White Thingy (Different from Others)

homerliew

New Adventurer
Reaction score
A white texture/sprite just comes out? on the wall, when I hit the wall or maybe go near it... the dot in the wall turns into white for example when I hit the wall, a dot comes out like when shooting (bullets) but instead of a dot it turns in a white thingy. :oldlol: :D :oldangry: :oldshock: :evil:

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Not really sure what you mean. Could you take a screenshot and post it?

Also, what's your os and gfx card?

Hakariaki

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
That sounds like the glitch i got a few days ago when playing b_castle.
Some bricks on the wall or on the ground turned white, duno why. anyway it was just temporary

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sometimes, when you install HL mods, especially old ones, they'll leave a custom decals.wad in your valve folder or the core half-life folder, and that may be screwing the somewhat plain set that MSC is supposed to be using.

homerliew

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think it just happens when I change levels... I tried to make a screenshot but the white wall doesn't appear anymore. Maybe I'll try changing levels... btw i'm new so don't expect me to know everything in this game :D :) :oldlol:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh, that's just the usual texture memory bug... MSC goes through more textures between maps than most mods, and occasionally, overflow occurs, since HL doesn't dump the texture memory of the previous level. Sometimes larger textures will go plain white on you, or otherwise go wonky. Animated textures, such as water, do this more than most, as they take more memory space and thus corrupt more easily. Restarting Half-Life fixes this.

Similarly, sometimes matching texture names will be persistant between maps, causing odd visual effects. (Such as snow in Edana after visiting Nightmare_Thornlands, or ladders being skewed on some maps, but not every time you visit them.)

homerliew

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is this a bug/glitch in the mod? and is the patch in progress and will be released?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I doubt this is something we can fix. It's partly an engine thing (you'll see it *occasionally* in other mods), although I suspect also partly the way we've integrated our dated HL1SDK. If we could somehow trick the system into dumping it's texture memory, maybe.

Shouldn't be a huge deal though - it shouldn't happen every map change, and it's quickly solved by restarting HL - which is something you'll wind up having to do more often than you should for entirely unrelated reasons anyways.