HL2 Mods discussion.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Post your favorite mods and post a small review of them if possible, since I'd like to know about a few mods and we could also make a list of good mods here.

List of mods that are good: (multiplayer)

Dystopia
Zombie Panic:Source
Pirates, Vikings and Knight II
Empires? (I haven't played it)
Insurgency (Hello spawn camping)

I play both Dystopia and Zombie Panic and you can find me under my name.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Empires == Great game... But last I played it was pretty laggy =\ (It IS source >_>)

My favorite mods (outside of Empires) would be NeoForts and SourceForts, in that order. NeoForts is, in my opinion, a much better game than SourceForts, but Source ripped Neo off and got a bigger fan base, so hardly anyone plays Neo (last I checked).

If you don't know what they are:
Both games were CTF, and had Build Time and Fight Time. You would have about 10-20 minutes of one, then the other. Bascially, you use the gravity gun (and in neo forts, you can also use the Physics gun) to position generic blocks (about 6 or so block types) into a working fort to protect your flag. <3...

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
When I do play Dystopia, myself, it's with my fellow guildies. (WNx)
As to Empires, that is a great mod. I just installed Zombie-Panic Source today, so I'll try playing that in a bit.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
When I do play Dystopia, myself, it's with my fellow guildies. (WNx)
As to Empires, that is a great mod. I just installed Zombie-Panic Source today, so I'll try playing that in a bit.

your in the Dystopia WNx guild? neat, cause I like to shoot at them while I play the game :D

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Age of Chivalry: Team based that takes place in the medieval.

I love this mod because of the somewhat awesome weapons you have to selection from. They also have different forms of attacks such as stabbing, slashing and blocking, and those attacks works best for different weapons (Axes are best for chopping while some swords a better for stabbing) And the objectives are actually fun to do and not all that repetitive.

Synergy: Co-operative gameplay

You get a few new weapons added to your selection, other than that, it's like playing hl2 with others. There's also some neat custom maps to play too.

Obsidian Conflict: Co-operative gameplay

Kinda like Synergy, but has slightly different weapons and more like Sven Co-ops sense of humour. I don't know how many people still play this one, but it's not as popular as Synergy.

Fortress Forever: I think everyone knows what this one is. I like it because it's more based off the old Classic Team Fortress.

Fistful of Frags: Team based that takes place in the wild west. The only gameplay as of right now is to reach the money limit before the other team does.

This mod IMO is extremely fun. You get points by killing your enemy or by picking up and to "capture" the gold by holding it for a certain amount of time. Depending on the weapon you use to kill your enemy, you get more points if you use a "hard" weapon (Like if you kill your enemy with a knife, you'd get more point than killing your enemy with a sniper rifle). You can spend these points to get better weapons and upgrades. You can find money bags laying around or open chests that are scattered all over the map. The bigger the map, the more money you need to collect.

Eternal Silence: Team based that takes place in space or on huge capital ships/asteroid bases.

I'd wait for the next patch, because right now this mod is a tad boring, low on ship selections and doesn't have too many people playing it right now. Other than that, this game is rather enjoyable with dog fights in space (Lots of room to roam (Although it's freaking space, where the hell are you gonna go?) and neat weapon selection (Choose from an Ion cannon to a Flamethrower to a Turret you can put down and control with your "hack" kit)

Master Swords: Source I'm sure once that comes out, all other mods wouldn't matter.

...Oh, that's not my exact order in which I like em in, nor are those my only mods I like. I picked the ones that I didn't think were mentioned. I hope that helps :S

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Zombie Panic Source is very nice, i stopped playing it as it was too easy for the humans to win...

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Are you serious. What server are you playing? Because everytime I play ZPS it's the zombies that always win.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Heheh. Age of Chivalry is pretty fun. It is a shame that they nerfed the ever-so-powerful archer. ^^

And yea, I've been with WNx for some time now.

The Valorous

New Adventurer
Reaction score
AoC was pretty cool but I seriously never figure out how I kill people when I swing my weapon... I just do. It gets so chaotic when there's like 4 or 5 people battling at the same time I just keep swinging and stabbing until I or somebody else goes down.

Dystopia was fun, but then it got too repetitive after a while.

Empires is fun, too. I'm glad they greatly reduced the vehicle lag, cause that really bummed me out on the first version.

Insurgency's pretty cool also if you're into the realism thing. Beats waiting 5 minutes to load up a map in PR (for BF2), and waiting 30 more seconds to spawn.

Fortress Forever is pretty cool. Has that TFC feel on the Source Engine, but I heard you should never mention TF2 in the servers cause they get pretty hardcore about it.

PVK II was fun, although for me it didn't have the same feel as the original PVK. Plus, I miss that Helms Deep map... with gravity.

There were a lot of promising mods that looked really good but then ended up dying. Oh well, that's how modding goes. You get some, you lose some.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
All the HL SMODs (most of them anyway) and Mistake of Pythagoras, are my favorite mods.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
If you're interested in a fascinating single-player modification for Half-Life 2 that might even take you two hours to beat on the first run-through, be sure to download MINERVA: Metastasis. It's the best Half-Life 2 single-player mod I have ever played (I've also played DayHard, Mistake of Pythagoras, Antlion Troopers and some other small ones) because the gameplay and design is absolutely fantastic. Some of the best Source mapping you will ever see is to be found in MINERVA: Metastasis.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
If you're interested in a fascinating single-player modification for Half-Life 2 that might even take you two hours to beat on the first run-through, be sure to download MINERVA: Metastasis. It's the best Half-Life 2 single-player mod I have ever played (I've also played DayHard, Mistake of Pythagoras, Antlion Troopers and some other small ones) because the gameplay and design is absolutely fantastic. Some of the best Source mapping you will ever see is to be found in MINERVA: Metastasis.
I was gonna mention that one ;)

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
villager said:
Are you serious. What server are you playing? Because everytime I play ZPS it's the zombies that always win.

i don't know i just join random servers

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I just started playing Insects Infestation. It's a neat game of Ants vs Termites (vs Wasps soon). Right now it's only on 1.1.1, so they're still working some things out, but it's quite fun when you get a good group of people together.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
:eek: can we have a working link too?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
scooby3219 said:
im surprised no one has mentioned the most legendary of hl2 mods. garry's mod
Yeah, cause it's meh. I figure it's meh cause you have to pay for it.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
True, though 10 gives you all sorts of neat things to mess around with, and the 10 bucks to play it deterrs most of the mingebags.

banert

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The frigid Northlands (because someone always hail
Combine Destiny:
It's long, repetitive, and 90% of the enemies are zombies, but theres something about it that I love and can't get enough of.

Mistake of Pythagoras:
Must be played to believe. This mod is so random it makes babies cry. It opens up with a town under siege by...numbers, yes, giant concrete numbers falling from the sky. Weird, weird stuff. Ever wondered what Half-life would be like if the graphic designer was Salvidor Dali? Me neither, but this is the result.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
banert said:
Combine Destiny:
It's long, repetitive, and 90% of the enemies are zombies, but theres something about it that I love and can't get enough of.

Mistake of Pythagoras:
Must be played to believe. This mod is so random it makes babies cry. It opens up with a town under siege by...numbers, yes, giant concrete numbers falling from the sky. Weird, weird stuff. Ever wondered what Half-life would be like if the graphic designer was Salvidor Dali? Me neither, but this is the result.
I think I played Combine Destiny (actually, I'm quite sure) and I thought it was pretty good.
Mistake of Pythagoras is, of course, far better. I really loved that one.

Still, nothing can compare to MINERVA: Metastasis.