Scaling?

bodyhunter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Hey there, I have started playing again and noticed one thing, the community isn't really present that much anymore, this leads me to my next point and that is item drops. From what I understand some maps work based on number of players present and hp, the first doesnt really seem relevant anymore due to the low community size we now have.

What im suggesting is that we try to redo the drop system, perhaps increase the drop chance for items, to make it more new user friendly, while trying to get some items, I noticed what some might mention as the GRIND, while some live for this type of thing, is this really what we need now at this point in Master sword: Contintued?

TL;DR- Should we be trying to gear towards more solo play?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Get mod on steam, wait for results, worst case scenario: go solo build.

I do think it's futile to dish out patches without making the greenlight move first, basically beating a dead horse right there. I know it keeps the current database busy for a while, but for how long and is it really worth the investment?

Ms:c isn't going anywhere as it is, which is sad. It has nice potential as a 100% free to play game/mod, investing content patches after putting it on steam would keep people around in the game for longer periods of time. Which is what i hope to see happen sometime in the future, untill then i'll be lurking the forums and see what's up.

It's funny i say this now, back in 2010 i was against making this mod more populated than it was back then, the amount of players were reasonable back then, but it has been dropping over the years, and i think the last 2 years might have been bad ones compared to the ones prior to those years.

PS: Also tried advertising twice about 2 years ago, got some people to try the mod but they all ended up vanishing, i even tried to help one of the guys back then and i recall him saying "servers are empty most of the time when i play", sad reality there, sometimes they have groups of people playing but timezones don't really help either.

bodyhunter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Yeah i've tried to get people into the mod, I just don't think its as noob friendly as it used to be now, since there are hardly any people to give advice, or help out newer players

Meru

New Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
There is the problem that some of the helpers do a bit to much.
The new players have to learn the game by themself. Basical knowlegde is helpful but the most fun is to get higher
in your level, find new items and maybe find one of the many secrets on the maps. There is alot to explore and that
makes alot of fun. So help them getting started and then let them discover themself.
They wont stay active if push them straight through the game.
In the last days the number of players has grown a bit. We had all servers visited, thats great!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As I've said before, I don't work on single player games... Well... At least not ones that are time sinks, like MSC. Those things destroy souls, man. ;)

If I abandon the mod for good, or foresee my immanent demise (which, given stuff that's going on with me lately, who knows), I'll rig up a single player mode. I think I have most of the stuff in place for that, so it would just mean adding a cvar. Under such a system, chests would be treated as if there were 2-3 players present, and boss mobs would scale between 25% and 50% of their normal HP/damage.

As for scaling itself, as I've also said before, I do hope to work out an individual scaling system, so you don't have this situation where a god or two enters the server, and all the rats and goblins suddenly become gods as well. Rather, everyone will do and take damage proportional to their equipment relative to their stats, and thus play together nicely - the only real advantage that high end players will have in such areas, is more ways to apply control and DOT.

It'd only apply to self-adjusting maps, however (applying it globally makes leveling all but pointless), and I've still no real idea how to implement such a system without it becoming a monumental task. It may turn into a map-by-map thing, perhaps starting with Orc_for, which might make it somewhat simpler (limited number of scripts to adjust.)

shadowgl

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Perhaps someone should write up a players guide and sticky it on the forums, you could then direct people to it for some friendly advice towards new players.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We had a sticky for that, based on this tutorial although it mysteriously vanished at some point. (Plus that tutorial needs updating.)

Snapman

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea, i was going to make that suggestion. An established community wiki for the game to give new players a quick run down, with the ability to comeback later to explore more in-depth. As for getting more notice, the steam greenlight process would definitely lead to a spike in participants, as well as activity on the moddb page (which is how i stumbled on this mod).