Updating the RKS servers to Steam Pipe

Update the RKS servers to Steam Pipe and release the double click patch

• Yes, I can play with the current version of Half-Life, even if it requires some tweaking, so I'll be

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No, I cannot play with the current version of Half-Life, I have to use the rolled back version.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I can't play at all. :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I was planning to put this post up last week, but I got two, "He's fallen and I can't get him up" calls from two separate places (and I just got a third, so maybe now's not the best time either), but I have a bit before I gotta go, and tis long overdue, so...

Thing is, we want to update the RKS servers so they show up in the Steam server browser, and make sure everyone's on the same page, so far as what version of Half-Life they are using is concerned, which will help us in fixing/working around the various issues that have cropped up.

Problem is, folks with rolled back versions of Half-Life may not be able to connect to updated RKS servers.

So I'm setting this poll up in hopes of getting a sampling of just how many folks are being forced to use older versions of Half-Life in order to play at all.

If the modified Client.dll double click fix is doing the job for ye, in windowed mode, and you can tolerate playing in windowed mode, I'd suggest you vote "Yes". I'm unclear as to how many folks have been sated by this solution, but updating would make it easier for newer clients to play MSC on-line. I am also aware there are a lucky few who have no problems at all.

It'd just be a minor patch, with the double click fix and an update of the RKS IP's in the readme. Most of the winning contest maps are still hijacked, and the remainder are WIP or have yet to be fully populated. A few other minor fixes and updates to the exploit reporter's club will appear, at least for those who reported stuff we've managed to address.

...and yes, we're still researching Greenlight options, but I'm uncertain if we can get an older version and the engine Source as CoF managed to pull, and it'll still entail spending a $100 with no guarantees.

(This poll is setup so you can modify your vote if need be, should your circumstances change.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The separate dll u released works for me, so i went with "yes". Now all i need is to find a fix for the "dusk" time option...

I might go do some more testing later and see what's up.

rhys8866

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The way it seems for me at the moment personally, the only thing that isn't working is the double-clicking. So this fix would be just what I needed to play again without having the hastle. I also agree that it might be these problems that are throwing off new players, I imagine there would have been a few recently, but I can't know for sure. I'm looking forward to this. :)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Do you remember that bit of childhood trauma you had, when you walked in on your parents naked all those years ago?

Have you moved out, confident that'd be the last time you'd never again experience anything so horrifying?

Well, wait until they're 90 something, and you have to help them go to the bathroom! :oldshock:

*sigh* Yeah, suffice to say, I would have acted on this update by now, but I'm busy reliving childhood trauma. I suspect I'll be doing it in stereo or surround soon, if we don't just send someone's folks to a home. Seems to have worked for the previous generation. I'm gonna be an RN if this keeps up - not that I'm entirely looking forward to it ending, as I know there's likely only one way this can end. :\

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
We all reach that point sooner or later, when it comes to me (taking care of my parents), i can always ask one of my 2 brothers to share the work. If i end up doing everything on my own, i'll be like "time to lock them up in a daycare" even though i know those places are evil for old people, and they usually deslike being left there.

And when i get old, if i end up like that aswell, i'll just lock myself in a daycare, don't want anyone from the family to clean my ass for me. Might aswell request a cute young chick to do it and smile at her face while she's doing her job, ah! I know it's sick, but at least i would have a good laugh, and... probably an heart attack. :roll:

miko2386

New Adventurer
Reaction score
the cl_dlls didn't fix double click on equipment to remove
other works fine i think

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Click on the Remove button at the bottom right.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Any news on the greenlight option?

Like, if it's possible to make the game go standalone like CoF, even if it's just this portion of the game, it would be worth it... plus it could bring in new people with potential to lead the mod even further ahead with ease. That would be a good thing, i guess.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kinda had my finger hovering over that button for awhile now. Still can't seem to get a clear answer as to the details of the procedure, but I think it's going to require shoveling out a $100 for a *maybe*. I'm debating whether to gather together a list of non-permissioned media that needs replacing.

I also have some good news / bad news thing I was considering making another thread for, but maybe not... I've not had much time for MSC lately, largely due to my dad being in his final throws, but still not being so unmanageable as to be sent away... Well... That's over now... He passed, fairly peacefully, a few days ago. This doesn't free me up immediately, as while I'm home for the first time in awhile, I'll still need to check in on mum regularly for at least a few weeks, as she's never been on her own before. I still have Lady X's dad to deal with, and jail girl's parents, but they aren't nearly as close to full time occupations. So maybe, in a week or two, I'll actually have time to work on this project again. Hopefully get this mini-patch out soon, not that I want to get folk's hopes up.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Stay sane over there

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:

^This.

Should take a vacation or something, if things end up being stressfull and too tight to handle, working on the mod instead of laying down is like a suicide mission, so i guess the best thing to do is take a break and go have some fun in a way or another.

rhys8866

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
The Man In Black said:

^This.

Should take a vacation or something, if things end up being stressfull and too tight to handle, working on the mod instead of laying down is like a suicide mission, so i guess the best thing to do is take a break and go have some fun in a way or another.

^ All of this.

I'm sorry to hear about that Thothie. Though Zeus is right man. You should go find something to help unwind. I'm sure I speak the truth when I say we're a patient bunch. That patch will come when you're ready with it, your own well-being on the other hand...Find solace where it is needed. Eat some Parma Violets and feel better. :)

74.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks, but this has really been one long vacation from MSC already. I've tried to get some stuff done edgewise, but it's not as if someone is going to get stuff done in my stead, and at the moment, I'm finding it far too easy to blame certain other folks for MSC's lack of progress - even though, if they did come through, it'd just mean even more stuff on my plate.

I'm more worried about my mum at the moment. Not that I've always dealt with death well, historically speaking, but when my ex committed suicide back in 98, well, suffice to say that particular romantic tragedy left me pretty numb to all other emotional events. I spent a few years earlier this decade baby sitting my dying grandfather (during which, I seemed to get more done for MSC, oddly enough, though maybe he wasn't quite as high maintenance as dad was in the end). This battle with cancer has been going on for years, so we've all certainly been more than braced for it. Dad went well beyond the doctor's designated warranty, and went peacefully and relatively painlessly, never losing his mind or such, and with no real complaints beyond frustration at his increasing immobility.

I do wish I could go on a little vacay somewhere, but my semi-significant other is tied down by her own father's problems, and I couldn't really go without her. One of my ex's is re-opening her club, and expo is coming up, so maybe we can do a few one or two night things in the local area.

Granted, it'll still be a week or two before I can really get into gear again, since I'm still making sure mum is alright on her own, and, more to topic, I'm still not sure what path to take on this whole Greenlight thing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ZunWasOkayGuy said:
emotions are for casuals

*sniff* I know man! *sob* I know! :oldcry:

crying-spock.png

Meh... Think I'm gonna go work on that ice mage some more...

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm still not sure what path to take on this whole Greenlight thing.

Depends. Are you interested to see if you can get some money out of it, given that it gets greenlit?

IMO dont put any money yourself, just not worth. Ask for donations at most on some popular game sites like moddb (under a new game page, no the one msc already has), steam forums or something like that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
Depends. Are you interested to see if you can get some money out of it, given that it gets greenlit?
Nah, MSC will always be free... I mean, we'll take donations to cover basic costs, once in while (and I think a few of us are going to pool on this $100), but I've no intention of taking a game built on a 1998 engine, and making it retail. It's not a profit venture, and has already had much more than that sunk into it, cash wise... Time wise, I think it's had a few hundred thousand spent on it with no financial return expected. ;) It is a good training ground for artists and coders who do intend to eventually work retail though, so even from a monetary perspective, it's not a total waste, I suppose - but first and foremost, it's a hobby.

MSS maybe another thing, but it'd have to be really spectacular, IMO. The engine, certainly, is capable of making a retail quality game, I just don't know what kinda artists, or even game, we're gonna get in the long run.

It will suck, however, if we sink that $100 in, and they poo-poo on us. :\

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Could just keep the game free and resort to buying cosmetical crap like hats with real money, or pay2win methods for the impatient.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In case ye've already forgotten, we did that: ;)
msc_donator_halo.jpg

Well, donator hats, at least - no affect on game play, of course - I do rather frown on pay2win.

Granted, if we do run into the need for cash again, beyond this latest Benjamin Franklin, we're going to have to work something out, as I dun think Lord K is taking donations at that PayPal account anymore (already turned away two donators). I do hate PayPal though... ...Maybe we can do bitcoin... I do luv me mah bitcoins. :twisted: