1st Annual Wallpaper Contest Voting!

Which contestant's wallpaper(s) do you like best?

• Echo717

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • franky200

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • jon50559

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Caluminium

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Guardian said:
I voted for jon since his images appeared to be of the highest quality and seemed to have taken the largest amount of time and work in order to complete. His ideas were also all very original.
QFT

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Might be a wee bit late, but finally got this on the front page, as well as yet another plea for donations. The current contestant's wallpapers are also available on the downloads page.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Cool. TBH, they're all pretty good! I didn't have a favorite, so I used this as an excuse to crack out the d4 and start rolling (sorry Cal, the die eluded you :( ) I'm actually going to laugh if they tie in the end, but they had all picked different games they wanted anyway... and maybe they each get a crest. In which case, none of the above drama mattered anyway.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
All this voting manipulation is a little silly.

I've seen at least 5 new accounts that have just voted and left a minute later without returning to the forums.

Voted for jon50559, really like that second wallpaper.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
CZP3Y.png

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I bet there are more coming, just you watch! :wink:

PS: right click image and open on new tab, kthx.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
CZP3Y.png

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I bet there are more coming, just you watch! :wink:

PS: right click image and open on new tab, kthx.
Yeah, I was noticing this... Funny how it didn't come up until AFTER I mentioned there was nothing funky on the member list on March 3rd... Guess the bastard was thinking we wouldn't check again, or something.

TBH, the vote was more accurate before it was reset. Nonetheless, the results are the same, as far as first place is concerned. (edit: Wait, not anymore they're not...)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lol, ms:c poll wars...

We should do this more often it's getting kinda funny in a way. :p

@ Kuroneko: Suggestion of the month. Completely disable voting privileges of any kind for new members, for the first month of membership, so stuff like this doesn't happen again..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So... Panel of judges? ;)

I'd nominate Gurluas, Trombone Man, zeus9860, just seeing as how they're on. Red Cell, of course, for starting the contest. Orochi, for the picky aesthetic eye. And FER, just because, he's FER.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Thothie said:

I'd nominate Gurluas, Trombone Man, zeus9860, just seeing as how they're on. Red Cell, of course, for starting the contest. Orochi, for the picky aesthetic eye. And FER, just because, he's FER.

yes

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
franky200 said:
Thothie said:

yes

EDIT: Its not obvious at all how Avacado went from 18 to 24 votes in 30-60 minutes
I'm responsible for that, not him. They weren't second accounts, though. I merely asked people who weren't in the community, which, according to you, is "not bad at all". I also did it without consulting him first.

Madman: Madman: nice alts bro
Rev. Avacado Maelstrom: what chu want
Rev. Avacado Maelstrom: bah they're clearly yours
Madman: 18 votes to 23
Madman: in 30 minutes
====================================
*censored*: How many people did you ask to vote for ya
Madman: like 60%
Madman: alot never played msc either
Madman: i just asked random friends whicho ne they like best
Madman: then they said mine
Madman: :\
*censored: so like random people on steam friends?
*censored*: smart idea
Madman: not every friend
Madman: some of my closer friends
*censored*: Ah
======================================
Rev. Avacado Maelstrom: Madman: its not alts bro
Madman: its asking people
Rev. Avacado Maelstrom: people who don't play msc
Madman: thats not bad at all

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Oh, well okay i guess :\ (lets just not start drama and just wait for the new judges to vote it?)

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you really want to know what i would do with the podium, here goes:

1st) Jon, both wallpapers are good, shad_palace one is pure win on this poll.
2nd) Echo, mostly because of his first wallpaper, it does have that nice feeling for a wallpaper, only negative aspect is the letters once again. Other entries are kinda terrible and probably rushed entries, so i'm going to ignore those...
3rd) Caluminium, both wallpapers are missing some improvements, they do look nice but it could have been better and it also feels like they were rushed a bit.
4th) Franky, i do like the concept of this image, but its missing alot more important stuff that could be displayed in it, and it doesn't give me that feeling that it isn't actually a wallpaper, but some elaborate way of pointing out stuff.

Classifications (1 to 5):
-Jon's shad_palace is worthy of a 5.
-Jon's "worldmap" is worthy almost as much as the previous one, i would say 4,5.
-Echo's first wallpaper is worth 4, other ones i would classify them with 2-2,5.
-Cal's both wallpapers are worth 3,5.
-Franky's wallpaper, it's almost on par with caluminium. So i would have to say a 3.

These are the things that come to mind if I were to use these wallpapers as my desktop background.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I'm really quite glad you did something like this before me, Red Cell. I was seriously considering hosting a mapping or modeling contest using free games as prizes. Now I'm not so sure that it's actually a good idea.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
It's a great idea, the only flaw was the way to decide who wins.

Maybe if the polls were edited so people could publicly see who voted for what, better results could be gotten.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
Maybe if the polls were edited so people could publicly see who voted for what, better results could be gotten.

zeus9860 said:
@ Kuroneko: Suggestion of the month. Completely disable voting privileges of any kind for new members, for the first month of membership, so stuff like this doesn't happen again..

Either way works honestly, if more poll contests are made in the future i would like to see some improvements on them to avoid this.

Monika's_BFFEx0255

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My bad, I'll judge right now.

1)Lockdown: The amount of effort put into his worldmap is hefty and the result looks great. The transitioning looks stunningly appealing and is overall the most impressive and unique. The shad_palace wallpaper is plain and simple without the inclusion of text or anything else. Overall, I give his worldmap wallpaper 5/5 and his shad_palace wallpaper 4/5.

2)Avacado: His first wallpaper is the most different one out of all of his. The display of the different maps in MS:C is a nice idea, but it could have been better in some ways, for example, the corner in the edana temple part of the collage bothers me only because of the right angle jutting out. Other than that, it looks great. As for the rest of his, they're all the same kind of idea, some of them doing a better job than the other, (Ex. The contrast of the outside and inside of phobia looks visually appealing and includes good detail). They are rather bland only in the sense that the split in the middle doesn't transition that well with all of his wallpapers; however, it does a nice job in E5. I'll pick the best out of wallpapers to make things simple, my choice being E5, 4.25/5.

3/4)Cal/Frank: To cut it short, both of their wallpapers seem too generic in my eyes. Cal's resembles some of the early MS:C wallpapers that were released a long time back, although the blurry editing doesn't fit all that well. Frank's wallpaper shows the different areas of MS:C but the captions and boxes ruin it imo; it makes the wallpaper seem like there wasn't that much effort put into it. The better out of both wallpapers is Caluminum's in my opinion so I give Cal: 3.5 and Frank 3.0.

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wow so much new shit out, i voted for jon his 2nd wallpaper is sweet. amazing job to all of you though, I think all the wallpapers are pretty amazing, I wish i was talented.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Looks like we need to do a panel of judges... wow.

I thought the MS:C community would have a lot less fuck ing assholes in it. Apparently there are way more than I thought.

Thanks for making this way harder than it was supposed to be...

Anyways, I like that diverse panel of judges. We'll go with that.

Gurluas
Trombone Man
zeus9860
Red Cell
Orochi
FER

If the judges can post in this thread, ranking the contestants on why they deserve a certain place (with a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best), I'll put your ruling on the OP.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: When all the voting from the judges are in. I'll tally up the total score for each contestant and that's how we will rank the places. The scale of 1-10 is dynamic, meaning you can vote with fractions too (i.e. 2.7 or 9.5). In the event of a tie, the judges will re-vote on the tied contestants until a decision can be made.

I apologize to the contestants for this change but it looks like we can't rely on the MS:C community to make a mature decision on this *supposed to be* fun contest.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Regardless of the bull, Red Cell, the contest is still fun for those of us with an outside perspective... ie, those of us not involved in the contest. The artwork was great, the amount of time and resources put in by both you and the contestants to make this happen, it shows a great amount of character on your part and talent by all parties involved. Think of it like an art show, or a sporting event... Sure, it's mostly hard work and stress for those who coordinate and participate in the event, but you're all putting on a great show for everyone who comes to watch. It's just a shame it's more like a sporting event than an art gallery in that some hooligans had to show up... but the show must go on! :)

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Red Cell said:
I thought the MS:C community would have a lot less **** ing assholes in it. Apparently there are way more than I thought.

This is where the mistake comes from :?
Never doubt the power of douchery.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
If you really want to know what i would do with the podium, here goes:

1st) Jon, both wallpapers are good, shad_palace one is pure win on this poll.
2nd) Echo, mostly because of his first wallpaper, it does have that nice feeling for a wallpaper, only negative aspect is the letters once again. Other entries are kinda terrible and probably rushed entries, so i'm going to ignore those...
3rd) Caluminium, both wallpapers are missing some improvements, they do look nice but it could have been better and it also feels like they were rushed a bit.
4th) Franky, i do like the concept of this image, but its missing alot more important stuff that could be displayed in it, and it doesn't give me that feeling that it isn't actually a wallpaper, but some elaborate way of pointing out stuff.

Classifications (1 to 5):
-Jon's shad_palace is worthy of a 5.
-Jon's "worldmap" is worthy almost as much as the previous one, i would say 4,5.
-Echo's first wallpaper is worth 4, other ones i would classify them with 2-2,5.
-Cal's both wallpapers are worth 3,5.
-Franky's wallpaper, it's almost on par with caluminium. So i would have to say a 3.

These are the things that come to mind if I were to use these wallpapers as my desktop background.

Classifications under the new scale:
-Jon's shad_palace is worth 10 (J2), the other one is worth 9 (J1);
-Echo's first wallpaper is worth 8.5 (E1), E2 = 5.3, E3 = 5, E4 = 5.2, E5 = 5.5, E6 = 5.1, E7 = 5.4;
-Franky's wallpaper is worth 6;
-Caluminium's C1 wallpaper is worth 7.5, C2 being 7.

So final ranking remains the same (based on the best entry only), which is:

1st) Jon (10)
2nd) Echo (8.5)
3rd) Caluminium (7.5)
4th) Franky (6)

edit: added classifications after each name.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Echo717: 7

The first one was kinda lame but the other wallpapers were good tough I was more impresses with the less obvious like halls of charthane but the aluhandra desert one was quite good too.

franky200: 6.5

I really didnt like it much, was kinda silly but I do like that small villager running away on the corner.

Jon50559: 8.5

First one was a really cool map like compilation, but doesnt feel polished.

Second one is lifeless but otherwise its an excellent panoramic view of an awesome map

Caluminium: 7.5

Cant say much, they are potentially good but still lacking. Second Wallpaper stands out.