Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
STEAM_0:1:7087443

Issue: All characters seem to be corrupted. I cannot select any one of them to play in-game. I get stuck on the black character select screen, am able to move around in a very limited way, then usually get disconnected with an overflow error.

I haven't played in a while so you can roll them back to whatever backup you have available in the last few months.

Thanks in advance!

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Maybe you should try creating a new character see if it still overflows...

It's completly weird that all your characters suddently started overflowing when you got back.

Maybe it's bloom being on by default causing issues?

Or maybe your computer is different from the last one you used to play this and doesn't like the weather control, mine dislikes dusk time which causes issues to me.

Or i'm completly wrong about this and they actually got corrupted somehow. :eek:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything odd about these characters, off hand. Maybe something on your end, if you've not played in awhile.

Mind you Half-Life changed its install location in February 2013 - you need to reinstall Half-Life and MSC, if you've not played since then.

I've rolled the first one (left most) back to July - seems the same size, though the modified dates are different. It's a small char, so I figure maybe you won't lose much on it - unlike the middle slot which is pretty big. If that fixes it, I'll roll back the rest, but I dun wanna screw ya, if ya can't tell me when last ya played.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna see if I can load up these chars manually when I get home.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nvm - did it from here - just... Painful at 5 FPS or so... And yeah, they load fine.

Problem is most likely on your end - I'd just screw ya rolling ya back randomly, and it probably wouldn't help (unless that first slot is loading now).

Probably time to uninstall Half-Life and Reinstall Half-Life.

• Library->Half-Life [right click] "Delete Local Content".
• Close Steam. Open Steam.
• Reinstall Half-Life, run Training Room.
• Close Steam.
• Install MSC Full Installer DEC2010
• Install MSC Betapack SEP2013
• Make sure the self-installer is pointing to:
%steampath%\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life\msc
and not:
%steampath%\Steam\steamapps\%steam_account_name%\Half-Life\msc

A new Goldsrc development team came in a little over a year ago, and re-did a bunch of stuff, not entirely understanding why the previous team did what they did, re-arranged the folders, and broke a bunch of other stuff in the process, in the name of providing a Linux port of Half-Life (that MSC still doesn't run under.)