Return of Dynamic Quests

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Lanethan said:
A dynamic quest was run ingame by a GM (in the case of Maldora, myself). This was back in the days when we still had game master control, before the great exploit-fest. A dynamic quest was a quest that required a player to be playing a monster/badguy which the players had to contend with. In this case I played Maldora, a vampire necromancer who summoned his own skeletons (something which was impossible to do as a player at the time) using GM controls, then controlled them through speech and led an attack against Edana. A group of four or five players were on the server at the time, and they banded together to kill my skeletons and then eventually to defeat Maldora (he had to be 'staked' by hitting him with a torch and/or shooting him in the heart with a bow, something I simulated by turning on invulnerability until a player hit me with said weapon and then instakilling myself when that happened).

Dynamic Quests were always my favorite part of that era of MS. Other dynamic quests included 'Master Guld,' the travelling martial artist who gave lectures on technique and focus, which, while purely a roleplaying situation, was also quite fun.

I'll have more detailed specs about the rest of the world available to you soon. :)

Was browsing the patch thread when i came upon this...It would be very interesting if we could find a way to reimplement that and still preventing characters from exploting. Such as recruiting special Gamemaster players who would have it tied to their steamid?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The gamemasters would be pestered 24/7. Nice idea though.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I think this is possible without a GM at all. You just need coding and items. I've actually been thinking about this alot recently.

Let's say you could get a bandits vest and helmet which would make you look like the bandits in msc. Then if you go to the keep while wearing the armor and helmet the bandits will be friendly to you and you can speak with the giant bandit guy. From there you could launch a new quest, a bandit invasion of Deralia. Perhaps you could be given a 'trigger item' that would trigger the quest when you used it in deralia.

What if it were even more dynamic though? What if there were a second quest in the future 'Hall of Deralia' map that allowed you to get the gear of a Deralia soldier? And what if everybody wearing the Deralia soldier gear had auto pvp against anybody wearing bandits gear? If that were possible players could choose to be on the side of the bandits or fight to save Deralia.

You could have NPCs spawn for both sides and have the bandits fight to destroy something, say all of the commoners (or loot the galat chest?). Your goal as a player wearing Deralia gear is to save at least one npc from the Bandit players and their npc army. Or, perhaps the bandits could have a bandit boss that had to be killed to stop the invasion, forcing the bandits to protect their npc boss at the same time that they are trying to slay commoners and fight off other players.

So, for those of you who don't want to read my long winded nonsense:
-Creative items and equipment that initiate in-game events and allow players to side with some of the games npcs
-New scripts for old maps that allow for new pvp events to take place

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That would make semi dynamic quests, but immagine joining a server and then a special gm character appears and launches an event giving you a reward.

Such random quests makes it interesting.