The Oculus [WIP]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Domes eat so many leaves and clipnodes, you'd likely be better off using a model in a square room... I think I have something around here though... Can't garuntee it'll be the right size, nor how scalable though.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Domes eat so many leaves and clipnodes, you'd likely be better off using a model in a square room... I think I have something around here though... Can't garuntee it'll be the right size, nor how scalable though.
dome.gif
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/sewer_ride_dome.rar

Lost the original prefab I made in the Great Crash of '09, but here's the resulting dome... I think you can double its size safely. Not sure about halving it though. Rotating is certainly out. There's a door on one side ye might have to rebuild if you want to seal it. :\ Suggest copying bits from the opposite end of the dome if ye need to do that. It's all nulled properly though - kinda important with something this complicated. Doesn't leak, as is, but will add a sh*tload to compile time.

I might have a model based dome you can use, but not sure... Likely they aren't all that hard to make. Just a matter of slapping the appropriate texture onto it.

In my efforts to compile shad_palace (finally did it a few days ago) I found you might have better luck compiling complex maps using shapes like these if you use HLFix to translate the RMF to MAP instead of Hammer's standard export. I think it's included with Nem's Compiler.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Tyvm ^_^ though now I can't remember what I wanted it for lol
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
msc4final.png

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, if you wanna make a few domes of different sizes with the biggest texture you can possibly slap onto them, they'd work as a useful prefabs for mappers. Map made domes tend to be hella complicated things.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Ended up using it for a ceiling. Stuffs comin along nicely :D
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
msc5final.png

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Never had the source for ww1. All the mods are ripent jobs. You lost it in an HDD crash IIRC.

I shall PM you the current WW3d source... However, I think all the monster spawns in it are point entities, thus had to be added seperately... I think I can edit it to use the new ms_monsterspawn point entities, but it'll take me a bit of time.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Hmm alright.

Oh and ww2b, forgot that one had some fixing as well.

Thothie said:
However, I think all the monster spawns in it are point entities, thus had to be added seperately... I think I can edit it to use the new ms_monsterspawn point entities, but it'll take me a bit of time.

Huh? Why would you need to change it?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Cuz if you try to load a map with msarea_monsterspawn's as point entities in Hammer, it deletes them all, due to the FGD mismatch.

Although, if you just need brushes, as I suspect, I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal. You'd have a ton of "empty solid" errors though, and they may or may not copy into whatever map you paste into.

Same issue with WW2b IIRC. When you made these, it was back in MS1.35, when we didn't have a proper FGD, so you could get away with using msarea_monsterspawn as either a point or brush, since Hammer had no idea what to do with it.

* Might need to wait until tomorrow to get these to you, local interference here. Low-flying space craft, and the like. >_>

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Also, I'm trying to get this env_shooter to shoot spark sprites out all at the same time instead of one right after the other. Even though delay between shots is set to zero, is still shoots em out like a machine gun stead of like an explosion: all of them at once.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PM'd ya your map sources. Updated to be friendly with the newest FGD's.

env_shooters are very resource intensive and can be screwey. They act differently in multi-player than they do on listenservers, as all the ents are tracked serverside and tracked seperately by each client. I might be able to work up a more resource friendly script that'll do what ya want, depending on what exactly that is. I think what ya need to do to make the env_shooter work, however, is a multi-threaded multi_manager, and to shoot one at a time.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
PM'd ya your map sources. Updated to be friendly with the newest FGD's.

yay! <3

Thothie said:
env_shooters are very resource intensive and can be screwey. They act differently in multi-player than they do on listenservers, as all the ents are tracked serverside and tracked seperately by each client. I might be able to work up a more resource friendly script that'll do what ya want, depending on what exactly that is. I think what ya need to do to make the env_shooter work, however, is a multi-threaded multi_manager, and to shoot one at a time.

They work the way I want them to in your guild crest obtaining map. Ya know, the one with the trippy lamp and all, though now I can't seem to find it. In the room you spawn in you have some rotating stuff and what im rpetty sure are env shooters that shoot out a bunch of sparks. I suppose if I really want to make it work, I can just have a bunch of them all in the same place, all with the same name, that only shoot one spark each, but that would be a lot more entities then I was hoping I'd need for this.

EDIT: Actually, I decided I like it the way it is lol.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think yer thinking of the gateway map the guildmaster section was borrowed from - and it *doesn't* work the way I'd like it to. On a listenserver they all come gliding down nice and fluffy and bounce along, but on a DS or with other players they lag and go staggering all over or just suddenly appear on the ground. :/

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
It makes me very very sad to think that this awsome effect I've spent practically an entire day making won't look the same on the public servers :<

ah well, I guess its just the sparks.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ye send me a map source with the area in question, I can try to replicate the effect via a client event that won't have the same issue. I can also rig it so it's only active when players are in range. It also won't track individual sprites server side, so it'll eat a lot less in the way of resources, and be more consistent between modes.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
info_textlights allows you to add custom lights.rad settings to your maps. You have to treat it like a multi_manager or msarea_music, and add the texture entries manually, outside of Smart Edit.

eg. property: "MS_LAVA01" with data "245 41 6 150"

Doesn't work with all versions of ZHLT, but should work with 3.4, SFAIK.

And there's no way to toggle an msarea_transition... Best you could do is seal it off with something - either inside a crystal, rock, or null brush.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
That looks fuckng sexy! Please finish this Crow! We need more maps from the mapping gods!
Also maybe more pictars? :3

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Pretty tasty there!

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I hate making caves ><

Also, isn't there some way to have some entity or set of entities that triggers a random choice of things?

As an example, having a bunch of different scary ambient sounds be triggered randomly?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Add "random 1" to multi_manager to trigger one of its events randomly each time it is fired, rather than firing them in timed order. May still need multi-threaded flag to fire same one repeatedly.

mstrig_relay / trigger_relay also takes random ("Fire Chance (%)") property.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Crow! Your maps are so beautiful ><

I don't use that word often. I hope one day I can map like you :eek:

I have a weapon idea though. Because parry is being removed, people might actually pick up shields, so having more variety might be a good thing, but I'd love to see an accurate axe myself. I'm not a huge fan of the GTA or UGA that pretends to be about 50% miss, but I happen to miss 9-10 times in a row all the time.