Reaction score
I liked the second one best, but the staff is much better on the last one

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
By the way, would there be a way to make it do extra elemental damage, without making the axe actually that element? ie, it has an extra poison damage, but the axe still does physical damage so it can hurt undead?

Yes. You'll notice your fangtooth and envenomed blades still affect undead (just sans poison).

I'd see if you could get a balance between shot #1 and shot #2 (and yeah, first handle texture was probably better). I'm not sure what our target poly count should be TBH. Load it up in game and see if it makes your character's head explode (replace an exsiting model to view it).

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
the biggest reason for the huge change, was because it lowered the vertex count from ~3000 to 834...

So curvy blade > angly blade?

Should i keep the first skull shape, but not smooth it?

Handle shape good, but material needs work?

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
If you want my opinion, the handle was perfect in the last screenshot and I prefered much more the skull on the one with jaw open. As long as it doesn't get too high poly's or anything and it works I prefer curvy blade,
It's a fine model :)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
maybe try to do the skull more with the texture than with the model itself? (like the greataxe is)

other than that, i guess it looks evil enough ;)

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, new pics for ya. Which one do you like better? smooth or not-smooth?

Not-smooth:
notsmooth.jpg

Smooth:
smotth.jpg

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah, i have no idea where to go from here, that's why it's not in-game. also, 3dsmax refuses to tell me poly count, just vertices and faces. Vertices is 1712, faces is 2962. Now, without teeth it's 1088 verts and 1810 faces. But then it looks like the skull of an old man... it's actually funny... which isn't good if it's evil... :p

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Polys are listed as triangles I think.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
What are you modeling this in?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
3D max i bet

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yup, 3ds max 7.

And yes i realize they are not all one solid object. i wanted to get the design finalized before i did all that work. Which is a good question i guess... does the axe have to be one solid object or can i leave it as multiple pieces?

Oh, and can someone please point me to where i can get information on the whole skinning/animating/compiling part? to get me from where i am now to swinging it in the game :D

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It looks cool, but its way way over kill for polys for HL1.

Its still pretty high for source too :)

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If you want, I got that kinda stuff set up and good to go on MS3D, so send it my way and I'll rig it up for use as an HL model. I don't think you can do that from 3DSMax, for HL anyway, but don't quote me on that. Export it as an .smd or .ms3d if you can, if not, I'll use the .3ds or whatever you made it in.

Kengou

New Adventurer
Reaction score
DUDE, that's an awesome model so far, I'm impressed, I'd say I like the smooth skull with the angly eyes, they look more like gems that way. And you could just go with like larger teeth to save poly's and keep the look. I'm not exactly sure about how much you could do overall to get some serious weight loss on those poly's without totally destroying the effect of it though, good luck!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Think you'd eliminate half the polys if you just knocked his teeth out and gave him fangs.

Still curious to see how an over-poly'd model would look/run in MSC.

I'll try to keep a slot for this axe open in my media consolidation efforts to mitigate the item limit.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks Kengou for the comment, and thanks thothie for the slot.

But, i still don't know how to get it into the game :p

I know other people have offered help, but it's kinda like that old saying: Feed a man a fish and he's fed for a day, teach a man to fish and he's fed for his life. Or, if you prefer: Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.