Missing .WAD

Matthias_129

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I downloaded the MasterSword Quest map series for use for LAN since Thothie's server is currently not up, or wasn't a little while ago. Anyways, downloading the maps just got the the .bmp's, and when I run the maps, the game crashes and I get an error saying I'm missing the credtex.wad file. I was hoping someone could supply me with this wad so I can stop being bored? Thank you for your time and help!

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
you could try renaming a current wad to that, such as the deralia wad file, but it might have some negative effects...(missing textures)...

if that doesn't work, try looking up that wad file on google...google is your friend...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've not bothered converting Cyax's Quest series for MSC.... Dun think it's really worth the time it'd take from other projects.

Matthias_129

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I've tried both renaming different wads and searching on google, with the former, it just crashes, no error. But oh, Thothie, that mean that the maps I DL'd wouldn't work then? Man, that's a shame, was looking for something new to explore...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We're still not 100% backwards compatible with MS 1.35 - much closer than we were back in January - but there's still some issues. A likely culprit is that the capitalization was changed between MS 1.35 and MS 1.4 (MSC) - and since scripts are case sensitive, I can't restore one script for one map, without making it crash another.

I could take some time from Helena2/old_Helena/sfor to convert the Cyax's Quest series, it'd probably only mean a minimal amount of ripenting... But the series was always, well, lacking, I don't think it's really worth the effort - but I can put on the list of things to do.

I dunno what ever happened to Cyax - seems his mapping skills should have improved by now. Cyax, from a purely technical and performance standpoint, actually made better maps than Crow did, back when those were made. From a creativity standpoint, however, they lacked in the extreme. Technical skill is easy to pick up over time, but creativity, I'm afraid, is harder to nurture.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bleh, nvm - that was almost too easy:

http://www.thothie.com/msc/msc_quest.rar

These are *extrodinarily* simple maps intended for lone players. (Multiple players will dominate these maps, lest they are all like level 3)

Didn't bother with the self-installer, hopefully ye can figure it out.

They'll require one of the newer beta's to run, I suspect... I think July 10th or later would be fine.

Custom content thread for more info:
viewtopic.php?t=2102

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
As for the .WAD file.... yes you just copy another .WAD file & rename it to whatever, it always works when you do that... the problem with that is it screws up some textures though.

DarkZ

New Adventurer
Reaction score
er.. ya right

sry to dissapoint you but c/p existing wads to other names doesnt work and game DOES crash, been trying to get one of the custom maps from thothies page to run but it requires snow.wad, i managed to get the models needed but c/p and rename some random wad file to that does NOT work, wether its msc that can run that map anymore or you might actually _need_ the org wad file, either ways map wont load and game crashes.

thoth sweetheart you got that snow.wad for me? :oldlol:

edit: oh n' yea.. sry for diggin this thread up but sometimes old is good too :) rather resurrect the dead then waste another thread, you should never waste threads :eek:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Copying wad files ALWAYS works for me. It just ends up with Purple-Black everywhere >_> Do it with DERALIA.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What map ya trying to run that requires snow.wad?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nope, ms_snow uses wadinclude. No wads needed.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
DarkZ's a noob :oldshock:

Revived a thread that was like six months old, NOOOOOB!

Anyways, yes copying & renaming .WAD's does work. If it doesn't for you, your computer sucks and is glitching up in the copy/paste process itself; that, or it's your video card and it can't render purple, black, and white like MiB's & mine.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It could also be that he was renaming a wad file that had less textures than the one the map was looking for. That's why you always take Deralia, mucho texturos. (Flawless spanisho)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Arigoto Mr. Roboto... that's GOTTA be spanish, it has the "o" at the end... (lawl japanese oriented song?) :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Arigoto Mr. Roboto... that's GOTTA be spanish, it has the "o" at the end... (lawl japanese oriented song?) :D

what does that have to do with...anything? wadfiles...? o...?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
You talking about that insanely large several-hundred-megabytes .wad file thothie posted up :oldshock:

*Has a heart-attack due to massive panic induced by evilsquirrel's stupid reminder of an evil .WAD file*