The FX engine

Which engine do you want MSC to be on?

• 1.Half-life FX engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.Spirit of Half-Life engine

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 3.Goldsrc....(BY choosing this option you are a wet blanket!)

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Now let me start off by saying MSS I know for a fact wont come out for a long time now. Doesn't mean we cant upgrade MSC right now to the Half-Life :FX engine...thats right you heard me, Half-Life FX engine (http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-fx-single) It's the closest thing youl ever get to Half-Life 2 quality on the modified Half-Life 1 engine. Here are some of the features,
- Static diffuse and specular (PS2.0 only) bump-mapping
- Dynamic bump-mapping (PS2.0 only) for flashlight
- Parallax mapping (PS2.0 only)
- Shader script system (a la Quake3)
- Water with reflections and refractions
- Projective soft shadows
- Volumetric fog
- Mirrors
- Projective flashlight
- Hi-resolution decals
- Detail textures
- Post-process effects, motion blur, light bloom
- Lens flare, heat haze
- Particle systems
- Anisotropic texture filtering
- And even more...
heres a vid of the FX engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwF0jji_WY

Tooken right from the ModDB page so don't sue me :wink: Those could be pretty awseome. I honestly don't know if this engine can handle larger maps or higher entitys in maps but I do know it will be a good graphical improvement for MSC. yet it does state you need Pixel Shader 2.0 support to play it i'm sure you could google it and download it. I would love to see MSC on the FX engine, the best thing is It does use .mdl files so you wouldn't have to redo everything

And for Spirit of half-life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fTzx5e6Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-OCaQtPsZw

OVer all I would like to see the Spirit engine on MSC, there a lot of more features than FX that would fit MSC PERFECTLY! Even has simple physics! This might cause lag for servers but mapper would need to learn only add physics objects when needed. And it has a 3D skybox cababilitys! This would go perfect for the world of...isnt it Leann? Yeah im sure it's Leann.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well yeah, I would like to see that a little more than that but both has there ups and downs...But there isnt that many cool features in SoHL than in FX. Theres 3D skybox in Spirit, that would be a feature perfect for MSC. Then theres reflections in Spirit, same in FX. Over all I might want to see FX just a little more. And oh yes, what exactly is Parallax mapping?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I noticed there's two demos available of mods being made on this HLFX engine. I'll keep my judgement to myself until I've tried them.

But it's gonna take some serious effort to beat the excellent mod that is The Trap (which runs on SoHL) :wink:

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
SOHL has lots of good thing, one of them being being able to scale models, meaning that the mana ball of orion bow would look better

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How long would you say it would take to convert MSC to Spirit of half-life engine? Couple months? Possibly one year?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The FX engine requires launching by a seperate .exe, which I suspect maybe hard for the average player to find, in addition to the issue that J-M pointed out.

SOHL isn't an engine, just a set of new functions. We've had the SOHL source for years, and have had little to no luck transfering any of it's functions to MSC. Primary interests for me are model scaling and MP3 ambients. Most of the other useful stuff SOHL offers is covered by the scripting system (at least in those versions that'll still compile with VS2003).

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So all this time MSc is one the Spirit of Half-Life engine or features. So why don't we script in all those features? It makes sense to do so, I would like, no, I demand the new features! Why didn't you put the things like 3D skyboxes and simple physics in? Theres only ONE THING IN THIS WORLD to some up what you said, and that thing is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91rPIq2mN4

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
>_>

Suffice to are say, there are limits to the powers of scripting.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thoth, send me the SOHL code and I'll attempt to port whatever you want. Don't say what 'we' can't do until ye've let me try :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I linked it to ye ages ago, but meh, will do so again. ^_^

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Meh, first thing to go is.. uh.. F*ck.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Import the simple physics and 3D dynamic skyboxes! Or just look at the video, choose what ever you want. I WOULD LOVE to see this magnificent mod on the Spirit engine.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, master. Just don't use the whip again.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I am all for this. However, something tells me porting msc to a new engine might be something of a herculean task.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was only kidding, import what ever you want. Im just trying to help the mod. And it really shouldnt be tedious task, it uses just about all the same files Gold source does. For mapping you would just decompile the map, add what ever it is your adding and just recompile it. Simple enough. And for modeling I assume it would be the same is if it where the goldsrc engine.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
Yeah, just go here to see what its like.

http://master-sword.net

Sorry for double post but Barnum, thats the source engine. It would make the Spirit of half-life engine look like a childs toy :wink: I just thought changing the engine would attract more people and give MSC a type of growth spurt :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again... Spirit of Half-Life... Not... An... Engine. Same engine, just a smattering of new DLL functions.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Again... Spirit of Half-Life... Not... An... Engine. Same engine, just a smattering of new DLL functions.

I corrected my post, so the decision is up to you thothie, want to upgrade MSC?