Weird fonts appear on my screen, only happens with MS:C

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have a small LAN, 5 computers total, Master Sword runs great on all of them ecept for one... I took some screenshots of this strange issue, perhaps I should disable or enable something from the opengl commands, I dunno..? This doesn't happen with any other valve game on this computer, not even on Counter Condition Zero, Day of defeat 1.3 or Natural Selection 3.1 (the heavier most graphically demanding mods)

Anyway, screenshots available here: http://community.webshots.com/album/554807860wfprDs

I hope this problem can be solved, thanks in advanced...
[/img]

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is that windowed mode and 640X480 resolution?

Yes, sadly it is, but only because that is the only resolution where the fonts only take half of the screen, in 1200x900 and more the white fonts don't let you see anything...

Also try downloading the latest patches cause I noticed you haven't

Well, the las patch I instaled was the !msc_beta_pack_installer_October1st_2006.zip

I noticed some visual patches that improve weapon and human models and some map updates as well but I haven't instaled them yet because I thought the october patch contained then all, if you are talking about those I shall install them right away!

BTW, thanks for the quick feedback!

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It is really strange because when I die and the screen turns red, the white fonts dissapear, also when I go to the main menu (as showed in the second screeshot), that, and the fact that this issue does not happen with any other mod, makes me belive that it must be and OPENGL problem, and that it might be disabled by a console command or something...

But I might be wrong too...

Anyway, do I win the "weirdest problem of the week" award or what? :oldlol:

Iselore

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Could we have system specs? Are all of your computers in the LAN the same?

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Iselore said:
Could we have system specs? Are all of your computers in the LAN the same?

Actually they are all diferent, being the one with problems the oldest...

PC 1: PIV 3.2 ghz, 1 gig. RAM, geforce 6800, Asus p4p800 deluxe
PC 2: PIV 2.8 ghz, 1 gig. RAM, geforce 5200, Intel pv130 limited
PC 3: PIV 1.8 ghz, 512 mb RAM, ati Radeon 9200, Compag Presario
PC 4: IntelP DCore 1.6 ghz, 1 gig RAM Intel Grap. Acc. 128 mb Sony Vaio
PC 5: PIII 1.0 ghz, 256 mb RAM, Integrated SIS 630 Asus motherboard

Being the last computer the one with problems, but only running master sword, it runs Call of Duty, warcraft III and all the HL mods just fine.

The thing is that as I buy new computers I retain the olders and use them for LAN parties.

PC 1 is 1 and a half years old, came with WIN XP PRO SP 2
PC 2 is 3 years old, came with WIN XP HOME
PC 3 is 5 years old, came with WIN 2000
PC 4 is 2 years old (and it is a notebook as you can see) WIN XP PRO
PC 5 is 7 years old, came with WIN 98

Now all computers have WIN XP PRO SP 2

We mainly have lan parties of: DOTA warcraft III, Call of Duty 1 and 2, CS:source, HL2 deathmatch, Neverwinter nights, Need 4 speed Underground, Natural Selection, we used to play Diablo II and Stracraft too, a couple years ago, and we still do sometimes, this weekend we are going to try Defcon 2 vs 2 and we also wanted to try Master Sword! Also we are going to try a new freeware game called TREMULOUS, it is made on an open source version of the QUAKE 3 engine, and it is quite good, shares the same characteristics of Natural Selection thou...

PS: I remember playing MASTER SWORD 3 years ago, it was really buggy and I always ended up loosing all my items and stuff, but now It is really good and great fun, so good job masters!

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Why is your main screen in spanish? The second screenshot.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I noticed some visual patches that improve weapon and human models and some map updates as well but I haven't instaled them yet because I thought the october patch contained then all, if you are talking about those I shall install them right away!

All the patches you need (should) be in the October patch...

The game only runs in opengl, it will not run in software mode.

Me suspect tis the fault of a dated graphics card and MSC being more finicky than most mods due to the funky way it handles fonts, best you can try is updating the graphics card/drivers. (Guessing the Integrated SIS 630)

Do you get this problem in all resolutions? I run windowed mode, but at 960x600 widescreen mode.

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
Why is your main screen in spanish? The second screenshot.

Well, I just feel that the regular english windows XP and GoldSource engine are just too boring...
Not really, I am a Spanish Native Speaker, actually that is spoken by 1/5 of the world, after english and mandarin.

Thothie said:
Do you get this problem in all resolutions? I run windowed mode, but at 960x600 widescreen mode.

I get this with all the resolutions, and you are right about the GPU, it is just too old, needs to be upgraded... I guess I'll just keep that computer for older games, finding a pci video card that works with that old motherboard might be very difficult... at least here...

Thank you all for your help

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
valmont said:
Also try downloading the latest patches cause I noticed you haven't

Well, the las patch I instaled was the !msc_beta_pack_installer_October1st_2006.zip

oldmsc.jpg
It kinda looks like you didn't :wink: It looks like you've got an old client.dll :roll:

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It kinda looks like you didn't It looks like you've got an old client.dll

I did replace the files with the ones from the patch but I'll do it again!!

So how does the HP and Mana flasks look with the new client.dll?, just so I know I installed it right!

PS: Just a little bit offtopic, but I heard that Windows vista wont support Opengl, only Direct 3d... is that true? If so, people wont be able to play MS:C on the new os?

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, I installed the patch right this time, didn't fix the fonts problem thou... anyway it is just an old VGA card anyway...

I had another issue, sometimes when there are many npcs, like in the tavern in edana, when you talk to one npc you are answered by the other one across the room, like when I go right infront of the guy who lost the book, and ask him about his "BOOK", I get an answer from the keeper instead of him... Is that a known Issue or is it just me having that problem?

Also, has anyone suggested a journal feature for keeping a list of "quests to do", because I keep forgeting about the quests I am given... also I found a piece of paper in the edana sewers, it reveals the last 3 letters of a name or word, but nothing more, I don't know what to do with it, It would be nice if there could be something like a wise old man in every town who can give you clues about the things you find or about your quests... otherwise It is pretty hard to know what to do (with quests and items)

So for example, if you got the mayor's quest, it will show "mayor's betrayal" on your journal, and if you go and ask about "mayor's betrayal" to the old man, he will say something like: the mayor is more cleaver than you think, you should not try to fool him, instead persuade someone he trusts, someone near him, to give you what you are searching for... something like that... maybe in a more enigmatic way...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The NPC's in the Edana bar might be so close together that their hearing ranges overlap. In some cases you can avoid this with the NPC interaction menu (default F11).

There is a 'hearingsensitivity' attribute in the scripts, but I think it only applies to how likely monsters are to 'hear' you walking near them, and not the range at which NPC's respond to text.

Various NPC's have various hints for various quests... Although we don't have a journal system... Can't think of a way to implement one, off hand, but if anyone has idears, run them by me.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
There is a 'hearingsensitivity' attribute in the scripts, but I think it only applies to how likely monsters are to 'hear' you walking near them, and not the range at which NPC's respond to text.

I'd say to decrease their hearing range simply go into the ms.dll and decrease the range of "say" (Is it "say"? Default button is "u"). That way players won't talk in a long range. And the NPC's wouldn't hear them at long range. I prefer the "menu interact" though. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...and in some strange alternate world where things were as simple as they should be, that would work. ;)

valmont

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Actually I DID try the F11 menu, but only "Hail" appears, nothing about his book or something that will trigger the quest... When you get the book a "return book" option appears in the f11 menu, but I remember that in the old ms version he actually tells a story of how he also was an adventurer but lost his book in some caves and then he asks you to get his book back... Anyway it is just a little quest...