I'm a level 95 in Servercrashingmanship

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Appearantly every time I join a server with FN (ever since Vomica's server lagged out while I was attacking a boar) the FN network goes crazy.

Lost connection
Reconnecting
Lost connection
Reconnecting

It has been booting people of of servers. I cant even host my own server without that hapening, even after I deleted all of my characters.

Can I get a steamID wipe or something?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Umm...If you haven't already, you might try dling the latest patch and intstalling it...That might help.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
you mean the message that pops up that says connected to central network?

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Yes the pop up message.

But it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to FN whenever I join the server. Its not ONLY the message cause it boots people and durring the disconnect periods the characters say Loading...

This happens over and over again till I select a character, and even still it keeps doing it for 5 minutes, then for 5 minutes after it seems fine.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
so when you initially join a server you cant click your character for awhile?

i go into console and type "reconnect" and when i get back in its fine.
:/ idk if itll work for you but w/e

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I would do this but I got kicked from a server because because they said I crashed them... Infact I believe them because, the second after I joined there was a lot of "...Departed from the lands"

So it's not really a "I CANT PLLAEY OMG IT WONT LET ME MSC HATESES ME OH NOEZ!" sorta thing... its more of "I'm not going to make others suffer just so I can join servers." Sort of thing.

I mean, sure I can join and walk around and fight all I want, but it screws everyone else up.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Have you tried making sure you aren't infected by a virus, that your Internet connection is above a 56KB, and, also, have you tried totally uninstalling everything MSC related & reinstalling from scratch, new downloads included?

Of course, since this is affecting other people, I wouldn't post a lot of faith in that last thing I mentioned in helping you out... but it is worth a shot :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I can *try* rolling you back, but 1) I need your ID (type "status" in console after connecting to ANY HL1 mod server)

It *sounds* more like a connection problem of some sort though, rather than a corrupt character.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Well I got 256k upload speed, and my firewall is set to unblock.

It didn't start happening till after I got lagged out while attacking a boar and spawned with a boar skin flat through my char's body. If it IS my connection, and it is effecting others, this should go in the bug list.

I have my steam ID here in my SAVE folder from when I tried to run server side characters on LAN. I will PM that to you shortly.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Try turning on your DMZ (Dematerialized Zone).

I have found turning that on works *much* better than simply opening ports and turning off firewalls... but that's just me :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
IIRC he decided the character was so young, it wasn't worth the rollback and deleteified it. Last I heard he was doing alright. Still not sure if it was the character or his FN connection - but somtimes characters corrupt, especially, as J-M has said, if you click on em repeatedly during load (need to look into that).

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Well whenever I deleted chars on other servers, the problem kept going. So I went back to the root of the scene, Vomica's server.

I was able to play there but, my smallsack turned into barefists, and I lost the abbility to puch or weild weapons. So I deleted the character.

And apon this deletion (among many others) everything started working.

HOWEVER, it might nit have been me. Last night a player joined and lagged out while I was on a server. I recognized his name, the very same guy that banned me for crashing his own server (I think, he might of been one of the bystanders).

After he lagged out the FN thing started happening again. But it didn't bother me this time. I just got the priveledge of seeing the pop up message go crazy for a sec.

So I may not be the only fish in the pond who has ever contracted this disease.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
that popup goes crazy from time to time even when no one is there...its an odd popup and i usually ignore it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Very odd pop-up, since it doesn't seem to exist anywhere in the code. >< Been trying to track that effer down and move it to console to no avail.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Um.. We may not know where the STRING is, but you know what's calling it, so why not just comment it out >_<?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Is it possible that somebody found a way to crash themselves, inflicting damage on the server-host & all on the server who are playing...??

It sparks in mind, with great thanks due to paranoia, that such an action would be a-typical of people like "Acehigh" and "Kokris"... to discover sleezy ways to crash servers & screw them up, along with other people who play there... (perhaps a custom item they shouldn't have could be doing this)

I am probably getting caught up in the memories of when Dark Armor used to crash your client (or was it Gold Armor...?) and so did Fire Arrows... WAY back in the day... where one person's picking the stuff up could delete everyone's character -_-

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I'm sure it isnt kokris or acehigh.

I dont want to post any names here though.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Just post their name so Thothie can look into it..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well their ID's are different - as are their individual brands of cheating. ;)

Although it is true, Acehigh too sent me an incomplete map that looked like it belonged to another mod. That's a step up from what Korkis did I guess - as Ace sent me the source. I didn't give the Ace anything for the map on the basis that it was too incomplete to be ready for treasure anytime soon, and Korkis pulled his stunt long after Acehigh already started cheating.

Um.. We may not know where the STRING is, but you know what's calling it, so why not just comment it out >_<?

I'm not even absolutely sure about that - but from the look of it - ALL the FN messages go through this system. If I remove it - it will likely be unable to talk to FN afterwards. It also passes a bunch of bytes that I need to track down the meaning of (I suspect where each message gets passed is based on said bytes). I'd need time to experiment with that. Kinda like doing heart surgery to cure an itch though.

Since I'm fairly certain we have the code for everything, my best guess is that the message is actually encrypted in the source as well (string of hex or html chars, or some strange sh*t akin to your "message to MiB" thread in Offtopic). It maybe some odd security method someone did with all the FN functions, but as a text string, it simply ain't there.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'm not talking about blocking the ENTIRE function, just the part inside the 'else' block so that when FN disconnects, it goes through each player and does nothing.

Cutting off a tributary, not the river ;-)