Make Envenomed Plate Great Again

Cyclophammer

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Can we show some love for this beautiful piece of armory? Currently there are only two benefits to Envenomed vs. Acid Plate:
1. Requires 5 less Strength to wield. (Considering current XP a non issue)
2. You don't have dried period blood all over your body.
It seems that the two items are flipped. Envenomed plate being a much harder item to obtain compared to acid plate.
I don't see a point in having an item outperformed by another one being accessible much earlier, especially when armors are far and few between.
As always, either change it or remove it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the rather huge advantage Acid Plate has, in addition to an aura, rather than when struck, is it damages everything, while the undead and constructs, which make up maybe 2/3rds of the mobs you encounter, are immune to poison.

The Envenomed Plate, however, should be more effective against living things than Acid Plate with a longer DOT. I'll look into it, in order to make sure it's the case, and bump it to the top of the list of semi-uniques to distribute more widely. (edit: Actually, it's already there. Also tweaked the DOT duration - already does more damage per tick.)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
All of the cool looking armors should provide different levels of resistance to slash, pierce and blunt type damage so that no one armor is better than the others in every situation.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sadly wouldn't make a difference for most monsters though - or woulda done it for all armors ages ago. We didn't have the ability to define anything but DOT damage types for the majority of the game's history, thus most mobs that don't do elemental damage, do generic damage that wouldn't register for such a system. It'd also require changes to base_armor, so I canna do it this patch without tripping the string space limit.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
mobs that don't do elemental damage, do generic damage that wouldn't register for such a system.
This has always bothered me, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of there being such a vast amount of different mobs that would need modifying to fix?

Adding slash/blunt/pierce resistance could be a part of the item modification system in the future maybe?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This has always bothered me, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of there being such a vast amount of different mobs that would need modifying to fix?

Adding slash/blunt/pierce resistance could be a part of the item modification system in the future maybe?
Yes (on the "epic task" list), and yes, doable.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, getting to the point where near anything will, but I can't think of an easy layman's explanation. In most cases, anything that affects several things globally, and isn't replacing an existing system, particularly in regards to items or things that happen at map load, is gonna eat into string space. Most every change we've made in the past year or so usually entails rewriting several other lengthy base scripts to whittle them down. It's usually easier to recreate such bases from scratch, taking advantage of newer commands to reduce the amount of text and variables required, but that tends to involve new bugs as well, so it becomes a bit of a vicious cycle.

It was initially tripped by the addition of an array based gauntlet system, and we recovered from that by re-writing a bunch of bases (still lost our listenserver reliability though). When we tried to add the item mod system (even as an applyeffect, so we didn't need more than a few new lines in the bases), it quickly became clear we'd lost the ability even add a handful of lines to the base item scripts before various maps stopped loading. @Solokiller took some stabs at it in 2016, but didn't buy us much there, pointing to engine limitations, and giving us a better idea of what we could and couldn't do. New dynamic quest systems have tripped it several times, are largely on hold for similar reasons (requires global monster/player includes), as have complex items with new bases (books), so the lore system is currently in process of being redone, while stripping, narrowing, rewriting, or moving some basic global item/monster functions to make room for it.

Been a nightmare - I suppose it's spurred a lot of optimization (good chunk of the game has more or less been re-written as a result), which is good, but, well, with nothing to show for it, save that the game still runs, and has some new bugs.

Svencoop seems to nix the issue, and I can't seem to trip it again by artificially inflating the scripts there, at least, but it is going to be a whole other can of worms, and we really do need to be sure we can seperate new engine issues from game issues, especially given the fact that we've fundamentally changed how memory management works on our end, for other reasons that similarly stopped development dead for about a year, when Solokiller initially bailed us out.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Can't wait for the "Make fire aura plate great again" thread.

renamon

Adventurer
Reaction score
The envenomed plate should give 75 poison resistance like the cobra skin.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The envenomed plate should give 75 poison resistance like the cobra skin.
Meh, or perhaps do something usefull with it and create something different. E plate is harder to obtain than A plate, A plate makes E plate useless, so change the concept of E plate into something different and voilá, there is a purpose for that specific item. Upping the resist to 75% isn't going to change much when antidote potions are pretty much dropping everywhere.

Fire aura shares a similiar fate, it is kinda useless and also looks good, drops in hard locations. P plate makes it almost useless overall (the only good term on the fire aura is the cold resist which is pointless since you can go to ms_snow, visit the dwarf, buy forsuths ale + cold resist potion for 1k and voilá 100% cold resist achieved, or spend 3k on the cold immunity potion). So yeah.

Personally, what i suggest for both plates:
E plate: becomes the current A plate, A plate should have lower resists and the aura should apply "acid bonus" whenever it manages to hit an enemy, further increasing damage received on the target while it is on acid dot. Similiar to the acid lance.

Fire aura: Can't remember the stats on this thing, but should be 50/50 on resists towards fire and cold, the aura should either apply a fire dot that increases all damage from fire damage type or cold dot that slows down the enemy (again, should be a 50/50 effect so it is somewhat random as you can only get 1 effect or the other). Fire damage increase should be capped low (15-25%), otherwise firebrands stacking on top would make it overkill.