Rejuvenation: Tome vs Scroll

Clan Hunter

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Well last night I was getting to a point were I noticed "Hey, now that I have Spell Casting 5, rejuvenation would really cut down on my downtime between fights" I've been avoiding getting tomes as when it comes to tomes vs scroll I prefer the benefits of scrolls. Tome of rejuvenation costs around 300 tops (most I can recall seeing it for). The scroll sells for a whopping 4-8K. After spending some time grinding away I scored myself the 4K that I've found it as low as. Giggling with glee, I ran off to go get myself hurt and popped the scroll. The tome when cast gives off a passive regen of around 1.33% hp per second. The scroll does not. Needless to say, I was not happy. So if the scroll doens't give off the passive regen why does it cost so much?

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Because it doesn't make your character break?

Seriously, though, I'm confused about that as well. I've noticed that having rejuvenation as a tome is probably more beneficial, as you can cast it on the fly without fumbling through sacks or spellbooks, plus the passive regen is nice. IMO, I think the passive spells (except glow) are best to be tomed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I prefer glow tomed for ease of access. Ice shield, rejuvinate, glow, I all liked tomed for the same reasons.

I've not had the time to go get the potions of forgetfulness and tomes required to pull it off, but if I did it over again, I'd probably have those, fire ball and blizzard tomed. The passive together with ye old standbys.

Tetsmega1

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Have rejuvenate tomed because if it's the first slot, you can just press 2(default) and click and have instant healing(not really).

And it also has the passive heal?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I have Volcano, Rejuv, Ice Shield, and Glow tomed, just because those are my four frequently used spells.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
erratic lightning, rejuv, summon undead, and volcano in that order are tomed for me. I only use rejuv/volcano... but both of them are actually quite good tomed.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just so you know, Veil, you can use Potions of Forgetfulness a spell you choose, now, instead of all of them.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Eh, I have no reason... my muscle memory is attuned to that specific tome configuration. I've had those spells tomed since keledros #1 was released lol.

Onibaku

New Adventurer
Reaction score
tomed spells are good b/c ... from my experience the spell casting duration seems to be longer for most spells... i could be wrong its been a while sice i have tested this.

as for tomed spells i have in in the order of posting
ice shield (sucks when it breaks in the middle of a fight with a horror)
rejuv
fire ball (use this a LOT)
chain lightning (weak but mana effective pending on the situation)
blizz (it gets lost all the time as a scroll)

im thinking i should get a lightning storm tome b/c the length of the spell solely relies on the spell duration that you have.
i havent tried firewall or volcano at higher spell levels... but i think those are best as scrolls b/c you can only cast one per selection i think.. so you cant move around if they are tomed if you were to spam those spells.

Snow Wolf / RaZoR

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Onibaku said:
tomed spells are good b/c ... from my experience the spell casting duration seems to be longer for most spells... i could be wrong its been a while sice i have tested this.

as for tomed spells i have in in the order of posting
ice shield (sucks when it breaks in the middle of a fight with a horror)
rejuv
fire ball (use this a LOT)
chain lightning (weak but mana effective pending on the situation)
blizz (it gets lost all the time as a scroll)

im thinking i should get a lightning storm tome b/c the length of the spell solely relies on the spell duration that you have.
i havent tried firewall or volcano at higher spell levels... but i think those are best as scrolls b/c you can only cast one per selection i think.. so you cant move around if they are tomed if you were to spam those spells.
Thats cakked trading. :mrgreen:

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Use a tome and the exact time server crashes, nothing happens. Try doing that with a Scroll! say bye bye!

xxxcoldmanxxx

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah... I lost TWO Freezing sphere scolls and a Poison cloud to it.

Edit: And a Healing Circle scroll... >.>

Picadilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Learning tomes also reduces item count as compared to carrying scrolls...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Picadilly said:
Learning tomes also reduces item count as compared to carrying scrolls...

...Tomes still send a script to the client...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
By one character. And, for reference, when was the last time you heard of a crash from 8+ scrolls? 8+ tomes? >_>

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Again, by one character; One byte. >_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, once memorized, tomes aren't part of the inventory data that causes the crash, I think is what Jelly is on about, so tis true, you can save inventory data by memorizing spells. Tomes just sitting in your inventory use only one character less of data though, which is what I think is what MiB is on about (scroll_mhandname vs scroll2_mhandname)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Once memorized, tomes are still sent to the client via their script name. They're actually WORSE like this, as we've seen, because there's a loop that puts them all in the same message.

Picadilly

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So memorizing tomes vs. burdening your inventory has no positive effect?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In my opinion it would, I dunno what MiB's on about now.

I'm going to look into tracking the size of inventory data on a player var, and see if I can stop overflow that way. If I can get that to work reliably and find the breaking point, we maybe able to just dump the item limit, and stop picking up items after the inventory data reaches a certain size.

Markkanen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hmm just wanted to say, i have 3 lesser bags of holding and often over 70 items and no overflow, just though that it might help in someway, since it doesn't seem like that's a reason for overflows. Or i'm just really lucky