Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
STEAM_0:1:11447863

Slot 1 and 2

Time it last worked 5:20pm GMT (Lisbon time).

Reason: I clicked on my slot 1 character, got wiped to 5hp, reconnected and tried my slot 2 after a few minutes just to test see if it worked or not, and it also got wiped to 5hp.

EDIT:

This one is for Jessica.

STEAM_0:0:1278575

slot 3

Same time, same reason.

Thanks

JessJess

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah i seem to be having a spot of bad luck lately :/ Twice in two days! :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Done, done, and done...

Jeeeze...

I'm gonna have to make a sticky with an alternate recon.cfg or some such, as this is getting out of hand... Effing Steam random update goodness.

JessJess

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thank you very much :) I think you may have to D: Seems to be happening a lot

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just gonna put this up for now... I'm not *sure* this is the problem, but if you wanna take a stab at it, open:

<Steam_Path>\steamapps\common\Half-Life\msc\recon.cfg with notepad.
(Default steam path being "c:\Program Files\Steam")

Find the line:
Code:
alias lwait "waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1"
And change to:
Code:
alias lwait "waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1;waiter1"
(just double the waiter1;'s)

That'll slow your reconnect some, and make it less likely for you to get smacked with partially initialized map data, leading to dealloc crash. May or may not prevent the issue though.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Don't think this issue happens solo, at least i haven't seen it happen to anyone yet...

Makes me wonder, connecting(to server)/loading (character) at the sametime could perhaps cause this issue?

This time when the bug happened, i forgot to close the game, me and her pretty much connected at the sametime and probably clicked load-character in less than a second from each other. Prior to this i was constantly closing and rejoining after everyone joins and it was all safe.

So whatever this issue is, it's related to joining in too early/loading at the sametime, and it requires at least 2 players to happen.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It *should* be a multi-player only thing, though we did have one report it solo (though he wasn't sure, someone may have connected).

Back in the day (all the way pre MS 1.35 I believe), we used to get this bug all the time, sans character explosion. Fairly consistently, multiple players connecting to the server before the world initiated would calls a Memory Deallocation Error. This is why we initially put the connection delay in place... Again though, it didn't used to also result in character wipes.

I suppose, one way to manually avoid it, would to be have everyone disconnect, and one guy make the map change. You might want to be careful that everyone has at least touched the transition, though, I suppose, even on a Gauntlet map, as long as one person has, and he reconnects, it'd be fine.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
BUMP!

STEAM_0:1:11447863

slot 2

time it last worked, 5 minutes ago, 6:20 pm gmt +1 (lisbon/london time)

reason: 5hp glitch on my alt

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... Done, I think... New thread for each next time plzktnx, helps my poor aging mind keep these things straight.