8800GT !! The solution to Graphic cards!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, it'd be nice if nVidia had some real competition, but I gave up on ATI when they started rigging some of their graphic cards to only work in Vista. (The newer ones also don't fully support OpenGL, which is kinda critical for things like MSC.)

Also pisses me off no end how Valve optimizes everything for ATI despite the fact that by Valve's own hardware surveys nVidia card users on Steam outnumber ATI users almost 2:1. I know ATI gave Valve $6 million back when HL2 was released, but that bribe has gotta have run out by now, and I don't think ATI is any longer in a position to repeat it.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I gave up on ATi when it took them one full generation of video cards to catch up with nVidia's video cards that had Shader Model 3.0. The GeForce 6 series could output much better graphics than the Radeon X••• series because of Shader Model 3.0. It took ATi ages to bring forth the Radeon X1••• series, but by then nVidia already had the GeForce 7 series.

Then I pointed and laughed at ATi when it took them months (or was it half a year) to get their DirectX 10 / Shader Model 4.0 enabled video cards on the market (the HD 2••• series) while nVidia already had the GeForce 8 series out.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
For true video card comparison, and personal experience amongst those of us here... Jabba is probably the best person to speak up about that. He started off with an ATI Radeon card (I'll bug him list the specs, later)... then switched off to an NVidia card, upgraded to a better NVidia card, and now has his GeForce 8800, after making his last upgrade.

Anyways, for the GeForce card that is supposed to be released next from NVidia... it's supposed to have twice the memory bandwidth than the 8800 and have an initial cost of $200-$300 on the market (much cheaper than the 8800). Be it 8900, or the "92"/"98" series as has been rumored to be their coming nickname (rather than "90", since "92" will be the SLI reference and "98" the overall series thing; or so it's floated around the net). It'll still be cheaper, and a good bit better, than the 8600/8800 (and all other current 80-series)... which is a double whammy for ATI... since they were bought up by a processor manufacturing company, it probably makes it difficult to stay in the video-card market.

Fadda

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Zopac or Zotpac or wtf the firm is called, has an OC'ed version of 8800 GT ready.

It outdid the 8800 GTX with 1000+ in 3dmark06.

I'm getting GT!

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Zotac, their GT is awesome, hands down.

Their normal GT is clocked at 660mhz, instead of 600mhz from normal versions of others (like EVGA)

Their OC'd version (called AMP!) clocks at 700mhz and has a few other stuff oc'd wich I don't remember right now, and their AMP! version is only 10 euros more, wich is awesome.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
it has the memory overclocked by quite a bit, it also has the shader over clocked, and if memory servers me right its over clocked by some 500 mhz.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I believe getting OC'd setups can cost more than you want, in the end, anyways... since they tend to overheat; more so than base 8800's, at least... of course, I usually use a pure air-coolant standard, so I'm always touchy about overheating.
*sigh*
I know... some of you obsessive gaming rig builders will think that too old or outdated... but I'm not willing to dump a full thousand for an electric method of moving all of the heat to one area & freezing another.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If you can get a decent case with 3 fans and a powersupply with a 120mm or two 120mm fans you should be good.

I'm running my Quad and 8500 with no fans, except the CPU, GPU and powersupply one.

Never goes over 75c.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I enjoy my fan cooled system, be it very loud.

Fans may not cool very well, but they get the job done. However its interesting that they use a 1 slot cooler on the 8800GT and they idle at 60 C, just a tad hot. I do hope I can find an after market cooler that will allow me to over clock it to the 300 dollar version. that sweet 700 mhz vs the 600.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
[offtopic] is there anywhere where can i get a see through side and a green neon for my pc? i want something other than a black sided piece of metal at the side of my face. [/offtopic]

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Buy a new case...And green lights ;)

See newegg.com, they've power supplies with lights in em ffs(I got one and it works beautifully :D)