New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
the issue comes about when steam servers get flooded with requests to either

a. download the game
b. request to unlock the game
c. to actually play the game.

Either way you look at it, the steam servers bog way down slowing down everyones steam performance, in just so happens in thothies case it takes him out.

I have had the issue myself when steam denied me any service for an hour...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
I don't know what Thothie is complaining about.. Steam just told me they added support for Bioshock. How could anything bad have happened to it?

Steam does updates like I do. "100,000 things we didn't bother to tell you about." - every time there's an update, no matter how tiny, just about every file in my damned Steam Folder updates. Plus it resets the file dates on GCF files to "maintain consistancy", so it's effectively doing updates and covering up the evidence afterwards.

Steam won't even start right now, no Dr. Watson, no net traffic, no anything. I've downloaded a new install of Steam onto one of the laptops, and that one won't start either. *sigh* I go through this so often, it's a little different every time, but usually it takes me a week or two to fix it. (Not counting when Steam first became mandatory, and it took six months.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
I don't know what Thothie is complaining about.. Steam just told me they added support for Bioshock. How could anything bad have happened to it?

Steam does updates like I do. "100,000 things we didn't bother to tell you about." - every time there's an update, no matter how tiny, just about every file in my damned Steam Folder updates. Plus it resets the file dates on GCF files to "maintain consistancy", so it's effectively doing updates and covering up the evidence afterwards.

Steam won't even start right now, no Dr. Watson, no net traffic, no anything. I've downloaded a new install of Steam onto one of the laptops, and that one won't start either. *sigh* I go through this so often, it's a little different every time, but usually it takes me a week or two to fix it. (Not counting when Steam first became mandatory, and it took six months.)

The_Rilez said:
Thothie, I NEED that background, without gabe or babies.
You don't NEED anything. Freaking HL2 startup screen is just fine, it's easy to modify later. Don't be waiting on content to make the code that makes it work. Having more than one person working on base-level source code is hard to coordinate anyways, so yer better off on your own there, but for the love of god, do not ask for models/graphics/sounds, nor bother looking for them. Just use the standard HL2 media, and we can make graphics/models/sounds that conform to that. Even NS was once little Gordan Freeman's running around, with white glow's to indicate HA. CS used freaking HL1 scientists for hostages for ages. You’ve all the media you need to make the game function, worry about aesthetics later – it’s not your problem.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Not that I have any place to say this, but as a coder of MS:S, you should be working on the code and nothing else. That is why there are mappers/modellers/whatever. Stick to your area, and it will help it get done faster.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie - That was almost a double post, but not quite. I lol'd :p

I like how neither you nor Blasto got that I was being sarcastic >_> Steam wouldn't even need an update for me to believe that they f*cked something up for ya.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Not that I have any place to say this, but as a coder of MS:S, you should be working on the code and nothing else. That is why there are mappers/modellers/whatever. Stick to your area, and it will help it get done faster.

There aren't mappers (that are working)

There aren't modellers (that are working)

I said a few posts ago I have the foundation for stats set

I'm afraid of going into the IRC now because of people shouting " ADD CHARACTER SAVING RIGHT NOW " or something to that extent.

Also, the menu screen IS part of the code. Technically, if thothie sent me it and I implemented it, I would still be doing my job.

I am coding.

I'm not doing anything else.

I don't feel like explaining how boring it is coding all day and not having any media to show "because it isnt my job"

What would make it go faster would be having people other than just dRkill and myself working.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
People want to see Char Saving done first because that's one of the biggest, hardest things. If you get that done, it's not only a major step for MS:S but major credit for you (especially if it worked well and was hard to crack ;-)). Anyone can make a stats system, really - not a lot of people can make a hard to crack character saving/storing system (particularly one where ya don't need to have a char wipe to change how you load/store >_<)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'd prefer to finish stats first

particularly because its half way done and dRkiLL wants to help with it.

Character saving is second, I haven't started it yet.

I have however, looked into it. I have all the example code I need, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Central Server or Client Side? And how hard will it be to crack it if it's client side?

I love the idea of clientside chars, but they're just so easily owned >_<

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm basing it off of scripts thothie sent me.

Make your own assumptions off of that. :wink:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Once agian, I wasn't even aware that any loading/storing was done via scripts. I was/am fairly certain it was/is done by hard code.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well ya gotta have stats before you can have characters to save. ;)

Client side characters likely would be first - worry about figuring how to do a central server later - tis basically how the evolution of MS 1.35->MSC went anyways.

But basically, yer game should look like so:
218d8d91a9620cebcc6e3f695433c0dd.jpg

Before you can even think of integrating media.

One of the reasons for this, is with no framework, no one can even make models for ya. They don't know what animations it needs, what sizes, what events, materials, and so on, and so forth, unless you grab an HL2 model and make code to manipulate it.

Same with maps, you've no entities coded - so any map is the same from any other. You don't want to test entities with a "real" map - it makes it a lot harder. You want a box with buttons (like I used to test all the monsters and entities I code). Most every mod has somewhere in their developer archive a box map with every other entity in the game, such as this. (I know NS, and Wizard Wars does, as I have the maps - I think MS 1.0 did as well.)

Even the menu backdrop is no-go. I've no source mods, so I don't know what resolution or format you need it to be, nor do I know if button glow effects are internally generated or done by swapping the graphic. Best I could do is give you the PSD and hope you have the right software/know-how to break up the materials for yourself.

The Man In Black said:
Once agian, I wasn't even aware that any loading/storing was done via scripts. I was/am fairly certain it was/is done by hard code.
It's... not. I sent him code. He's just got his terms mixed up.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:

It's scripted and compiled into a .dll for convenience.

its also for security, you can't edit them easily.

Character saving doesn't run on scripts but the code that was compiled into the .dll file.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think Thothie is right - you really do have yer terms messed up =|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nvm, I've no idea what he's on about then, but I didn't send him any scripts. ;)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure im messing up terms.

Character Saving and Loading is handled by various C++ files.

These files are then compiled under Visual Studio.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I know you wouldn't - some great non-existent travesty of the past >_>

In anycase....Pie?

Yes.. C++ != scripts. Scripts are their own language in .script files that are compiled into an sc.dll. Only the sc.dll has scripts ;-)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Thats what I just said.

Four posts ago.

Its almost 4 in the morning, deal with it, I can't think straight this late.

To thothie, about the background.

When we get some mappers, I'll get an animated background instead. Like the ones used for HL2. Until then I'll just use the default..

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Did ANYONE get what I said out of his post "four posts ago"? I certainly didn't =|

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I said the code is compiled into a .dll

What are you not understanding

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
what are you on about on these .script files

.cpp .h and such are compiled into the .dll

whatever I give up trying to explain at 4 in the morning

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Master Sword: Continued uses Scripts to make adding (most) entites easily. You can make NPCs, Weapons, map startup fun, player events, etc in the scripts. The scripting language makes it very easy to do this. You save scripts in ".script" files. These files are compiled via special C++ program into 'sc.dll'. Thothie didn't send you these, so you probably haven't seen them.

See, Scripts are like a lever and the code is like a rock.. Moving the rock is very hard and a lever makes it easy to move it about, BUT you have less control over it when moving it with a lever. (Come on, I have to find SOME geek who finds this funny :()

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In short, scripts are LUA coding packed into a secure dll. They're a hell of a lot easier to write up than actual code.

This, for instance, is the boar boss of Edana script:
Code:
//Boar boss, in the old man's garden in edana

{
   const GORE_FORWARD_DAMAGE 	3
   const GORE_SIDE_DAMAGE 	1.5
   const ATTACK_HITPERCENT 	60%
   const BOAR_CAN_CHARGE	1
   const BOAR_CHARGE_DMG	9
   const NPC_GIVE_EXP		15

}

#include monsters/boar_hard

{  npc_spawn

hp 60
   takedmg all .81
   name a|Huge Aggressive Wild Boar
   hearingsensitivity 4

//Set this here, to override base scripts
   setvard CAN_FLEE 		0	//base_npc_attack - Whether I run away at low health (changes for boar)
}

{ npc_post_spawn
	//this is set in the base too (on spawn), so must reset here 
	setvard DROP_ITEM1 skin_boar_heavy 	//base_monster - Item Drop #1
	setvard DROP_ITEM1_CHANCE 100%		//base_monster - Chance of item drop #1
}
Makes it a hell of a lot easier than running through and defining all that crap for each and every monster in the hard code, plus it makes it so less code-aware people can make scripts for the game. I think the eventual intention was to let mappers make their own scripts, but I've not figured a safe way to allow that yet.