Blade of Balance, V2

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Valorous said:
The swords look hot. I will most definitely use it to invade Grammar Belgium and pass through the Maginot Line in Grammar France.

lawl

I love the sword Sabre and I like the idea of putting together pieces...

As for the "elemental" damage to the sword... I think the sword should do the same amount of damage to all elements, and all monster/armor types...

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Valorous said:
The swords look hot. I will most definitely use it to invade Grammar Belgium and pass through the Maginot Line in Grammar France.

Do that, and we shall manufacture Liberator sword halves for the Grammar Resistance.

The Valorous

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lol. It's nice, but the thought of random element surprises me a little bit. It would be really nice, but you have to make sure it doesn't do too much damage to keep some balance. Yeah, I understand mobs will have resistances and the damage will be greatly reduced, but I hope it doesn't go around randomly one-hitting mobs with an elemental weakness.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Good point...Frankly, I'd like it to hit with a random element each hit...So it's a gamble using it. And in the case you put two of the same halves together, you can have the dark sword use dark magics, and vice versa...But at a weaker damage rate.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
A blast from the not-too-distant past! I've made each sword and it's halves...Haven't rigged em though...The consolidated model system has confounded me, so if I could get some detailed instructions, I'd appreciate it...Or...If someone wants to rig em for me, then lemme know. I'm looking to have the halves one handed and wholes two.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you decompile either p_weapons.mdl or any p_sword.mdl you'll see that each has a submodel with an offset position for:
right hand ("xxx_rhand")
left hand ("xxx_lhand")
floor ("xxx_floor")
sheath ("xxx_sheath")

and two idle anims:
in player hand idle ("xxx_idle")
on floor idle ("xxx_floor_idle")

To be honest, we probably do not need xxx_sheath submodels, just the other three.

You can probably decompile the p_weapons1.mdl or the old p_swords.mdl and use any of the _rhand/_lhand_floor/_idle/_floor_idle SMD's for reference - maybe even just match up the bones, if you used the same ones as some other sword model.

You'll need one full set of models for the dark sword, another for the light sword, and one for the combo sword.

If you can track down Orochi you might be able to get him to do it for you, if you give him your basic sword models first.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'll do it, host it up and send it my way.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hehe, I can't believe I didn't notice this thread before now... that sword looks awesome, is it still coming along nicely or did things die down over the past thirty or so days?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I've finished all models, whole and half, and sent them over to Orochi for mounting on arm models...Hopefully we get a finished product soon :D

Darkside1

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It should work like the sword will track whats the strongest thing against them and use that, but i suggest this is only for some uber level as my idea is for uber people

Evaan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
D.Drew said:
Yeah, squirrels idea would sound cool. But I think since, it's a sword of balance it should convert evil monsters to fight on your side for an amount of time.

I would imagine the sword would have a representative value, not some magical "balancing" effect.

Creatures have to be evil in order for good to exist, and if you make an Orc good and fight for you, something good would have to become evil to balance the effect.

I imagine the sword simple representing you as one who tries to uphold balance, just as the swords were formed as crosses to represent God's will (amongst other reasons) in the past.

However, I would also imagine that the problem nowadays, is that evil has overrun the good that flow through the land, being the reason why the world is so overpopulated by evil creatures (skeletons, spiders, orcs and whatnot).

Perhaps an enhanced damage add effect that drains the wielder's health (50% damage return), potentially along with a damage return shield, where 50% of the creature's damage given to you, is returned to the attacker (if such is possible now). The damage returned to the creature could even heal you, in order to make self life draining appealing at all.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
*Legitimate Necropost*
So, since Orochi got abducted by aliens, the task of putting the mdls onto hands has been given to Shuriken...I *think* that for now we we will only do five models, the two halves and three wholes...Since our model limit is killing us. My eventual goal is to have eleven total models, the first five, and then dualwielding for the halves and wholes(three each). I wanted this so that xp could pass for them, and it would free up right click, so that you can combine them with a magic word, which Thothie had mentioned might be possible, and break em apart with a right click...Or a right click special. In addition, having a dualwield model would allow for the mixers (light and dark) to be wielded all kewl, with light being held overhand in the right(GIB anims) and dark being held underhand in the left(PFCK anims, or rather, some of em). The drawback to this idea is that we don't have the modelspace for this until we get a script that allows for view model sub-models, which would reduce this project to two, or even one, file.
But maybe some day we can have the full set, which I have decided to make 'fun for all ages.' ;) Essentially the halves could be used at a low level, but there will be a level limit for dualwielding the halves or combining them into a whole, and another level limit for the ubersword, and so on and so forth. If the halves are placed in an area inaccessible to lowbies, there could be some shattered halves(quarters xD) that they could have re-forged in a miniquest, and then proceed from there...With a set like this, the possibilities are endless, and this thread has already been crammed full of input that could actually be used. At any rate, expect to see some of these bad boys ingame soon :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
How long do I have to design a map around them? (jk...Or, am I?)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
How long do I have to design a map around them? (jk...Or, am I?)
If they were to go into any map, they could go in mine(I suggested that the hostage you rescue has the ability to combine or separate the swords accordingly.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Also, this.
Sabre said:
Shuriken has offered to fit the models to hands...But the way it is planned, it's gonna take a lot of models...We wanted to do a single model that dual wields (You have two swords, but they are one item)...So that would produce 6 models on its own, then add an additional 5 models for single wielding (2 halves and 3 wholes)...In this case,
6+5=Boned.

What to do?
EDIT: I should probably explain this using a visual, since it's hard to imagine so many models for this idea...
As of now, there are five models; a light sword half, a dark sword half, a combined dark sword, a combined light sword, and the mixed combo.
Untitled-1-3.jpg
As you can see by my horrible visual, there are 11 possible combinations of sword. However, being that we have a limit, this is not good. We could axe the wholesword combinations, but we still would have eight models...We could also axe the cool ideas for how to wield these swords, which brings us to five...You can see our lil dilemma here.
If we want this swordset to shine as I think it should, then we need the script to have submodels for viewmodels...Otherwise we won't have all the kewl dual wields that I think we should have :oldcry:

Get all our eggs in one basket.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Umm... Unless Shuriken also finds a way to consolidate view models in the process - that whole concept is pretty much out. 11 models is a sh*tload. Let's keep it to the original 3 plzktnx. (Dark Swords + Light Sword = Sword of a Thousand Truths/whatnot )

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I reasoned with him down to 3 or 4 models.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
I reasoned with him down to 3 or 4 models.
For now ;) . But of course, once the submodels work, then maybe we can do what I ideally would like...Right?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah - assuming you make all the models. ;)

VorteX

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I call u took this from a game called Rakion, Called the Nightmare sword from the ninja character. haha caughtya, but nice remake though

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
VorteX said:
I call u took this from a game called Rakion, Called the Nightmare sword from the ninja character. haha caughtya, but nice remake though
Never heard of it.
Matter of fact, this started out as a single sword, and came to this.

VorteX

New Adventurer
Reaction score
O well, looks alm ost exactly like a sword in a different game, lemme see if i can find a pic somewhere