Better scrolling in inventory mode.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a way around it but I'm sick of hitting inventory and using side bar to scroll up and down.
Why not make it so mwheelup and down controls the sliding?
We are not cave men using windows 98.

Hope I clearly explained my gripe.
Please advise if there is a way to do this and I'm just not aware.

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Like Thothie and MiB said about the GUI, they can't make heads or tails about it. So, i'm going guess it's kind of impossible.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Not until a good coder comes in and that do it

also if you want to read the part about that look around in my/the thread. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8302

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
If i could get this thing to compile i might actually be able to code something.. but meh as Thoth said many times, MSC is a b*tch.

€:
Code:
1>cl_dll - 531 error(s), 381 warning(s)
I don't know how in the world you got this thing compiled with errors such as:
Code:
1>.\death.cpp(275) : error C2228: left of '.szVictim' must have class/struct/union
1>.\death.cpp(278) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
should just code a new inventory system. i'd personally suggest one more similar to oblivions.

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Like Thothie and MiB said they have no experience in coding a whole new GUI, so there for it would be quite hard. What do you mean until better coders come along? I mean the GUI code is a mess most likely anyways, so they probably won't be able figure out either.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Wishbone said:
Like Thothie and MiB said they have no experience in coding a whole new GUI,
I looked at the code and it doesn't seem too complicated to change stuff around, at least for me, but i first need this thing to compile or i wont have a chance to actually see the changes i made :roll:

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Rideon said:

Ain't that the truth.

Er. How do I change the text color so it looks invisible to MiB but everyone else can see it?

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Red Cell said:
Rideon said:

Ain't that the truth.

Er. How do I change the text color so it looks invisible to MiB but everyone else can see it?
Ehh, sorry man seems not possible. :oldlol:

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:

Excuse me? :(

I ain't saying ur a bad coder, just you know >.< having problems with it :3

[color=#MIB00]hopefully this color works against mib :eek:[/color]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've not looked it over myself in a long time, but I suspect it's an engine call creating that menu. So unless Valve tweaks the engine's menu panel system to use the mouse wheel, we're kinda boned without a very experienced low level coder to remake the whole thing from scratch.

I'm guessing you're playing at a fairly low res to have that complaint though - seems I rarely have more than one page of stuff to scroll through myself - though tis true, it'd make getting to that last damned item a bit quicker. It'd be nice if it put the last item used first, or kept the order alphabetical, so it'd at least be in about the same place. That might be more viable. To help the low res users, I've been wondering if I can tweak up the menu to allow you to set an icon size. Downside to that is some text would overlap if you set the icon size too small.

I fiddled with moving the text to the right of the icons, with the icons on the left, kinda Windows explorer "details" style - but that'd involve even more scrolling, of course (though, maybe not, as the intent was to use much smaller icons as well). I didn't have any luck pulling that off. :\ That might be within MiB's considerable powers though - maybe with some client side switch for people who prefer it to display that way.

Tigerkev said:
If i could get this thing to compile i might actually be able to code something.. but meh as Thoth said many times, MSC is a b*tch.

€:
Code:
1>cl_dll - 531 error(s), 381 warning(s)
I don't know how in the world you got this thing compiled with errors such as:
Code:
1>.\death.cpp(275) : error C2228: left of '.szVictim' must have class/struct/union
1>.\death.cpp(278) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier
Are you compiling with VS2003? :\

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How about just making the icons smaller and making the names pop up when the cursor hovers on top of them? The inventory can get really cramped on smaller screens

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Are you compiling with VS2003? :\
Oh snap, forgot about that, compiling with VS08, tho that stuff should still be rewritten, gc++ compiler on the unix side wouldn't like that to much either :roll:
Will go with VS03.

FER said:
How about just making the icons smaller and making the names pop up when the cursor hovers on top of them? The inventory can get really cramped on smaller screens
I intended to make a tooltip popup with a detailed description (spells and stuff or something), but i don't know what is being saved in the code item-wise which is accessible by the inventory.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
will change resolution. thanks for some type of temp solution

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Don't know if you knew this already, but there are also quickslots you can bind to items by holding one of the 'F' keys (F1, F2 .etc) so that you can just quickly tap it during combat instead of hassling through your inventory. There aren't many slots though, so bind them to your favourite and most used weapons.