Awesome Axe!!

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So thothie, if i make you an axe model and skin it and whatnot, would you put it in the game for me?

We're pretty weak in the axe department, and i really like this design i've got. I was thinking maybe make it one-hand, same attack speed as the normal Axe/Small Axe, same hit chance, but higher damage. Basically slightly better than dwarven axe, but slower and less accurate.

It'll be a War Axe, and it'll look like it too. The weapons we have right now all look too much like the "Good guys", "shiny silver", smooth, perfectly crafted. i want this to look more like an orc weapon, fasioned out of whatever they could get. it would look slightly "evil" because of the shape and maybe pokey-looking things on it.

Anyways, Comments/Suggestions?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If I get it, I'll add it. But thus far I've never seen a model announced [WIP] during structure phase complete. Much less before structure phase. ;) Models be a lot of work, apparently.

Maybe introducing the Dread Scythe soon.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
modeling is easy... its making a hit box thats hard for me i dont understand it... and for some reason for me compiling the model with out it being fucked for some reason...

i mean, that gold i made u guys the orochi is supposed to be fixing the placement on it . that only took me actually a few mins to make.

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, here's the "First draft" of my axe. Definately a WIP beta version or something like that. I'm going to continue working on it, there's just something that's not right, but i can't put my finger on it...

As always, comments/suggestions are welcome!

draft.jpg

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yea, its the wooden handle. does not go well with the metal part. i dont think anyways

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ok, ignore the handle, it's just wooden because that looks better than pink (what it is without material)

there seems to be something strange with the general shape of it.. but i can't quite place it. keep in mind, that once i get a good-looking design i'll add a few details, this is just a simple model to visualize the design.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The spike on the top looks a jagged and the whole middle piece is shaped funny. (not that these are bad things. I am just trying to help you pinpoint what you think looks odd.)

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah, i had all the spikes perfectly straight, but realized how incredibly hard that would have been for orcs to fasion it up, so i made them a little jagged. I agree that the middle piece is shaped weird, but it's just there to cover up the intersection between blade, spikes, and handle.

What do you guys think of the shape of the blade, and the shape/layout of the spikes? I like having the spikes, it makes it feel more "evil"

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yes the spike does look jagged but that is the skin, also it looks better that way because its poor craftsmanship (at least what I think you are aiming for) that middle piece now that I take a closer look does seem a little wierd but I would love the axe how it is now.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Yea I agree it looks fine :) For an orcish fashioned axe of course, wich is your purpose! So it's good work in my opinion

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
THAT'S THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR!! "Poor Craftmanship"

anyways, the spikes actually ARE jagged, and it's being rendered with bump-mapping, so that helps too. it still seems a little.. "bland" and less detailed than other weapons here...

That middle peice has to be there, but what if i sort of "shaped" it like something evil-looking?

Also, any suggestions for the handle? material? shape? make it more fancy?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ideas for t3h pwnageness

kill the back-spikes and make it double sided, those spikes serve no purpose in combat since they would merely get stuck in your oponent if your axe got reversed, they could also get caught on things easily. but leave the center spike.

ditch the wooden handle and go for all metal, perhaps with a leather covered handle. (handle should widen towards the bottom to stop hand from slipping off)

use generally darker colors for it, it'll increase its evilness.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yea ditch the wood. but either widen the bottom like evil said (but not so wide like the raven mace where ur hand goes through it) OR make it like a baseball bat where the bottom has a "stopper". I am also going to have to disagree with the "ditch the back spikes" idea because this is the only weapon that has this design and if you are animating it as well, make the hard hit with the spikes.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
P, theres a reason axes dont have spikes on the back...think of walking around with it, or fighting with it, if you 'clashed blades' with someone and they pushed it back towards you, a spike *could* possibly impail your face through a slit in a helmet, a blade would catch on the helmet.

and anyways the spikes would be hard to attatch to it without welding, would become a nuisence after awhile, and wouldn't provide the proper counterbalance needed for melee weaponry

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
evil......

.. its just a game

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Is that an actual model in progress or conceptual artwork? As the thing looks cell-shaded - a tad jarring in an otherwise non-cell shaded game. ;)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
evil......

.. its just a game

does't stop people from making comments like "LOL UR HANDS R IN UR MACE" and "LOL UR SWORD JUT WENT THRU UR FACE" so why would it stop them from complaining about how the weapon wouldn't work in real combat =\

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Is that an actual model in progress or conceptual artwork? As the thing looks cell-shaded - a tad jarring in an otherwise non-cell shaded game. ;)

It's actually a model. It probably looks that way because it's real simple and not detailed, and becaause of the lighting.

I'm gonna do some work on it today, and post another screen. (I have 2 BS classes today, so plenty of time :) )

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, version 2!!

draft2.jpg

I changed it a bit from poor orc craftmanship to pure evil!
I think i shall call it a Demon Axe.

By the way, would there be a way to make it do extra elemental damage, without making the axe actually that element? ie, it has an extra poison damage, but the axe still does physical damage so it can hurt undead?

Better? (I should hope so!)

Comment/Suggestions start...now!

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Great model! But the polycount may be too high for the HL1 engine to take! I have an idea with these 2 models though! (if the second works with HL1 that is) The second model could be some kind of godlike axe with an epic story! (i.e. given to the orcs by some evil god centuries ago) But the first model could be some kind of attempts by the orcs to make a replica of it! :roll: Maybe it could be a new race of orcs like dark orcs :) I have too much imagination maybe!

HobbitG

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, i made things more "angly" which makes it feel a little more evil, plus it really reduces the vertex count :)

Not sure exactly what the polygons are, but it hase 834 vertices, down from about 3000 when it was smooth.

Take a look:
draft3.jpg