Installing Steam skins...

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided I wanted to have a cool new skin instead of that old boring Dark Messiah steam skin. So I downloaded some skins. Installed them and restarted Steam. Went to settings --> interface --> skins, and nothing. No new skins. Any idea why? I think it might be because I installed them while steam was running. But I dunno. Thanks in advance :D

Ellnic

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
sorry, carnt help you i had same problem a while back now

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I installed a steam skin a long time ago and it worked... Dun recall doing anything special to it. The main thing I would check, is if it is installing to the proper folder.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... thanks to seeing this thread, I'ma go out & DL an old steamskin I used once before (really nice one too)... and I'm not going to share it with you guys & any links either :D

If the DL link is still up, and it installs fine, I'll edit this post with a screenie :D

EDIT:
I think I know what's wrong... you got an old steam skin. Old ones don't work with steam anymore, they need clearly directed folders (like the steamskins steam offers) that show each thing they'll effect...

The old steamskin I wanted to use had a cache folder & stuff, along with a file called project.ils inside of it (NSA steamskin) and it wouldn't work...

I'm going on a hunting spree for new steamskins then :p

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Nope; nothing works with steam now.

I went to that halflife2.filefront place, downloaded a steam skin that wasn't even two weeks old... still wouldn't work.

The inside of the folder had two things about it:
A) Looked the same as a two year old skin
B) Was very different from steam's default given skins

My conclusion... the Steam employee's may have become ass-hats & made it into a regular bitch to install steamskins, especially the old good ones with readme's that simply said to cut & paste them...

WOOT FOR STEAM! It just improved the old WON system's name... again!