steam os - MSC

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
So who thinks there will be problems with the steam os and just about any half-life mod? does anyone have an plans to do bug testing/fixes once its released? or will main platform still be windows? also has there been any updates about the mod and linux?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I sure as hell hope they don't make source 2 exclusive to that OS. I don't want to change now, even if it is better, it's linux, something i never liked that much. I'm used to windows.

I've been thinking about the announcements, first one being the OS, second one seems to be probable to be the steam box (two brackets = box, circle = OS inside the box), third one is probably something related to OS + software (source 2 engine showcase) or OS + unique display equipment for the OS/steambox (wouldn't make much sense this last one, no brackets included in the last announcement).

Obviously i want the 3rd one to happen the most, because f*ck steambox and OS, don't really need it if it's going to work similiar to steam - pc and windows.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
I sure as hell hope they don't make source 2 exclusive to that OS.

There's probably a 0% chance of this happening, most people will still be on Windows.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hate to be a negative Nancy, but I'm fairly certain, with the various DX extensions, and Windows file i/o, that MSC will not work in Steam OS. To make matters worse, if our experience with adapting Half-Life for Linux is any indication, Steam OS will likely lead to changes in the Windows version that will similarly break and de-optimize stuff, for no apparent reason, without providing any new features for us (and/or removing existing features).

*sigh* As much as I like to see someone fight the power now and again, I suspect nothing good will come of this, plus, much as with Apple, it seems whenever someone does fight the tyranny of Microsoft, some even more terrifying tyrant is born.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I wonder if this OS will take off.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Red Cell said:
I wonder if this OS will take off.

Of course it will, don't be silly!

Probably not on mass scale, because it's entirelly for steam users, and not all of us are going to switch. Not to mention it is based of linux, i sort of dislike linux, couldn't adapt to it on my laptop.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
All Valve has to do is offer a promotional TF2 hat for using the OS and 65% of the userbase will use SteamOS.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
65% of the tf2 userbase...

But yeah that made me think, there could be early betas of their games released for their OS only or something similiar, they need to create a grabbing point to use the OS on non living room machines.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
It is obvious that for gaming concerns, Steam OS will shine. The real question in my mind is how will it tackle the non-gaming concerns of an OS. Will it even try, or just leave it to the Linux geeks?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Seems to me that it's just going to be an OS version of Big Picture, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I doubt the OS itself will be a space hog, so you could just transfer as many games as you can from a Windows partition into a Steam OS partition, and bam.