Slash (with an L, not stash), rollback request

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
sigh.... this has now happened twice where I just randomly lose a weapon for what appears to be no reason.

1st, lost heavy x bow. Put it away from my hands into bag....and then it wasn't there. all gone. ok fine, whatever, got some people to help get a new one, minor annoyance.

now, tried to take golden axe out of chest on helena...then of course the server crashed and now it's gone too!

I just don't feel like wasting more time killing those stupid zombie dwarves.

so steam ID: STEAM_0_1:133308

slot 1

the closest time before 2:30 PM pacific time on Feb 7th. please!

thank you

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
All done Stash. ;)

Had to do it manually for some reason though. :\

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
thanks for the quick turn around!!! love the game!

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
just for the record...the axe is gone again. Not requesting RB though, the show must go on. What's up with this? is this a normal thing? no it's not broken...it's just gone from inventory. is this a new bug? others have this problem? is it something I'm doing? should I switch items/use inventory as slow as possible?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... It maybe the item in question is corrupted, which is bad, as even though it's vanished, it's probably still in your inventory, fuxing with your item data stream. If you have a blank entry in your inventory, we may need to roll you back to sometime before you acquired it, if you want to avoid risk of further corruption.

I currently have such a corruption on one of my test characters, and though I've not had a chance yet, I've been meaning to work up a system to dump and possibly edit the raw item inventory data. If I have success in that department, maybe I can work up something to fix such issues, either manually or automagically.

But no, the speed with which you draw or shuffle items shouldn't be an issue.

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
lol crap........i just noticed BOTH my flame licks are gone too......

so...are you saying my shit is corrupted and these problems will only continue in the future? should I roll back to like 2 weeks ago? :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We can try that - no promises though - this sort of char corruption is a hard beast to pin down sometimes. I'll keep a record of your character for experimentation purposes.

Give me a confirmation, if you wanna try going back that far - you can just risk it, if you want, but we do normally limit folks to three rollbacks a month to avoid abuse of the system.

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
well....what would you recommend? losing a flamelick isn't the end of the world, nor the axe.....but are you implying that if I continue the character will be at risk of further corruption in the future? Is there a significant chance I could get a tork bow or something and then lose it the next day?

would it be more beneficial, in the big picture, to roll back a couple weeks now and lose that time vs suffering potentially much larger losses in the future?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I can't give you exact estimates, it depends on how bad the corruption is, how many false slots said corruption is making, how large the whole inventory stream is, etc. etc.

If it was something we could predict with accuracy, we would be able to stop it from happening by now. ;)

There's a risk, but I can't give you any idea how much - you'd just have to keep playing and risk finding out the hard way. Worst case scenario, it might not cause any problems for a real long time, and then cause catastrophic inventory failures down the road when you reach an inventory data stream of just-the-right-size. Best case scenario, you'll drop some affected item and the stream will work itself out - or maybe the corruption in the stream will remove itself as it's bumped to the end or the beginning, and randomly generates a terminator. It may just cause a character overflow, rendering the character unloadable. No one knows... It's one of the mysteries of the universe.

Best, probably, to make a note of the date where this started, and keep going for awhile. If things keep vanishing repeatedly, request a roll back to a few weeks before that started (or months, depending on how often you play). Keep in mind, however, that we rarely keep live archives more than a year old - though we can dig into offline archives, but they are monthly, instead of four times daily. (Archive space starts running into the terabyte range real fast.)

Also, the usual advice, hit char_recover and dump out all your inventory, and leave any items that do anything strange (change names or models) behind.

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
lo and behold! I deposited my gib back into helena chest and my axe and flamelicks are now back! wtf!?!!?!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yup, definitely some corruption there. Doubt that fixed it - but maybe if you're lucky. If the GIB was the culprit, you are fine to remove it from the chest and keep it, actually - as it'll reset the item data.

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
ok well...unfortunately things are still messed up so let's fix it now before any more time is lost! can we do a big roll back to any time on Feb 1st? That was before I noticed any weird behavior....

now I gave a bunch of my rarer stuff to a backup character to another player with the hopes I can get it back when i'm rolled back? would this be a problem? meaning is it possible that i would be "getting back the corruption" if I do this?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ehh yeaaah... The corruption can not only save with the item, it can transfer to the other character. >< Items have extra save data for things such as quality and quantity, and a corrupted item tends to have invalid data in these fields that can cause chaos, especially if there's a parser character in them. Only way to for-sure reset an item and have a clean one is to stick it into a Galat storage chest, or exchange it for a ticket. Although, even then, there's no guarantee that it didn't nudge item data, corrupting adjacent items.

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
fuuuuuu!

ok well.......rollback anyway? lol

info is all the same from first post...cept feb 1st as the date.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright, done. This character's not very old though - tis quite a rollback for one this young.

Sadly, the only coder who was getting a real handle on this inventory data craziness was driven out by a mob with torches and pitchforks. :/

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
thank you good sir!

Slash

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
well here we go again! heavy x bow decided to just disappear. I don't want to risk further game play. le sigh.

can we roll back (for the 3rd time this month, I understand that's it) to anytime prior to 4 PM Feb. 21st 2011?

so steam ID: STEAM_0_1:133308

slot 1