Lodagond-1: New Boss Room

IARI

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Besides that the Boss is now seriousely hard - has actually someone killed him yet?? - I think the new Boss room doesnt fit in the Map aesthetically ... its notjust textures ...
I simply liked how the old one looked better and dint think that thats just because im used to it.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I like the new boss room, it has a new "tactical" feel to it, and Thothie is working on balancing him out. I think the problem is that the god damn Blood Drinker and it's "surpiz buttseck" floor noclippage :|

That and the Lightning storms blocks necessary routes which constantly leads to my death. :(

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I would wonder if anyone would doubt that it needs to be balanced a bit :)

Also i like new tactical opportunities better a lot in general than hiding/suiciding in the trap ...

But what are your impressions about how it looks?
i ve only seen it twice now .... and not long as runegar did not seem to like my company, but theres something about the style i dont like

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, it's more or less the same boss script, he's not any harder - it's mostly the environment... Working on ways to nerf the boss, and possibly add some new features to the boss room (with Crow's permission).

Aesthetically speaking... Well... You can blame me, but I'll blame Crow in turn. ;) He basically took the demo map that I used to demonstrate how the script could be deployed (it's a tricky script to use, that intro bit, teleporters, and all), and plopped it into his current boss chamber... Main issue being, that the demo map I made was never really balanced out for public use.

I agree it's better from a tactical view... It'd take some work to make it fit with the room's aesthetics (more stone and crystal, less wood, me thinks). Multi-level combat is difficult to pull, due to the potential for players and monsters getting stuck in one another and the like.

brian4

New Adventurer
Reaction score
IARI said:
Besides that the Boss is now seriousely hard - has actually someone killed him yet?? - I think the new Boss room doesnt fit in the Map aesthetically ... its notjust textures ...
I simply liked how the old one looked better and dint think that thats just because im used to it.

Agreed.

Aische

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
yea the look doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the level especially the metal bridge thing on the 3rd level ( or was it the second anyway im sure u know what im thinking of ) doesnt fit any medieval setting
but i like the idea of the design reminds me to the cs map rats and all its reincarnations

to the tactic i think more redundant ways to the upper levels would help like a ladder to the 3rd level or some teleporter(s)
and if possible collision scanning ( dont know the english words for that please correct if wrong )for blood drinker

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
New room is awesome in that it requires strategy, and tells everyone who knows how to play, and who relies on traps to avoid being bossfood. It could use a makeover, though ;)
Should add that me and Thraxis had him down to 0 HP bar, but that moron nando went and fed him :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
One of the things that pisses me off about this, is I was able to solo him at level 30 with a DS, pot of Speed, Regen, and G. Protection (didn't die once). So, in all likelihood, he's easier to solo than mass-maul due to the increased likeliness of having targets to feed on, and that's exactly the opposite of the effect I want in a boss. :/

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I feel partly responsible due to 1) I brought up the fact that the teleporters were acting as aid rather than hinderance, and the rooms were pwning edicts to boot, and 2) you used my demonstration room. ;) Ye wouldn't mind if I took a stab at some alterations for it, would ye? I have to work out another multi-level boss room for Sfor, so it might help inspire some design in that department (although, thus far, I think I'm just going to take the boss room that's there and add some platforms - tis rather a different situation there.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright...

I *guess* since people have been attempting to vote for Lodagond-2, reportedly, people have managed to kill this guy under the nerfed version. Wondering what all yer opinions of the nerfed version are, as I've not had a chance to see a sizable crew go up against him thus far.

Basically, I need to know if I should prioritize a room re-design for Lodagond-1 after I finish with Rickler's elementals, or just go straight to Undamael.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well, the new room makes his tornado pretty much useless

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think it's fine now, I don't know what you but he is easier now for some reason. Still rather hard, like a boss should be :)

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything about the boss room, I find it much more fun than any boss rooms out there.
The nerfed Runegarh is a good challenge, not too hard and not too easy (since he's a parrying whore), it still requires some tactics and teamwork and most of all, to not let bloodrinker hit you!
Maybe his regen could be just a bit higher though, but maybe not since I still saw a whole bunch of level 30-35 not being able to kill him many times. He's fun and semi-challenging to beat with 3-4 40+.
Still seems like he's easier with less players.

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well I've both solo'd him under the nerfed version and beat him somwhere around 4 times, 2x with4 and 2x with I believe 6 or so. He seems pretty balanced across the board. The tornado could possibly be a tad faster moving but maybe to compensate hit for less. With the resistance system I'm not 100% sure what the real lightning damage is (hits me for 20 - 40 without ice shield with 60% res when it hits) but that could possibly be bumped up a bit. The blood drinker besides seemingly locking on one person seems fine in it's damage. Maybe give him some stun resistance seeing how he is a leader of the strongest pack of orcs (25 - 50) and it may make him a tad harder without making him overly strong as he was before.

Granted I like a challange, so my points may be completely moot.

However I don't think you intend for a boss to be soloable at low 700 on a map that reads 700 - 1500 hp req, granted i'm not just running in and bashing on him either and it takes a fair bit of skill and time with proper equipment.

Any questions and you can ask here or pm me. Just will have to wait for a response until I get back hom in about half an hour from now.

No need for a total room design though, maybe just thicker walk ways for the tornado to stay on a bit and to open up the LS choke points, and possibly a Tele out to the outside tower so the blood drinker still is dangerous to people looking to heal up.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think a tele out would make it a bit too easy, one of the hardest parts is to heal while LS spawns on you and BD is chasing you.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
I think a tele out would make it a bit too easy, one of the hardest parts is to heal while LS spawns on you and BD is chasing you.

If anything, make the tele itself a challenge, like you have to press a button in the room and make it to the tele before it closes again, and then give said tele a cooldown. I can already see DS hit and tele outs, endlessly.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
villager said:
I like the new boss room, it has a new "tactical" feel to it, and Thothie is working on balancing him out. I think the problem is that the god damn Blood Drinker and it's "surpiz buttseck" floor noclippage :|

That and the Lightning storms blocks necessary routes which constantly leads to my death. :(
omg seriously that fool always does Lightning storm in the stairway to go up and theres no other way around it so you have to sit it out for a bit while that bastard freaking healing! :twisted: I mean Its not impossible just hard to beat you kno?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, just so long as it's hard and not impossible, I won't consider remaking the room a top priority. Granted, I've so many top priorities right now, anything that's not top priority falls right off the radar.

Good news it the little blooddrinker sidequest thingie is about 90% done.

Boom

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Shinitenshi said:
villager said:

omg seriously that fool always does Lightning storm in the stairway to go up and theres no other way around it so you have to sit it out for a bit while that bastard freaking healing! :twisted: I mean Its not impossible just hard to beat you kno?

That's the fun part about the boss room. :wink:

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, just so long as it's hard and not impossible, I won't consider remaking the room a top priority. Granted, I've so many top priorities right now, anything that's not top priority falls right off the radar.

Good news it the little blooddrinker sidequest thingie is about 90% done.
Woah I did't know you were making a little sidquest! w000t nice man ill be looking forward to this!

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Boom said:
Shinitenshi said:
villager said:

That's the fun part about the boss room. :wink:

Btw guys, I made that post when he was nearly impossible to kill. When it felt like he was regenerating from almost everything he did, but now he's kinda enjoyable o:

Boom

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm refering to. I didnt fight him in uber-mode. Thankfully. :wink: