what the hell?

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Barely anybody plays now, so how do i beat maps that requiere more than 1 player like lodagond 4?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Get more computers, surround yourself, octopus.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Very tempted to do something evil... Like 150% XP for playing on FN - in any form... +50% XP per player behind the first, or some such. It'll fux with leveling no end though, but better than having everyone running off to play in pairs on VLAN's and such.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, you solo it, what else? xD

He has a point sort of, but there are times you can farm maps like that, just add more forge items that require farming that map, people will be playing it in no time...

Thothie said:
Very tempted to do something evil... Like 150% XP for playing on FN - in any form... +50% XP per player behind the first, or some such. It'll fux with leveling no end though, but better than having everyone running off to play in pairs on VLAN's and such.

Lol that doesnt sound evil tbh. Perhaps you could do that with some maps with unique loot? :wink:

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
A real solution would be to just stop making it mandatory for there to be 8+ people in a server in order to either complete a map or earn loot.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
A real solution would be to just stop making it mandatory for there to be 8+ people in a server in order to either complete a map or earn loot.

You can actually do the series solo if skilled enough, but the crystals are tough... yeah.

I think lootwise, solo playing should improve, like chance to get any drops, but smaller chances to get goodies and other random loot... More people, more loot, more chances to get goodies. As i am the type of person that enjoys staying away from people sometimes and do my stuff without having people free looting, feeding, leeching or interrupting my work.
The_wall is a good example as to the type of map i like (putting aside the annoying hacky stuff), it rewards better solo than in group and its challenging, keeps me busy, makes me not fall asleep while killing things :wink:

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I dont mind the actual drop chance, just having to waste more around 1 hour to beat a map solo, and more than 2 for a map series, only to have it crash near the end for prolonged playtime.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
BTW is it possible to make MSC work without the need to have Hlaf-Life, kinda like how Gunman Chronicles did back then?(that game had only the needed files to run the mod but not the game files)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Steam kinda kills that. Not that it would have been legal to do so, even in the Won days, without licensing the engine, as Gunman did at the time.

Xash would be the only hope in that regards, but I've not had any luck with it so far. It's built based on WON, so the chances of getting it working at all are slim - and it would require some tweaking, as some of the functions are built around Steam ID's. But if it'd just launch the damn thing, that'd be a start. Though there'd be no way to plug it into FN with no Steam ID system.

If we did get Xash to work, we'd have to replace all the Half-life core media we depend on to have it on the legal up and up, although most of that is audio and sprites.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Is there some way to make a clan exp bonus? playing with people from your group gives you more exp?

iunno though, I am currently too busy to do hardly anything on my own free time. Maybe we should have some Master Sword: Continued events, reasons to play at a particular time of the year? Not sure, but most of the free MMOs I have played have nice events to enjoy. :|

*Goes back to studying geographic economics... so boring*

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Not sure, but most of the free MMOs I have played have nice events to enjoy.

Technically MSC is not a free MMO which might explain the small amount of players, and dont say its only 10 dollars because you have no idea how many people would not pay for a game to play a mod, plus the players who do not have a credit card and add to that the players outside the US who need to have an international credit card instead, which may be a little troublesome to get one depending on which country you are located.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
(Repost post forum migration take deux...)

Well, back in the day, everyone and their cousin had Half-Life... True, even before Steam (may haps more so)...

These days, not so much so.

Desura's done this frustrating thing that they're only willing to let us host our mod there, and retain our distribution rights to it, if we make it stand alone...

I got a little further playing with Xash [strike]today[/strike yesterday (shouldn't really waste my time, but...). Using ye old Opposing Forces as a back build, I actually got it to load up MSC... Though I can't create a character, and it doesn't like our inventory UI much (causes the whole screen to run off - get as far as the inventory box shown in the weapon selection screen). Inability to create character maybe related to Steam ID system though... Be a lot of work to adapt it for Xash, no doubt.

I suppose to make it work with FN, we'd have to let you dump your Steam ID into a cvar, or something, then maybe stick some sort of password on your character...

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
One thing I think hurts the amount of people-playing-together that goes on, at least from my perspective, is that it seems, at least to me, that if you're not playing in a group of people that you've specifically organized to play together, there ends up being a real lack of teamwork, just competition.

In pick up groups, it seems like that unless everyone happens to get along particularly well, there's no real incentive to work together and help each other get through the map as smoothly as possible. Some people in the group die? Not only will you get more XP in the span that they're on their way back from spawn, but their hit to damage points (from both the death penalty and the fact that they're not damaging a thing while they're stuck out of combat walking back to the battle) should help you in the long run to get your hands on better loot (at least in some maps).

And to be honest, I really don't like that. In general if the server I'm in isn't populated solely by people I both know and are friendly with me, I don't feel very comfortable playing in any of the higher-end maps, and would feel much more comfortable playing solo, even if it means I'm minimizing my chances at success. And while I would like something to change, I can't think of a damned thing that could change while still keeping leechers from benefiting. I guess it cannot be helped.

Maybe one option could be to use the forums to schedule some sort of events? Everyone decide on something to do ahead of time, and set out to get it done as a group? Even if it's just something silly, it could be fun, and might spark some more life in game in general.