skycastle_rebuild1[released]

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
sorry to disappoint you guys, but the map should be ready to go tomorrow. the map is finished, it just needs to compile. it's gonna take like 6 or more hours(ridiculous).

this is a complete redo of the original skycastle made by Crow. youll notice slight variations in the monsters, but its still the same layout. it should run better, but i fear i may have still made it laggy in some spots. the architecture is much different looking and also has different textures.

Screenshot

sorry i took so long with this and didn't show you any screenshots.

Edit:
Download Here
this map will replace your current skycastle if you already have Curse of the Bear Gods. this download is for people who have the CotBG maps(which youll probably need to play the new skycastle).

let me know of any bugs and such.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow, that is a great looking castle...And I'm sure we don't mind, since you're already done ^^

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Looks pretty tasty.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Beautiful. Perhaps I can climb this one, as the current skycastle was lagging too much. (Seriously, we were getting STUCK in the air. I'm not talking about the server lagging so much that it looked like we were stuck, we were stuck stuck.)

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WoW, looks really nice, any screens of the inside?
youll have to see the inside for yourself in-game.
Beautiful. Perhaps I can climb this one, as the current skycastle was lagging too much. (Seriously, we were getting STUCK in the air. I'm not talking about the server lagging so much that it looked like we were stuck, we were stuck stuck.)
should be able to climb this one. it looks much bigger up close. i didnt put anything that would stop you from hopping the wall.
Looks good. WPOLY in that area?
that general area has the highest wpoly in the map at 800-1200 wpolies. it shouldnt be too bad for most people.

i hope thothie gets around to adding the scripts to the chests and releasing the map :?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
replica said:
should be able to climb this one. it looks much bigger up close. i didnt put anything that would stop you from hopping the wall.
I suggest you don't make it climbable; if you can climb the map and thus get on the top of the actual castle or the first building, a larger part of the map will have to be rendered. Especially with the WPOLY you're having, I wouldn't make it so that more crap (like the roof of the castle which you normally wouldn't see) has to be rendered. But it's your choice.

replica said:
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Looks good. WPOLY in that area?
that general area has the highest wpoly in the map at 800-1200 wpolies. it shouldnt be too bad for most people.
I know my 7800 GTX won't have a problem with that, but I'd really avoid going over 1000 WPOLY. Still, it's better than the current Skycastle's 2000 WPOLY (holy shit) though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The angle depicted has about 800 polys. Map is pretty bloody smooth.

If you are worried about the bear fight, you can see if THIS satisfies you (wave 1/3).

( I've no idea how you can love the skycastle bear fight, and not love the ms_snow fuzzy wuzzy raid - tis my favorite bit! ) ;)

Three problems I have with the map:
(minor) - I would appreciate it if we could do away with skeletons spawning in players. Please spawn them in the air (even if you have to poke a func illusionary hole in a roof)

(minor) - That door falling, while funny to you, is not going to be funny to your clientel - make it fall slow so they have a chance to dodge it - then at least their buddies can laugh at them for being so slow.

(major) - Bear god does not spawn (I had to cheat to make the door open). I did 4 runs and could not get the bear god to spawn. Looking at the source, I can't figure, off hand, what's supposed to make it spawn.

You can use the same treasure chest scripts skycastle uses. I'll adjust them for your map and rig it so they wont spawn on the old one.

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That door falling, while funny to you, is not going to be funny to your clientel - make it fall slow so they have a chance to dodge it - then at least their buddies can laugh at them for being so slow.
i never once thought it was funny. i figured it to be a legit way of making a boss entrance. i dont see why you wouldnt approve of this, seeing as how you made the ceiling trap in ms_wicardoven. oh wait you had a red torch that no one would ever think to use.

Bear god does not spawn (I had to cheat to make the door open). I did 4 runs and could not get the bear god to spawn. Looking at the source, I can't figure, off hand, what's supposed to make it spawn.
theres a trigger_counter that targets the multi_manager(targetname "bearbossmulti")that triggers all the bear god stuff after you kill 4 polar bears and 2 kodiaks. the only reason it wouldnt work is if you hadnt killed them all. i guess theyre still getting stuck in the caves :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I know I killed em all - I used the slayall command on two of those runs.

If you are trying to chain one monster spawn to another, you have to use the trigger_counter method between them, as its one of the few entities that doens't pass ownership, otherwise it'll bjork a good percent of the time.

Sorry if that bit about the door came off wrong, I forgot my emoticon. ;) - But the door takes up a good portion of the room, and there's not going to be much warning if it's fireallperish triggered, so unlike the classic wicardoven trap, it's all but completely unavoidable and on the opposite end of the map from the spawn. So I would again, suggest, having the door take about 3-5 seconds to fall, and have it do so when the bear god spawns. (Speaking of traps with no warning that I don't approve of in wicardoven – what was your idea for those trigger_hurts on the rising coffins in that skele chamber again?)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
(Speaking of traps with no warning that I don't approve of in wicardoven – what was your idea for those trigger_hurts on the rising coffins in that skele chamber again?)
A-HA! He's got you there, replica :mrgreen:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't think it was deliberate - he was offering a suggestion to fix it in some PM, but I seem to have lost what it was.

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
if i let people stand on them, they would break, and you wouldn't be able to continue. it wasn't supposed to kill you, but rather throw you off of it with a func_conveyor at top. but when i had the "Not Solid" flag checked it wouldn't work. so i kept it solid and let it crush people. i didn't know trigger_push even existed until i made this map. there were no trigger_hurts. it was just getting crushed on an invisible object. even with this change it might still break them.

the monster spawns aren't chained to each other. they have a multi_manager that triggers them over a certain period of time. if you can ripent in new times that would be good. all the entities that control the spawns/triggers are in the upper left corner of the wall with the big door. they don't mess up on the 4 polar+2 kodiaks. but they do seem to on the wave before them. it's not worth another 6 hour compile.

also if they're still getting stuck. you can raise the speed of the func_conveyors. id hate to do this though, because i don't want them getting launched out of the caves.

Tull

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Looks great. Now we just have to remake the mini-skycastle in lostcastle_msc :p

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thanks to foamy this map is now 100% working online. ill release the map after i recompile it, so it'll probably get released tomorrow in the morning(est)

Dark_Force9999

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Members of the TPoD guild is first to conquer the new Skycastle!

Dark_Force9999
LordThraxis
Villager

The Boss fight is the most fun fight I ever fought in this game. THIS MAP TOTALLY ROCKS! BTW: We got no rares except a bunch of relocation stones.

Btw: I love the wave with the bear cubs :D

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
download doesn't seem to be working :'(

nevermind, problem has been rectified via rapidshare :)