New Adventurer
Reaction score
Troll.jpg

New HD troll \ Orc
Do you need this ?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Use this for the orc; the troll model is fine as is.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Animations would be the main thing. Could do something with it, one way or the other, although you would need to get the poly count to well under 2000 to work as a replacement orc. If it were a boss of some sort, we could go as high as 4k poly, though we may need to splice it into bits to get it to compile.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How many polygons does it have?

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
4k poly models compile fine, no nedd to split shit and such. Just look at all the HD mods outs there.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
That looks really good, how many polies is it? And what's the texture size? How long have you been modeling?
(end of interrogation)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
4k poly models compile fine, no nedd to split **** and such. Just look at all the HD mods outs there.
I've had issues with models with less poly's than that - usually converting Source models. You can only have so many vertexes in a single SMD before it spits it up. However, the splitting can be done on the SMD level, and has no effect on the model except to make the QC a bit screwy.

(For example: this model, only has ~4k poly, but has to be split in two to compile, for there are too many vertexes in the face.)

Performance-wise though, anything over 4k or so is going to be moider on the legacy and fail cards. Even 2K is pushing it, if we're talking orcs, for they tend to show up in groups of 10 or more - and only have ~900 poly now.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Holy shit that's awesome.

However, It doesn't remind me of an orc at all. I'd rather it not be used as a replacement for anything. It should simply be a different species of troll. I do think we could use another orc model, though. But it should keep with the spirit of the current model. Just, without looking like ass.

If you want i can make Armor + weapons + colored skins too
That would be fantastic. Also, a cyclops version of this model would be badass.

(For example: this model, only has ~4k poly, but has to be split in two to compile, for there are too many vertexes in the face.)
That is fucking awesome. Where did you find this?

Zombie_Source

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Texture - 512x512
Vertices - 9277
Triangles - 13998
And it's low-poly version. So do you need more low-poly ?
I will use the default animation. I am a bad animator :(
And what would you say if I took keeper's animation for my mod?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's not mine to give. I'm still waiting on permission for it myself. ;) The Eclipse mod lead said he'd give it up, but he wants to get the go ahead of the original modeler first, and hasn't contacted him yet (or at least, hasn't gotten back to me yet). The thing is very bad about staying inside it's bounding box, so I'm not sure if we can really use it anyways - lest we somehow stop the player from closing to melee with it (not an issue in the mod it was originally designed for, as you really wanted to avoid getting close).

As for the poly - it *sounds* like it's going to be too high, but I notice weird things happen to those numbers after compile depending on which way the triangles are flipped, so I canna be sure.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Try reducing the quakity on the hands and feet and see if that reduces the poly count a goood deal.

BTW so far the most troubles Ive gotten were not because high poly models but bad mapping and script/model load on long maps.

And seriously if you want a new monster couldn't you ask for one to be made here instead of leeching some dying mod? I mean, im not doing anything.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sowwy! :mrgreen: Sometimes the model inspires the monster, rather than visa versa... Like I said, it's purty, but I've no use for it.

If you wanna spend some effort tweaking the animations on that model to get the bulk of the creature to stay inside the bounding box better, on the other hand, we might be able to use it. (I think we can forgive the walk / run / toss / emote animations, but not the attacks.)

Granted, if you're *really* bored, you could cook us up some children or player model elves. ;)

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Sowwy! :mrgreen: Sometimes the model inspires the monster, rather than visa versa... Like I said, it's purty, but I've no use for it.

If nothing else, tweaked out enough with armor and stuff (as long as it doesn't get too high in poly) it could make a good mini-boss-in-a-can? Just have to put a note on it: "Some script assembly required."

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Yeah you're a phenomenal modeler.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Thothie said:

If nothing else, tweaked out enough with armor and stuff (as long as it doesn't get too high in poly) it could make a good mini-boss-in-a-can? Just have to put a note on it: "Some script assembly required."

That was in reference to The Keeper model, not Zombie_Source's model. The Keeper model lunges so wildly, that if you walked up to it, and hit it, and it hit back, it'd actually pass right through you and wind up several yards behind you afterwards. It doesn't stay in its bounding box, so it has a limited number of applications.

Whether or not this model does will depend on what animations he uses, but suffice to say, the current troll and orc anims are very good at staying in their bounding boxes.

This model I'm sure we can use one way or the other, if it gets animated, and we start seeing some sources in.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The Keeper model lunges so wildly, that if you walked up to it, and hit it, and it hit back, it'd actually pass right through you and wind up several yards behind you afterwards. It doesn't stay in its bounding box, so it has a limited number of applications.

Have you never seen a sword anime? 3:00