Texture Limit?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is there a limit on how many textures you can have compiled into a .mdl file? I have a large texture count for my mesh and it always crashes at a particular texture.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Is there a limit on how many textures you can have compiled into a .mdl file? I have a large texture count for my mesh and it always crashes at a particular texture.

Nope I don't think there is, just know that the larger the image the larger the model is going to be.
Images must be 8bit bmp (256color) in order to compile

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's a limit to the number of textures you can stick into a single model and still have it compile, though their size doesn't seem to be a factor. The limit is quite high though. weapons/p_weapons3.mdl is right on the edge, as are most of the p_weaponsX.mdls (save for 4). This is why we have multiple p_weapon groups.

I *think* individual textures can be no larger than 512x512x8bits.

We *appreciate* keeping textures on a weapon to a minimum for this reason. You can use a single massive texture, and take advantage of Milkshape's grouping function to wrap the same texture differently on various parts of the model. Alternatively, you can go wild with textures on the viewmodel, and simplify the p_model, as it does not need to be as detailed, rarely being seen as close up.