Sprite for when you level up.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i might put together a sprite in hopes that SOMEONE (thothie <3) would code it so that whenever someones stats increases a sprite plays above them.
:D wouldnt that be swell?
maybe something equivalent to the victory fanfare on FF7 haha

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
While I'm sure it's *possible* I'm not sure how to apply it. There's no script event for it, so it'd have to be something on the hard-code side, I guess it'd have to fire a new script event on the server-side of the player. I'll look into it later, but I've not got the VS up and running since I got this new system together.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I shall look into it on Sunday (I'll have time to dig into this thing hard core then). I do have access to the entire valve sprite library though (plus a fairly wide array of additional fx sprites under MSC itself), so I don't think we need more sprites for fx.

I do need a health bar sprite, if I'm going to eff around with the idea of health bars over people's heads. Preferably a 10-20 frame sprite that I can set by % of player's remaining health.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm no coder/scripter...But wouldn't a lvl up sprite be similar to the way models and sprites are cued when you activate a spell?

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I shall look into it on Sunday (I'll have time to dig into this thing hard core then). I do have access to the entire valve sprite library though (plus a fairly wide array of additional fx sprites under MSC itself), so I don't think we need more sprites for fx.

I do need a health bar sprite, if I'm going to eff around with the idea of health bars over people's heads. Preferably a 10-20 frame sprite that I can set by % of player's remaining health.

oh yes.

but only if you are in a party with them right?
if not oh well. xD

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Pointless to do that now, Vomica, since the party system is messed up anyway. When you joined someone's party, you'd be able to see their health, but when the map changed, it wouldn't work ;-)

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah i kind of figured the party system was a lost cause.
:oldlol:

oh and if its possible, make it so you glow for a second when you level.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Party isn't LOST, it just needs figuring out.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
uhhh...so, its there when you first do it, but it doesn't load afterwards unless you re-equip I MEAN re join? sounds familiar...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Different problem, I'm fairly certain.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
oh and if its possible, make it so you glow for a second when you level.
Glow shell, yes. I can do all sorts of nifty fx for level up. Anything akin to what you see when you whip out a scroll. Trick is, making a trigger for level up.

I actually recently added the ability to make things glow additive via setprop - but when you do it to a player, it has the odd side effect of making all their armor-covered bits invisible on the client. I tried making Demon Blood make you glow additive, and I wound up a floating head. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I R having the good news in relation to this subject. Now that I've got my VS2003 reinstalled, and looked at the code.

There is a script event, and I can capture it on indivdual players (although, true, the party thing is straight out - the whole party system is pretty buggy, I'd like to discourage its use atm anyhow).

Now the question is what to do with it... I'd like to have a unique sound for level up, and maybe a bunch of sprites go flying up and away from you. (Kinda like the old glow effect, but more elaborate)

I've got a bunch of mystery sounds from Crow laying about, but most of them are stereo, and they tend not to sound quite as nifty downsampled to mono. If anyone has a sound they'd like to submit, feel free. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the sound used in msc/sound/amb/quest1.wav

PS. I also have a pretty good idear how to apply the health-loss thingie without flooding the server with client side scripts. But I still need that 10-20 frame heath bar sprite.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
In reference of the party-system (primarily party-talk)... is there an estimated date for when this goes in the works; or even for when we might see a patch/denial-of-service for it?

I liked the party setup before, when it used to always work... and how us Blades, all of us Guildies, how we could enjoy a more private talk without prying ears...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No ETA, as no clue what's wrong with it.

I got a level-up sprite fx working... However, I think those two years in Frisco had some odd effect on me, as it has a bit of the gay rainbow effect going just now... Mayhaps I shoulda stuck with green... I'll let ya'll decide.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Party may be better off with a re-write from scratch.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i don't even use party.
so i don't care lol

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
MiB you think it is possible to hard-code the guild/party thing into a steamID relevant thing, requiring the central server (aka FN) to recognize people as in a party??

I am starting to think that, should party talk & that such be fixed, people may join the party on their own server then hop into another just to hijack the private speech...

Paranoia ftw!

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I haven't looked into the party code yet, but if it's possible to salvage, I'll do what I can. Like I said, it may be worth re-writing from scratch.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder...

Drinking Ale & that such in-game gives the character a woozy effect doesn't it? We should start screwing around in-game and see how much cash we can blow buying the stuff & drinking it in-game at the bar in edana :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
WTF does that have to do with a level-up-sprite or parties?!

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
its kinda like having a party in game...but thats a different kinda party -.-

and i've already done it!!!!