Ahem, We need a new thing

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Ideas from: viewtopic.php?t=3040

When you kill a monster, or half-ly, aka partying / kill stealing.

It should tell you at the bottom, "xx Exp earned"

More relistic to mmors---

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
And perhaps it could show the current progress in a more exact number setup, rather than a percentage one like in the normal status menu!?

That'd be awesome... to know when I'll ACTUALLY level up parry again...

For the XP given & remaining menus, they could probably take up the top right of our screens (if we don't want them flooding the bottom right)...

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Or just above the monster's head and floaty and transperencize away...

"+50"

If it appears while you're fighting a monster and ofcourse when ur screen jiggles... you'll know it's parry exp... and when the monster dies you'll know how much you gained in total...

next step is knowing how many points gained for each skill...

lawls, lets have the game send a document to our printers to print out how much exp per skill we're gaining... (joke, don't hate me... ...more than you already do)

charcolishen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
What a great way to further improve environmental disaster.
I vote for printed documents!! <3

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Mario - I think numbers above their head would require sprites =\

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I dunno...The paper thing sounds more efficient...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the hell topic is this...oh yeah..uh...

howbout we just make the XP values for critters public knowlege - wiki it or summat.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I like the idea of a console message better

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Er.. I meant the little thing where the damage you do is displayed..

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
eh, knowing how much exp each monster gives would be more useful if we knew how much xp each level needs...it only helps determine whats good trainin otherwise...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Which is somewhat useful, but yeah, knowing how much exp per level would be good, too.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
give us something on the screen! If I have to look somewhere else other then the immediate screen (no console bullsh!t) then Im simply not going to look. But I would love to see how much xp I gained from a monster and a BAR of xp left to go.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
have exp gained show in console... then add an amx thingy that can have that number displayed above a monster... so it looks like the green "+ Gold" thing in the bottom of the screen except in the center.

I don't know anything about amx, so how about it just uses the same thing the "+ Gold" at the bottom does

It would help to know how much more needed to level. But that would require some big numbers that would hurt my head and stuff like that.

Exp display on monsters after they are slain would still give you a better idea than switching on and off the character info to look for that "+ 1%"

oh wow...

Hrm... now that I think about it... If we keep this up... Asking for more data display ingame. Basically we're requesting to flood the game interface with loads of ,although useful, info that may give more of a sense of... well "complexity" that this game really doesn't need.

I can imagine it now. New lil Timmy plays his first minutes of master sword... He walks up to a rat and kills it.

Scenario1:
NUMBERS EXPLODE EVERYWHERE in relation to how much exp hes gained, and how much he needs for the next level, as well as the amount he received from the rat.
Timmy's heart explodes...

Scenario2:
He wonders how much he's gained so he presses the default character info button (which he magically knows bc he's just a lucky lil guy like that) and...
BOOM! another mass of numbers that confuses him drown him.
Timmy's brain overheats and his brain starts oozing from his ears...

*sigh* scenario3: both happen at once... ho-hum...
Timmy's best friend comes over and murders Timmy.

What i'm trying to get at is... Although these fancy displays telling us all the special numerical info would be nice. "Only the "Dungeon Master" really needs to know the numbers." We're players along for the ride. If you're counting and collecting points you're not slaying monsters, hunting for items, and aiding other players.

I vote for putting all info about exp levels as follows on wiki:
  • monster exp amounts
  • amount of exp needed for each level
  • Spellcasting level requirements (all on one page, if not already)
  • And those willing to figure out around how much they have/need to level according to an ingame percentage... probably won't mind pulling out a calculator.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The wiki is not a power-leveling guide, it is a manual on how to play the game and world detail. I'd delete that, if I found anything like that in there.

That's more for something along the lines of J-M's site, and the like.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
Or just above the monster's head and floaty and transperencize away...

"+50"

If it appears while you're fighting a monster and ofcourse when ur screen jiggles... you'll know it's parry exp... and when the monster dies you'll know how much you gained in total...

next step is knowing how many points gained for each skill...

lawls, lets have the game send a document to our printers to print out how much exp per skill we're gaining... (joke, don't hate me... ...more than you already do)

Have you been playing Final Fantasy XII (12) recently?? Where when you kill the monsters it shows the XP and all...

Or perhaps Fable: The Lost Chapters, where when you kill the enemies you collect those things & get a +50 or something above your own characters head :p

Since the XP currently shows percents, I am sure there is actual numbers behind it... like 255/300 type XP things for when to level up... if we could be shown those & actually observe when it is time to lvl up... of course that'd make things a lot funner, since you'd have visible progress after six hours of whoring every map you can think of!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I figured a way to do this, but it does demonstrate, in lovely ways, just how screwed up the XP system is. ;)

Seems the player stores how many times he struck each monster and with what, and when the monster dies, it goes through this array and gives experience per strike in relation to the % of the total damage done and the monster's experience value. (It awards this XP value to the player in a loop that goes through each individual hit).

Result is, quite often, you get more experience if you strike a monster more times to kill it. (ie. as in MS 1.35, weaker weapons = more XP, although not in the same extreme - it's just the fractions add up). If you one-hit kill a monster you always get the proper XP.

Skeletons are particularly screwy, as when they get up the second time round, their table doesn't reset (it's the same monster). Thus you get the XP you got before again (effectively doubling their value). Seems everything about those skeletons resurrecting causes minor issues.

Players will have a better idea of how much XP they are getting in MAR2007a. Everytime you gain experience, you'll get a little message in the combat stats "* xxx XP Awarded" with the total.

Sadly the XP needed for next level is a bit screwier and more difficult to report (seems to be stored in multiple places), so this is what ya got for now.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
meh... so i suppose it's time to get some rusty weapons and go get some exp

without charge attacks =P

edit:

Rusty weaps = more swings, slower kills and more exp per monster

Good weaps = less swings, faster kills, less exp per monster, but more kills

meh, I was wrong... I remember it was something I figured out back when The Perfect Skullblade was considered better than the Elven Short Sword(that for some reason didn't show it's weapon grade or something)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well... sweet deal that we'll get to see our XP now, so that's cool Thothie...
But, shouldn't the XP stacking for skeletons be left the same?? Since you do have to kill them multiple times to keep them dead... and they are rather damage resistant compared to most other things :/

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Well... sweet deal that we'll get to see our XP now, so that's cool Thothie...
But, shouldn't the XP stacking for skeletons be left the same?? Since you do have to kill them multiple times to keep them dead... and they are rather damage resistant compared to most other things :/

damage resistant...?

you've never even fought skeletons with anything but a dagger or a sword, have you..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Skeles are resistant to peircing and slashing and cold. (and immune to poison)

They are vulnerable to bashing and fire and (especially) holy.

Everything else is 1:1.

They certainly shouldn't multiply their experience everytime they get up again. But I agree you should get the XP for killing them again. I've no intention of making the second kill worthless - but it shouldn't be worth anymore than the first.

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The wiki is not a power-leveling guide, it is a manual on how to play the game and world detail. I'd delete that, if I found anything like that in there.

That's more for something along the lines of J-M's site, and the like.

Oh shit, he called yur site a POWER LEVELING SITE LOLZ LOLOLZOZLZOLZOLZZOLZOLZOZLZOLZZOLZOLZOLZZOLZOZLZOLZ!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PWNT!

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thread is a few days old.. but i got a system setup for displaying damage:

it wouldnt require too many changes to work for exp... that and its for source...

UPDATED:

-got it to work with Xp, rawr