A GOOD WAY TO EXPAND MSC GAMEPLAY

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I was thinkig of adding "the dark side"
is basically based of games like metroid prime2 or legend of zelda: a link to the past.
The idea is adding an item which lets the character switch between the normal side or the dark side of the level currently played. the only difference would be a change in textures, different chest, new monsters, but the map remains almost the same.
for example you would change between helena or hellish helena, rats are changed for maggots or giant maggots, etc.
the basic set of textures for the map would be the ones used in the tunnel right before entering the hell disco in calruin2, wich are walls made of flesh which are constantly pulsating.

As you can see, it can be a great way too expand gameplay without "totally new" map and the time we must wait for them, meaning they only thing to made new for them are the locations of the treasures and new packs of "hellish monsters"

Please post your comments

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
That is an awesome idea but it cannot work because with the GoldSource engine, only one map can be played on a server, and the "dark" people can only play with other "dark" people. so it would be kind of useless. Love the idea tho.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Only the player with the key item would be able to change the map into its dark side but veryone else must play it too.
also, the change would be a transicion more than twin maps in one file.

So, there should be altars scattered trhough the game, one in each map, and each altar can only be used with a different key item, so players should search for different key items in order to acces the dark side of certain map... but not without a boss in the way i think

NOTE: is someone in the msc team interesting in converting a t-rex model (has animations) into a dragon? because i found one and it would be great to have a dragon or something like that in the game

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
NOTE: is someone in the msc team interesting in converting a t-rex model (has animations) into a dragon? because i found one and it would be great to have a dragon or something like that in the game

fire_lizard.gif
I suspect Seniõr Fire Lizard may look familiar.

"Hellish" maps would be possible just by swapping out the wads and upgrading the monsters. Could be done with Ripent+Wally. Might be a bit more impressive than the simple "Level2" maps we used to have, but still time consuming to do. Lest, ya know, someone else wants to volunteer.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, thats the model i was talking about.

I was thinkig that every map should have a %rate that the enemy containing a key iteam apears. for example in edana it would be a dark rat, a very big rat with maggots in its body who summons small rats that explode into poison, and releases poison when attacked with non magic attacks.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA omg FER that is awesome. I like your thinking

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Also, when in the dark world, the transition point could lead to actually new areas and not the adjacent ones in the normal world.

Helena for example. remenber the little cave with nothing inside, well, when you change to the dark world it acutually has something or leads to somewhere.

Also the dark monsters that drops the key items reperesent the area they are. In helena it would be a living sword.

Nedless to say the dark world is for high level players (25+), those who are lower are being pursued by an invincible grim reaper who kills them in few hits.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
why kill the new players, that would just drive them away...

perhaps felewyn protects them, by preventing anything from attacking near them, including them.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
its a good idea if only low level characters could carry it.

How about a protective seal near transition point which drive monster away?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If someone would make this for me, I could add a transition to a hard/hellish/dark variant of every map.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
a door sorrounded in chains and bones would be cool. and when you open it, lots of cockroaches came out.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If by "be cool" you mean "kill GoldSource", yes, it would definitely be cool :p

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Lol, by a lot i mean no more than 10 roaches (and im refeering to the generic HL ones you found in the game)

something like that gate thing that holds the chest with the old book in thornlands would be good.

snake

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I've just scim read all the posts, I too agree with this idea thinking its pretty nice. Just adding to what has been said, my opinion for this 'dark side' map could be an object placed in the map which acts as a transition zone to this 'dark side', placing the normal and dark side of the map can't be done in my opinion, as the half life engine has its limits.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
placing the normal and dark side of the map can't be done in my opinion, as the half life engine has its limits.
Can be done, quite easily, with just Ripent and Wally, as I said. (Dun even have to map, really.)

It'd be two seperate maps though. The transition tool is the sticky part, lest you make it simple and make it just a seperate set of alternative maps. (dark_thornlands.bsp, for instance)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the portals in ww3 in the boss room look good too

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dun have my portals setup yet, but I have my first "darkside" map, feel free to give it a shot, if your character can survive:

viewtopic.php?p=29711#29711

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hip... hip.... hooray for Dark side maps; gahh! I feel so exhausted... ahhhh!! I don't have the spirit for this; lemme just hop on in-game, see if any semi-decent servers are up (since lately really crappy and out-dated ones have been up) :D