My char got deleted.

Diogo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was gonna play at thothies today,couple hours ago but the server was full,so i went to play CSS. When i came back my character was replaced with some char called "LOAD ERROR RECONNECT" or something. I was level 10,now i'm level 1. What the hell? Can anyone restore me?

My ingame name was D.Campos,1st slot, steam id is STEAM_0:0:1713986.

PLEASE help me, i started playing today,and i don't want to lose my char....

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
/me POUNDS HEAD INTO KEYBOARD

Okay...

What part of "LOAD ERROR RECONNECT" and "DO NOT CLICK!" did you NOT understand!? >< FFS!!!

Let's face it, there's just no way to stop players from deleting themselves this way... I'm out of idears lest I figure something with the hard code, or figure what I did to make chars unloadable before...

If your STEAM_ID hasn't authenticated by the time you connect to the server, you cannot load your character, as it is ID dependant, you must reconnect. *IF* however, if you disobey the warning and click on the "DO NOT CLICK!" character - it becomes your character after your Steam_ID authenticates. This character was created as a placeholder to stop players from winding up with stolen 'clones' of one another's characters.

I tried... I really did... I dun think I can make it any clearer than this:

duh.gif

Anyone got any other ideas while I restore this guy's character?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Follow up:

Either the ID you gave me is wrong, or you created your character within the last six hours, as there is no ID in the latest backup archive (created 6am Central) by that number:
steam_id_wtf.gif

If it is a brand new character, you can't have lost very much data though. (And if you are that new, maybe I can feel better about the future of humanity and let the inability to read basic instructions slide...)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I have two suggestions:

1. Is that (I didn't ever see a response) that you fill the PENDING's with too many items (5k worth for safety) so that they can't load.

2. Take a look through the hard coding (in the loading GUI) for what happens when they try to load on non-spawn anywhere maps

My guess is that it's just a boolean var of enabled or not

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
I have two suggestions:

1. Is that (I didn't ever see a response) that you fill the PENDING's with too many items (5k worth for safety) so that they can't load.

2. Take a look through the hard coding (in the loading GUI) for what happens when they try to load on non-spawn anywhere maps

My guess is that it's just a boolean var of enabled or not

First one's no good - as it seems overloaded chars still load and save - then crash.

Second one might be an idear... If I pull the chars name, and if it's named "LOAD_ERROR-RECONNECT" it refuses to let you click. Involves research though... Ya know - YOU could help with that. :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, I went and did the first one anyways... Stuffed him with feathers...

I'm thinking if someone clicks on the char fast enough that it's before their ID is resolved (as would likely happen with an accidental click) it'd still try to save to the write-protected STEAM_ID_PENDING slot when it crashed, thus, no harm done.

I'll figure something in the MS.DLL too, to prevent loads under that name, if I can.