This Happened:

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The applied textures to the mesh appear normal while in Milkshape, but when I compile it to see it in-game this happens:

edana0001.png

Take note of the stretched texture.

I think I have encountered this problem before when I was working on the Earth Breaker. Alas, I do not remember how to fix this.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
What were you trying to do?

Reskin or work on the model?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Texture smaller than surface area. Half-life no leik dis. Half-life doesn't tile.

Other possibility is that the faces are not evenly distributed along the texture, which is harder to fix... Remap and pray.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Remapped it. That appears to have fixed it. It's a shame really, it doesn't look nearly as pretty now :|

EDIT: What are the maximum dimensions that Half-Life allows for textures? 300x300 seems to work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
512x512 is the most the compiler will handle. Dunno if it's possible to tweak it to handle larger ones.

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
although most if not all newer cards released in the past 6-7 years by nvidia and ati support at least 2048x2048 resolution textures in opengl, hl's max is 512x512, for both model textures and map textures.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, you can go 1024x1024, and, in some cases, 4096x4096 with map textures, however, the wpoly will break up in unpredictable ways, and sometimes you get lighting anomalies as hlrad goes "wtf?"

It isn't a bad idea, if you have a single large high-res mural or something you wanna put up though. Just don't use it for rocky cliffs and the like.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
And a note for mappers: Lightmaps are directly scaled with texture resolutions: so all those HD half-life mods almost always have a bit better looking lighting, and that's because most of their textures are scaled to .5, which means twice the shadow resolution.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Check the model on the model viewer and on the textures tab you'll see the texture is rezised because of some rule about width and height.

If you resize the texture with the same parameters show in the model viewer it wont stretch.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The applied textures to the mesh appear normal while in Milkshape, but when I compile it to see it in-game this happens:

Bad texture size

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
While this doesn't seem to be the case here, I often see bad "stretchies" on various models as a result of bad UV mapping. It's particularly prevalent on the orc. I don't think there's much that can be done about it in most cases, especially without a deformed texture to properly stretch a UV map over.

When you draw a sphere in Milkshape, it automagically UV maps it in what seems a perfect fashion.

sphere_tile_tcord.jpg

But the end result is anything but:

sphere_tile_hlmv.jpg

If you use the texture coordinate tool to remap it, the UV map looks like it's going to fail miserably, with really bad face coverage around the edges:

sphere_remap_tcord.jpg

But the end result looks much better...

sphere_tile_front_hlmv.jpg

Or at least it does, from one side... :\

sphere_remap_hlmv.jpg

Half-life doesn't support tiled textures, so I've really no idea what to do about this sort of stupidity. :/

I suppose, without texture tiling, you gotta do something insane, like this:
CahillFuller.png

*shrug*

There are tools for this, but I've yet to find a good free one - and there's still the matter of getting the flattened texture for use with the pancaked UV.