi-player issues. It doesn't run MSC real well, but it doesn't crash...

It is possible that we're going at this at the wrong angle, and it's simply your character is corrupted in some way. If I had your Steam ID, I could install your character on my local client and see what happens, or you could try the old rollback route.