Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oyster's asleep - have at it:

http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/underpa ... sponly.rar

- Should work okay under current patch (hoping to a little early release without a full patch - *maybe* tonight.)
- Yes, the cave ogres and whelps are way too high on the XP.
- You must kill a certain number of ogre whelps and/or goblin warbosses to get the two related bosses to spawn.
- Both whelps/warboss encounters respawn periodically (though whelps only so many times - you'll have to explore to find enough).
- "Ogre Queen" is difficult to find - once spawned, she'll rumble and roar periodically to help you track her down.

Self adjusting, maybe 25-40.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: Someone test this for me....

Maybe tomorrow... Probably... Running things through Oyster now to figure what I gotta de-butcher. ;)

Think he didn't like my solution of hunting down babies for progression, and rather than scatter chests to encourage exploration as per the norm. (Shame, I love chasing those chubby little bastages.)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Would this be like extra xp holiday? Or more of a extra xp on the new map?

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Maybe tomorrow... Probably... Running things through Oyster now to figure what I gotta de-butcher. ;)

Think he didn't like my solution of hunting down babies for progression, and rather than scatter chests to encourage exploration as per the norm. (Shame, I love chasing those chubby little bastages.)
There's no logical reason not to put it out today. The original idea oyster had -was- to HUNT DOWN THE BABIES for progression. You guys have shitty communication. Please get it out today.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Nah, he's made it clear he wants you to be able to camp the babies in one spot, rather than have to hunt for them.

And the logical reason would be that I'm not home... And this VNC ap is screwy... Not gonna be home until late tomorrow... For I've had it explained to me at length that, apparently, Halloween is apparently the day of "my people", or something, and not participating in related events tied to friend's goth-shop anniversary may result in the sudden loss of my balls, or something. >_>

Well, that, and I gotta re-do the map as Oyster has suggested, for it is his show, I just had to adapt/optimize it to make it work safely sans a patch - that'll take me some time.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Nah, he's made it clear he wants you to be able to camp the babies in one spot, rather than have to hunt for them.

And the logical reason would be that I'm not home... And this VNC ap is screwy... Not gonna be home until late tomorrow... For I've had it explained to me at length that, apparently, Halloween is apparently the day of "my people", or something, and not participating in related events tied to friend's goth-shop anniversary may result in the loss of my balls, or something. >_>
It's called priority. He made the map, listen to his input. Make compromises without ruining his map. Listen to what he says, not what you think he says. Think about us. We've been working our ass off for two weeks now trying to get it to a point you'd even -consider- releasing, and only 1 of the 3 are even possible.We understand you're working hard too, that's why this deserves more so to get released. You could have easily released a full patch with the maps as is, at your OWN link without RKS to host the patch.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Lucifer said:
Listen to what he says, not what you think he says.
Umm... Lucifer, how does that even work? I'm fairly certain, after just having gone back and forth fifty paragraphs with him, that's what he's saying.

And the map wouldn't work without a patch as it was, hence the whole eight-hour conversion therapy last night. Plus I wouldn't let it run on RKS as it was, nor would had Oyster even wanted it released as it was, requesting specific fixes, addition of loot, etc.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

He never once said he wanted loot. You wouldn't have misunderstood if you listened to what he said. Stop speaking in paragraphs then and speak plainly. "I want.' "Okay, I'll do this then." "I don't approve of that." "Okay then how about this?" It's really not difficult.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

No... He specifically asked me to pick out chests to use for loot... Which I did. They are there. You may have noticed. ...and now he's given me another map source for the specific purpose of placing other chests. ...a lot of chests in fact, which he wants dished out via randomly selecting multi_manager, that he quoted me the design there of.

...And what you describe is exactly what we've been doing...

...What imaginary conversation have you been following?

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

With the amount of boo-hick and stress and "That's not what I want" I have been receiving I would assume there's some miscommunication, especially considering the fact I have to go on here and try to be interpreter. I think it's a lack of context between us three, and since oyster won't speak for himself... I probably do a poor job of representing everyone. You guys need to talk to eachother -live-. With context.

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score

Why even bother discussing the exact release date? If it could had been released kinda today, makes it even better to know it will get released pretty soon. Even after that year of waiting for a new Patch we finally know that its just a few hours away. I don't think Tothie wants to have another "EXP Farm"-Glitch like back in the days, so it is pretty reasonable to go through all of this properly instead of rushing, not to mention that those extra exp are not neccessary as it is pretty good right now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Lucifer Majiskus said:
With the amount of boo-hick and stress and "That's not what I want" I have been receiving I would assume there's some miscommunication, especially considering the fact I have to go on here and try to be interpreter. I think it's a lack of context between us three, and since oyster won't speak for himself... I probably do a poor job of representing everyone. You guys need to talk to eachother -live-. With context.
He's representing himself and expressing his desires just fine without you, near as I can tell... Certainly more coherently than you're representing yourself at the moment. ;) I mean I can post the whole conversation log if you like, with his permission, but it gets into a lot of boring stuff, like how to deal with various technical and game limitations we came across.

Near as I can tell, there's only one solution I applied (out of several dozen) that we've had any real disagreement on, and I'm going to undo said change, when next I have access to Hammer at more than 2FPS. It's his map and I'd rather make sure it's as close as I can get to what he wants it to be.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

Then I guess I'm misunderstanding him. Or what he tells me is before he constructs a response to you, so I'm getting everything at face value. Sorry for opening my big dumb mouth. :roll: At least people are showing interest though.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Lucifer Majiskus said:
Then I guess I'm misunderstanding him. Or what he tells me is before he constructs a response to you, so I'm getting everything at face value. Sorry for opening my big dumb mouth. :roll: At least people are showing interest though.

Just let the grown ups discuss things by themselves peacefully and quit interrupting them. :p

Though i'm impressed you know yourself pretty well, A++ claim.

See ya! :mrgreen:

Hush 2.0

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

The map works fine for me. Well, as far as my LAN char could handle it.

The only two"problems" i encountered were the relativly high attack range of the small stone spiders (II), (but thats not an issue on the maps side) and that is easily possible to outmaneuver the goblin chief at the riverside, especially when he is stuck at the "gateside".

But i dont know how this issues occur when the map is played on a higher difficulty than level II.

I am looking forward to see whats behind the golden veil in the next few days. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Yeah, it's a scaled down giant stone spider - so bound to happen. Might make actual smaller stone/metal spider scripts to fix that next patch (also I noticed the buggers don't use stone sounds when struck - meh, I really I need to work up a material system.)

As for the chief... As long as the hobgoblin chief manages to follow you, I dun mind that exploit, but if he gets stuck on one side - we may have to work a way for the gobbies to jump across the river using the center ladders and debris the way the players can...

I suppose I could do some creative monster clipping to "simulate" them jumping across that debris. Dunno if forcing an actual jump via mscnpc_script would be reliable.

It was originally a blood (fire) chief - swapped him out with the vile chief in hopes his guided skulls could reach you from across the river, but no such luck - seems they get stopped by the clip as well (plus he doesn't target from that far away). Only saving grace is that, if he drops a dewm plant, you'll have to go to the other side to kill it before it grows - but even that I dun think he'll do unless you're close.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Yeah, it's a scaled down giant stone spider - so bound to happen. Might make actual smaller stone/metal spider scripts to fix that next patch (also I noticed the buggers don't use stone sounds when struck - meh, I really I need to work up a material system.)

As for the chief... As long as the hobgoblin chief manages to follow you, I dun mind that exploit, but if he gets stuck on one side - we may have to work a way for the gobbies to jump across the river using the center ladders and debris the way the players can...

I suppose I could do some creative monster clipping to "simulate" them jumping across that debris. Dunno if forcing an actual jump via mscnpc_script would be reliable.

It was originally a blood (fire) chief - swapped him out with the vile chief in hopes his guided skulls could reach you from across the river, but no such luck - seems they get stopped by the clip as well (plus he doesn't target from that far away). Only saving grace is that, if he drops a dewm plant, you'll have to go to the other side to kill it before it grows - but even that I dun think he'll do unless you're close.
Is it possible to do a toggle_wall for the other side of the river, have it hang out so it covers the ladder, to prevent players from climbing it, so players just cant run over on that side. Probably make it an invisible wall. Then, it will disappear when the goblin dies.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I think Oyster wants the bit where you try to go the door and an NPC on the other side says "F*ck you, kill goblin" intact - if I prevent traveling to that side of the river until he's dead, that'll nix that. (Plus would need a visible indicator, though breakables or a gate that swings open would work fine, I suppose.)

Making an actual bridge in the middle, instead of a jumping path, might be another option. Maybe some better archers that spawn more frequently too.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I think Oyster wants the bit where you try to go the door and an NPC on the other side says "F*ck you, kill goblin" intact - if I prevent traveling to that side of the river until he's dead, that'll nix that. (Plus would need a visible indicator, though breakables or a gate that swings open would work fine, I suppose.)

Making an actual bridge in the middle, instead of a jumping path, might be another option. Maybe some better archers that spawn more frequently too.
More archers would do fine. Especially poison ones, making it harder for you to snipe him as you stumble back and forth.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Will do, plus bridge - maybe speed up the boss, and toss a croc in the moat. I'd do the jumping thing, but it'd take awhile, and I'm not sure if it'd come out looking good.

Dunno how many of you found the queen, but seems we need to re-work that encounter some, that'll eat a bit of time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Also, fair warning, this map is a LOT harder than this initial test run indicates... Seems I missed a bunch of self adjuster tags (Oyster beat me soundly for this). Probably gonna have to rethink the treasure layout some... (Although there's also a bunch more scattered throughout the map now.)