[Archive: 2013] Madman's Entry

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Cerbera Castle

Cerbera Castle is a castle owned by Suez the Great. You start off coming out of a cave to meet the king of the castle, he will request you to aid him from the Orc invasion.

Have some screenies:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/cerbera0000.bmp
http://filesmelt.com/dl/cerbera0001.bmp
http://filesmelt.com/dl/cerbera0002.bmp
http://filesmelt.com/dl/cerbera0003.bmp

I haven't finished the outside area or the inside area yet, its also not populated. You can view the map as an rmf or bsp here:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/cerbera1.rar

Updated RMF/BSP of 4/28/13 (SCREENSHOTS NOT UPDATED, USE BSP VIEWER OR SOMETHING UNTILL I UPDATE THEM)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: [Section 1] Madman's Entry

The map looks kinda simplistic, but I as I recall, you had an interesting siege map concept that involved investing in defenses - including walls, maybe soldiers, and such, eventually critical for defending the castle.

Might be wise to elaborate on that, not only so I can remember who "hates" me and how much - but also to give your map a selling point. I'm not on the map judges panel, so no need to worry about me picking out the map that'll require the least amount of work on my end (you lucky bastards). ;)

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score

I don't know about that much anymore, now that I look at it, it may not fit with the map. I'll have to think about it.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Oh look, someone is making me a memoir, people usually do statues w/ catchy phrases or books, but a map works too, thanks. :roll:

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score

Thothie said:
The map looks kinda simplistic, but I as I recall, you had an interesting siege map concept that involved investing in defenses - including walls, maybe soldiers, and such, eventually critical for defending the castle.

Might be wise to elaborate on that, not only so I can remember who "hates" me and how much - but also to give your map a selling point. I'm not on the map judges panel, so no need to worry about me picking out the map that'll require the least amount of work on my end (you lucky bastards). ;)

Even if I wanted to do that (which i kinda do, it sounds really fun) I wouldn't have any more time to create barricades / entry zones in hammer (as in a door where the helping npcs come out of).

Also, navigation in this map will be a little tricky to figure out since the invading orcs would have to figure out how to run around one of the walls to get to the entrance, I think i had a conversation with you and you mentioned making monsterclips to guide them, but the monsterclips would be too big to get them to navigate around, thus allowing players to hide inside of them. I've tested this with a few orcs (map is not populated, going to need special npcs like suez the great and a couple of special orcs made).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Oh, now it's suddenly my idea - okay, I get it. ;)

I don't see anything that'd fubar navigation to the throne here - if yer worried that a player might lure the orcs into the corners on either side of the castle, the critical_npc function would prevent that (for 1/3 orcs - plus said player may get trapped there), or you could simply barricade the sides, so neither player nor orc could get there.

Rickler

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Madman,

Good looking map start but unfinished. Looks like the start of a legit MSC map!

Brushwork: Good looking castle map in and out. Brushwork is clean. 8/10

Lighting: Good lighting but inside doesn't contrast to much from outside. 7/10

Textures: Textures work very good here and they keep with the MSC theme. 8/10

Layout/Looks: Overall good looking map but there is pretty much just two or three areas. Will there be more? 6/10

Overall I'd say 7.5/10

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Madman

Score: 4.5/10

Brushwork - 5.5/10

The brushwork is clean and looks alright, but a lot of the flare in the map are prefabs. There are also no visblockers anywhere, and this area is pretty big. Arguably too big for MSC. Also, there are many instances of ground that are cut up into triangles,but the vertex manipulation performed is so tiny that you can barely notice it, so performance takes a hit for the sake of detail that can barely be seen in an area that is already pushing the limits of what half-life can handle in terms of size.

Entwork: 2/10

Entity work is minimal in this map.

Layout - 2/10

A single room does not constitute a layout.

Lighting - 2/10

Lighting is also minimal.

Textures: 7.5/10

Good texture scheme. I really like the red banners. There is a lot going on in this map, texture wise, to keep us interested.

Overall, I give this map a 4.5/10.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

While we all love a good castle in medieval settings, I'm afraid this one comes up a little short. The entire area is little more than one big open box with a couple of walls in it. The brushwork is simple and very poorly optimized, even for a demonstration. Lighting and detail work is almost non existent.

Score 3 / 10

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Judging Madman's Entry

The Good:
• Demonstrates some fairly competent brushwork

The Bad:
• Not populated
• More of a map fragment than a map
• No vis blocking between inside and outside of castle
- Despite that, the r_speeds are *fairly* reasonable, at worst, 1200 looking at the castle from the outside
- Would benefit from some serious null texturing
• Some potentially sploity bits that need patching
• Crawled into well - no way out! Quick! Go Lassie go! :oldshock:

If there was any evidence of the proposed game concept here, I'd give it a LOT more points, but as it is, it's not really a map, so much as a fragment to be placed in another - though the open castle design makes placement difficult as well. Still, good demonstration of potential skills.

Final:
5/10 - Just not really enough to see here.