Flail = Blunt Arms (?)
Spear = ?

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Will you throw the spear, or just jab with it?

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
There's not really a good catagory to place a spear into as shuri pointed out. Swords? no.... Axes? not even close... and I doubt thothie is gonna figure out how to make and balance new catagories of weapons anytime soon.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hmmm... if it is a halberd it will fit into axes...

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I doesn't look like it would be too hard to make a new weapon category, I probably wont attempt it though :O.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Spears don't fit into any of the current weapon categories. Adding a new weapon category means that every character will have the ability to dramatically raise their level by training the new category, so spears will probably be a no-no. They'll probably be in MS:S though.

Flails rock. I want a flail.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Adding new weapon categories == Changing how chars load == Char wipe != What Thothie likes to do

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Adding new weapon categories == Changing how chars load == Char wipe != What Thothie likes to do

making a few assumptions, I don't think it would be that hard.

assuming that the skills are in an array (which i believe they are), and that they are stored in that array [binary+encryptions+whatever]. It wouldn't be hard to make a simple program to read in the old chars, and output a new one with the couple of extra bytes.

but than again, MS:C isn't straightforwardly coded, and its systems tend to clash with one another.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Any thing messing with character files (particularly programs that would involve decompiling them in any fashion) are a huge no-no. Thothie has forbidden me to even look into the files that contain how the chars are encrypted.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Any thing messing with character files (particularly programs that would involve decompiling them in any fashion) are a huge no-no. Thothie has forbidden me to even look into the files that contain how the chars are encrypted.

Well obviously it is something that Thothie would have to do. I was merely suggesting that it could be possible to add another category without doing an entire character wipe.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Surely a spear is a bow (if you can throw it?)

Why not add it to blunts, and rename blunts *takes a drag* to blunts and spikes or something...?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Could put them into archery and rename it to Projectile Combat, or something like that.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
or make it a miniature spear and put it in small arms

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If it's small enough to be in small arms then it's just a small, pointy stick >_>

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Don't think thats possible

.... yet.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It isn't possible, at the moment, and making it possible would take a LOT of work.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Would be awesome to have 2 catagory weapons, would also be insane with the code we have now, but mabe once the code gets a little less "Omg I just looked and the script for 'x' and now my eyes are bleeding" it'll be possible.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Scripts don't hurt, just the code ;-) And I don't know that anyone would want to touch the exp function again any time soon >_> It's painful, what with the "Well, there's some here.. Some there.. Some in the client.dll.. Some in the ms.dll OW MY EYES THEY BLEED OH WHY DO THEY BLEED SO?"

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I have the code maybe I should sit and look over it.

after all complex code with randomness seems to be my forty, I should really stay away from those 4D and 5D arrays I enjoy building. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I would toss spears into archery - moot point, as we've no model we could use for said anyways.

Thothie has forbidden me to even look into the files that contain how the chars are encrypted.
I don't recall saying that, per say. Just very reluctant to have anything made that actually decrypts characters.

4D and 5D arrays

There's some fun structs in the code with as many as 100 elements, several of which have a dozen or more sub elements.