What the hell was that?...

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, so I decided to level my alt-bank character I mostly used to store potions to make him in to a Wizard, and I tried to make him "destruction" based only, i.e. no divination level up (for now). Today (around 30 minutes ago before I post this thread), I was leveling at nightmare_edana and spam blizzard and lightning storm, but once I leveled ice, it showed that I leveled divination as well!! :evil:

What the hell was that?? I didn't knew that bug (feature?) even exist, I didn't even had any divination\holy weapons to level divination in first case!! So what caused this phenomena, and can I get mah level 1 divination again somehow plz (without fuck up my char, of course).

Some of you may say I shouldn't get mad for leveling what I didn't wanted to level, but heck I wanted to be the first destruction only Wizard of MSC ever (plus, to be honest, I was always curious how HC would behave with 1 divination only).

So can anyone explain, what exactly happened?? I'm quite sure I do not even have any divination-leveling weapons with me, I couldn't possible level up divination with what I do have. Is it some well-known bug, or I'm the first one that discover such a paranormal phenomena??

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
iirc it's just some goofy bug that seems to randomly add a tiny amount of xp to another skill

but yeah i think that no one will help you with the whole divination thing, as it's kind of overreacting anyway... you might be able to rollback but you will lose whatever other progress you had :p

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble, there has been many players before you who focused magic and made it quite far as "wizards".

If you max out spellcasting, then u will likely be the highest wizard ever, but that's a futile achievement, to my eyes at least.

Also i think HC requires both 20 divination and spellcasting in order to be used, i could be wrong about the first bit though.

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
I hate to burst your bubble, there has been many players before you who focused magic and made it quite far as "wizards".

If you max out spellcasting, then u will likely be the highest wizard ever, but that's a futile achievement, to my eyes at least.

Also i think HC requires both 20 divination and spellcasting in order to be used, i could be wrong about the first bit though.

Well, like I said, I wanted to be the Wizard with destruction magic ONLY, means no divination. I was really, REALLY curious how would HC (and maybe also holy lance's third charge) behave if I would have 1 divination only. I don't think HC request 20 divination other than 20 SC though...

Bonus questions, how to reach Wizard title anyway??

Also one more question, is that true that I now can learn infinite tomes?? People keep saying that in this update, I have no limit on how much I can learn anymore.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yeah you can learn alot of spells, obviously there is a limit but we don't know what is the limit. Though you shouldn't be worried about said limit, it's probably way too far ahead for you to reach it by memorizing all spells in the game atm. Also if i were you, i would try to keep the count under 8, if possible. Too many memorized spells isn't a good thing, as you need to cycle through each one of them to get to a certain spell you want to use, so the more spells memorized = the longer the cycle when selecting a spell.

Wizard title, last i remember was spellcasting focused with parry or under level 5 title or something... There has been changes and i could be wrong. Titles are given based on your two highest skills, parry is not a skill anymore so your best bet is to get a title based on spellcasting + secondary highest skill.

Destruction magic only is even more futile than what i refered to (overall magic focus). If i'm not mistaking, HC heals 0.5 per level, if you manage to cast it with 20 SC and 1 divination, you will be healing 0.5 per tick, which again is useless to my eyes.
Try grinding all skills equally and keeping spellcasting 1 step ahead of other skills, so you get a title based in spellcasting. It's your best bet, trust me.

Focusing destruction magic will handicap you, you won't be able to progress so far in the game on your own.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PyroManiac said:
Well, like I said, I wanted to be the Wizard with destruction magic ONLY, means no divination.
...which has also been done... By every character that played from January 2005 to mid-way through 2006... As the only two spells you could level, were Fire Dart and Erratic Lightning - both of which were much weaker. P|Barnum being the historic first to get his spellcasting high enough to cast Blizzard that way (after a year and some grinding to max level) - only to discover it didn't do anything but make snow flakes (no damage nor cold proc).

PyroManiac said:
Bonus questions, how to reach Wizard title anyway??
Been inaccessible since we introduced Polearms - not that titles currently do anything, and haven't always been dern buggy.

zeus9860 said:
If i'm not mistaking, HC heals 0.5 per level, if you manage to cast it with 20 SC and 1 divination, you will be healing 0.5 per tick
This is correct - so now you know.

Memory corruption will occasionally result in a random skill getting a nudge.

But really, if you're going to try to complete Half-Life using nothing but a crowbar, don't complain when things start not working out well for ya.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
P|Barnum being the historic first to get his spellcasting high enough to cast Blizzard that way (after a year and some grinding to max level) - only to discover it didn't do anything but make snow flakes (no damage nor cold proc).
Your memory is much better then mine :). But I will never forget those long hours!

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
This is correct - so now you know.

So it's possible to learn HC while having divination 1?? Hmm, I wonder if server will crash if I will try to use HC with divination 0 :p (Since the bug that restore the class happens so often, it's possible to do). Also, really curious, how much Holy Lance would heal players around with divination 1 (or that divination 0).

too lazy to quote every signle sentence.
Also, there was one guy who managed to raise a new character and get him the Wizard title, how is that possible?? It was like 4-5 months ago from now, maybe more, but certainly in this 2013 sept. patch.

Oh, so just to let you know. I beat half-life on hard difficulty using crowbar (well... untill I found the almighy hivehand) only in 3 days without even getting a single hit. :D Wasn't any hard at all, since the crowbar does stun the enemies, and the only problem was marines with their hitscan crap, but since their AI is below average skeleton in MSC, it wasn't that hard to get ambush attacks, however quick save\load were in bound. However, I really fell in love with hivehand when I first discover it, not only it aimbots the enemies if you shot behind a corner (even though enemie's bugs are far more smarter and wise than were mine), but also regenerate ammo over time quite quick, so there was no reason to use crowbar anymore other than for ambush stun attacks. :p Oh, and I had to kill final boss with crowbar at the end, because those little tiny bugs won't harm his the only one weak spot for some reason (it did more dps than hivehand as well)... I never really used crappy gauss and all this cheesy stuff as well, except multiplayer of course.
So yep, hivehand was the best and most favourite weapon of mine of all time. :)
Yes, I hate so much the finite resources in general, I prefer to only keep using what I'm sure I won't get rid off, feels also lame to use shotgun or SMG while you already can just do sneaky crowbar kills. :|

Cokecola

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is it possible to get my character corrupted if I learnt too many spell tomes?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
SFAIK, that's not happened since MiB fixed the limit. I suspect we don't currently have enough spells to make it happen - though in the future, who knows.

Is a bit annoying to keep tapping 2 though - so I tend to only memorize a few myself.