That One Big Bill Thingy

Monika's_BFFEx0255

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure some of you have heard about this bill someone proposed to congress which would crack down on people posting content of moves, music, tv, etc. THE SH!T HITS: This bill would also create the same things to happen to games. What this would do is prevent people from posting stuff like machinima or video game gameplay without permission from the publishing company ex. Craptivision. I'm sure this bill won't pass but it would be a shane to see people being charged with a crime just because they made a video with gameplay or machinima. THE REAL ISSUE AT HAND IS: There's no left in the house

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Even if it did pass, the companies would have to press charges in order for you to face any real legal ramifications, and since many posts of content HELP the game, I doubt any company will push to put you in jail or fine you.

Monika's_BFFEx0255

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Even if it did pass, the companies would have to press charges in order for you to face any real legal ramifications, and since many posts of content HELP the game, I doubt any company will push to put you in jail or fine you.
Yeah, but then there's companies like craptivision who'd still press charges because they're greedy and don't care either way.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I find it unlikely. The amount of time/money/energy/bad press is not worth putting some internet dweller in jail for making a frag-video or review.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
I find it unlikely. The amount of time/money/energy/bad press is not worth putting some internet dweller in jail for making a frag-video or review.

Well that'd be mass-imprisonment on my opinion xD

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
With individual court cases, all costing large amounts of time and money and making the company look like a bunch of dickheads.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
With individual court cases, all costing large amounts of time and money and making the company look like a bunch of dickheads.

True indeed ... why start this, this makes non-sense...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Given the state of the economy and the conservative's current level of political power, I could see it passing though. It'll be sold as another opportunity for companies to protect/resell their intellectual property, and yet another way lawyers can make lots of money.

If it is passed, I suspect it'll be dealt with in much the same way music sharing is now. The RIAA will sue the crap out of a few unlucky individuals and organizations for outrageous amounts of money to make some quick cash out of court and make examples of them, and Youtube will start taking down all the Machinma videos, AMVs, etc. (Which they already quite often do, but now they'll many more reasons to do so.)

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Given the state of the economy and the conservative's current level of political power, I could see it passing though. It'll be sold as another opportunity for companies to protect/resell their intellectual property, and yet another way lawyers can make lots of money.

If it is passed, I suspect it'll be dealt with in much the same way music sharing is now. The RIAA will sue the crap out of a few unlucky individuals and organizations for outrageous amounts of money to make some quick cash out of court and make examples of them, and Youtube will start taking down all the Machinma videos, AMVs, etc. (Which they already quite often do, but now they'll many more reasons to do so.)

Yeah and that's a big a** problem ...
As we are now, I'm already hating ... YouTube to close Videos I like ...
But if this passes ._. It may rise up 50% and YouTube would be going down, is my guess.

Monika's_BFFEx0255

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Bordoga said:
Thothie said:

But if this passes ._. It may rise up 50% and YouTube would be going down, is my guess.
Thats right Bordoga, about 50% of youtube is the gaming community, and if they take that down, people with youtube partnerships in the gaming community would lose their jobs, just to this silly bill.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Trombone Man said:
Bordoga said:
Thothie said:

Thats right Bordoga, about 50% of youtube is the gaming community, and if they take that down, people with youtube partnerships in the gaming community would lose their jobs, just to this silly bill.

Not only that, I guess also a lot of people would stop going on YouTUbe for anything ...
This is almost like they're trying to kill YouTube ...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Don't think it's anything that specifically malicious, more likely just copyright lawyers seeing a new way to make cash. It is lawyers who come up with bills like this, afterall. I'm sure if you look up who assembled the bill, it'd be traced back to an RIAA related law firm.

Kill all lawyers, all politicians, and all evangelical preachers, just to make sure they don't take over straight away afterwards. ;)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Should this happen (doubt it) it only means another site for videos gaining popularity.
Either that or people just downloading gaming videos from forums for private viewing.

This is as ridiculous as some women trying to sue the internet because a video of theirs got leaked.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I was going to come in here and mention the RIAA but that's been taken care of...Shame that we're taking such a step backwards, and yeah I can see some companies tearing individuals to shreds over a teabagging video. It's even more pathetic than the MP3 filesharing lawsuits, really.