Abduction

IARI

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Hey Evryone this is the First map im working on
I've done one counterstrike Map a decade ago so i know Worldcraft but that one does not count :)

Here's the Story:

You ennter small settlement which is totally empty - the inhabitants have been abducted by the Kharaztorant Cult's Acolytes.
Your mission is to rescue them from the dungeon of the Cult's Temple deep inside a Mountain. There will be more than one way to achieve this Goal!

Ive done about 40-50% of the bare terrain so far.
I'll happily use the new Eagles, but I want to use Kharaztorant Initiates as well as hollow ones and would like to use firelizard too :)

Update: About 90% of Brushwork done

Entrance of the Temple:

Payin Homage to Kharaztorant:

? -> NEED DRAGON MODEL

Its not like - besides combat training - the Members of the Cult wouldn't need Any theoretical Education:

Being a big institutiun, the Mountain-temple is equipped with furnishings and fittings:
The cultists...

...gotta poop somewhere..

...gotta sleep somewhere:

...gotta store weapons:

and eventually gotta have a cool stairway leading to their Masters Throneroom or whatever:

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad, from what I can see. Make sure ye finish the map, though :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Is it too late to have the abducters be a different group?

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
not quite but well ive done some dragon-stuff yet ... who were you thinking of?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I didn't have anyone in mind, but from what you've said it doesn't feel like Khaz thing to do. I'd hate to think the Khaz would become like orcs - thrown into a map just 'cause there's nothing better =\

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How about a place where many adventurers and travellers got abducted by ghouls to their underground caves, only to end up getting eaten.

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why does it not feel like a Khaz thing?

I have read evrything i found about them ... which is not much.

and from that i dont see why they shouldnt get viliagers to do experiments, sacrifice them, to try to brainwash them or for whatever other reason ... I was totally planning on working out the story though.

I am VERY intrested in ANY link you have for me about the cult, Anything in which the Dragons appear, or Anything else relevant for that plot.

Isn't it typical for evil cultists to abduct people?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
and from that i dont see why they shouldnt get viliagers to do experiments, sacrifice them, to try to brainwash them or for whatever other reason ... I was totally planning on working out the story though.

Ah, see, that's what I was looking for. Now you've got more than just "They're abducting them... 'cause..." Yes, that should work for them, then. If Thothie feels up to it, it would be cool if the experiments had random villager names on them >_> (Hell, I could even do that much)

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And actually i came to the Khaz Cult the other way round .... i was planning to do a map with an abduction first i think, then i asked JM what i should with that idea and he suggested khaz cult, told me a lil bout it and i read what i could find. i did plan to include dwarves in the map that help you to free the hostages as i read they are ancient enemys of the khaz cult i think.

dont worry taht the map wont have a logical deep story :)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
IARI said:
And actually i came to the Khaz Cult the other way round .... i was planning to do a map with an abduction first i think, then i asked JM what i should with that idea and he suggested khaz cult, told me a lil bout it and i read what i could find. i did plan to include dwarves in the map that help you to free the hostages as i read they are ancient enemys of the khaz cult i think.

dont worry taht the map wont have a logical deep story :)

Dwarves lay down the h8 on Kharaztorant himself, so yes, Dwarven allies would be a logical choice in this map. Maybe we can throw some xbows on the good dwarf model.

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
they dont necessarily need to fight with the playe, it would be cool though.

they actually mainly provide the background for one of the ways to free the villagers

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I *could* see it as a Khaz thing... They could be taking "not so willing" "recruits" to accelerate the abominable breeding experimentations of their master, resulting in mass Khaz larva. Might even be able to rig it so that if you don’t reach certain civilians in time, they mutate into larva.

Hollow one is a bitch to do, but if the map looks good, I’ll take the time.

Fire lizard I’m going to have to do in anycase, so I’m with ya there.

There's also some elder Khaz wizards that'll be a slight pain, that I've not added yet.

k_cult.gif

brian4

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This map has the makings of a classic. I'm glad to see its not another "pwn all the monsters in small areas, than pwn the boss in a tiny, inescapable room."

edit: git-r-done

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I think your terrain looks very could, but I couldn't help but notice the 1047 wpoly in that screenshot. You might want to be careful with that; wpoly counts above 1000 can cause some nasty lag.

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, Thanx for the flowers :)

Ill just continue my work and give new screenies sometime - im gonna finish the terrain before i do nething else :)

JM, Well im a mapping noob but of course i will try to make the map perform as good as possible, so i was slightly looking at the r_speeds but not really caring, ill try to optimize stuff when the terrains completed.
Also in this place there wont be lots of fighting propably - only some of the new eagles and maybe single other monsters... You can totally be assured that I will concern you once i am that far :)

brian4

New Adventurer
Reaction score
high w-poly counts seem to be on most good looking ms:c maps. May not be able to help it.

git-r-done

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Ever seen the badlands cliffs? They look amazing, and have incredibly low wpoly counts.

brian4

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Not yet.

git-r-done

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Ever seen the badlands cliffs? They look amazing, and have incredibly low wpoly counts.
Yeah... Like 0 Wpoly, I suspect. :p

IARI

New Adventurer
Reaction score
New Screenshots will follow Very soon, i got about 75% of the brushwork done now.

But i still need a Dragon Model ...

atm im using the gargoyle.mdl (used in loda i think?) but it really needs to be replaced by a Dragon.

it doesnt have to be extremely detailed, Can be stone-textured too, so no need to do hell lots of skinning work...

Would someone maybe want to do one?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ye wish to use the one I sent ye, I could send it your way - but you might be best off making it from map brushes.

I can also, if you so wish, maybe rig a script where the dragon just moves forward like 256 units, breaths fires, then retracts and vanishes. You could use this to put the dragon's head behind a wall, break the wall, have it come through and set folks on fire, then go away... My original plan for dealing with the death of this dragon was to do that several times before facing him in his lair - but I don't think you intend to make a high enough level map to be slaying any dragons, so a cameo might do.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie, in that screenshot showing all the Kharaztorant people, what's the translucent big-ass raptorjesus in the background?