RKS servers not the same anymore for me...

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I've been testing lately and i found out that RKS servers are somehow messed up for me, not sure if it's just me or not but i tested quite a few things on RKS and BoU servers, and i have been having weird issues on the new RKS servers... These issues are mostly related to random overflows and game sounds breaking up sometimes (this only happens in RKS servers). Then if i join a BoU server, which has 100 more ping than the RKS server for me, game works just fine, sounds dont break, i rarelly overflow unless its a really unstable situation.

I've done 3 shad_palace rush runs, 2 of which were done on 2 different RKS servers and 1 one the BoU server.

The results i got were:
1st run = RKS server 2 or 4 (cant remember exactly), did basically like half of the map (up to the archer ambush part of the map), overflowded 5 times and i never got to finish the map because i just gave up after that many overflows.
2nd run = BoU server 2, did all of the map perfectly with no issues other than 1 single overflow on the library part (was doing multiple things at the time such as: casting hc, talking with a player, hitting multiple targets close to me and also receiving alot of damage).
3rd run = RKS server 1, started doing the run, it went completly fine untill i overflowded on the room where the first "elite" lightning shaman spawns (the type that summons an elemental on death), after this single overflow i gave up once more.

Other info:
-Did all the runs with the same item count, same gear, same set of potions every time.
-RKS servers give me a ping range of 220-280 most of the time, sometimes goes up to 350 with a lag spike.
-Bou servers give me a ping of ~270-350, sometimes going up to 450 with lag spikes.
-I've only been having these overflow issues quite often when i decided to play ms:c on the new RKS servers, the ones we had previously didn't give me any issues at all because i used to play this map often...

Got any clues on what could be causing the problems with the RKS servers? This is sort of frustrating... if this happens too when RKS europe servers show up. :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Other than guessing your character is near overflowing, I can't tell ya much without knowing the differences between the two servers (other than the RKS boxes are running multiple servers and are running on [I think] Win Server 2008)

Here's the start line for the RKS servers, IDK how it compares to the BOU start line:
Code:
-console -game msc +ip 23.19.122.29 -port 27015 +maxplayers 8 +exec crashed.cfg -noipx -noaff -insecure

I'd love to be able to tell you what's in the server.cfg but I can't access it for some reason.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
RKS is unstable for me too. I don't get as much overflows though.

EDIT: Plus it crashed with about 4 players in the server like 3 times before :evil:

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I have an idea on what happened.
The sever images are way too old from all the patches, and i may have missed a patch in between or something. I will redo the servers tomorrow afternoon when I have some free time. Hopefully that will fix the server.
Also, the EU server's ETA is 1st of October (That's when I get the server, so I assume that when im done configuring it, it will be the 3rd or 4th).

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
@Thothie
My main character seems to get overflows upon loading sometimes when i am at around 60 items (depends on how many people are in the server and which map they are on), after the overflow it loads without any issue though, saving perhaps a visual bug or two (floating head and the likes). Though i should rarelly get any overflows at ~50 items, because i tested before on my grinding runs and it worked perfectly without any overflows, this time its overflowing me with any item count i have (even with 40 items i still overflowded like if i had 60 items which is unusual).

At first i thought it was a corrupt item that i got recently, i looked carefully through all items on my character and they all were normal. Then it came to my mind that i might be having connection issues to the server that caused massive overflows when too much stuff happened in short time.

RKS.PY004 said:
The sever images are way too old from all the patches, and i may have missed a patch in between or something. I will redo the servers tomorrow afternoon when I have some free time. Hopefully that will fix the server.
Also, the EU server's ETA is 1st of October (That's when I get the server, so I assume that when im done configuring it, it will be the 3rd or 4th).

Man i hope you are right, your servers used to be too good to do this type of stuff to me all the time. Thumbs up for the patching and nice hosting :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
RKS.PY004 said:
Patches are culminated, so if you have the basic install, the latest patch should do, regardless of any you skipped. :\ (Think the rare exception would be that Dragooncaves.bsp)

I can see the server.cfg now... Nothing odd there. Developer is set to 1, but that's not as nasty as it once was - it might be required for the RKS logging system to work anyways - not sure. :/

It might just be that the RKS servers likely do Steam Updates more often... And sadly, the HLDS does invariably get worse and worse with every patch. (Still suspect your character is stuffed, but that's just aggravating things on all FN servers equally.)

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The command line on server #1, both are pretty much the same except the ports, and that they are forced onto separate physical cores from one another(#1 affinity locked to #4-5 and #2 to #6-7.). Running on windows 7 ultimate(intel core i7 2600k cpu.).

" -console -game msc -port 27014 -sport 27013 -maxplayers 8 -num_edicts 1500 -sv_lan 0 +exec crashed.cfg -insecure -noaff -noipx +ip 192.168.1.96"

My server is running with HLDS build 4554.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
cartman-2000 said:
" -console -game msc -port 27014 -sport 27013 -maxplayers 8 -num_edicts 1500 -sv_lan 0 +exec crashed.cfg -insecure -noaff -noipx +ip 192.168.1.96"
You manage to avoid Chunk errors with that -num_edicts flag? (Also, isn't that less than the standard 2048?) [Oh wait, nvm, default is 900, isn't it? :\]

Plus that +ip is your internal network address, rather than your external IP. I dun think it be doing anything. :\

cartman-2000 said:
My server is running with HLDS build 4554.
Logs don't start until after the server gets up and running, so I canna see what version of the HLDS the RKS servers are actually running - at least in no way that I can figure. I'm just guessing they are more up to date than most (which in this case, is a bad thing), as they have an automated Steam update function.

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
You can see HLDS build number in the status command, the build number is also written out to server log files too at the start of the log file. And the +ip thing is for serverdoc, it has problems querying the server without it.

"L 09/03/2011 - 00:48:40: Log file started (file "logs\L0903003.log") (game "msc") (version "48/1.1.2.1/4554")"

I haven't really had any problems form those errors with 1500, only time I get errors is from dragooncaves sometimes. 1500 is about enough edicts to handle 7-8 players on most maps, the defualt can only support at max 4-7 on most maps before crashing with the no free edicts error.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, I can't get the log files on RKS just now - seems admin panel locks up. :\

I don't know what's so magical about Dragoon caves... Only things I can think of that it is quite large, and there's a 100+ frame sprite in one of the easter egg rooms. You are running the Supplemental Version, yes?

I'd switch the RKS command lines to that edict count if I could verify DC still works, but it seems, once this panel is locked up, it doesn't come back for quite some time. I also suspect that the icon I need to click on to do that will also lock it up. :\

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Yes I'm running that version of dragooncaves. It's still a bit crashy but usually crashes near the end if it does.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Wouldn't be the first time we've had a bandit boss causing edict crashes. I still dunno what's up that caused the original version to cause chunk errors though - even with no edict flags (eh, the one without the sprite-torches, not compiled under VHLT, that originally appeared in this patch).

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I've had a few crashes on dragooncaves before after/while opening a chest. A few days ago it happened again on that one chest with 4 elites near boss, first crash ever on the new map version to me though. Not really sure if chests have anything to do with it, but i've seen it happen multiple times already.

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Found the exact cause:

The server (daedalus.rkszone.net) is currently having network spasms. Every few seconds, a 100ms packet loss occurs resulting in loss of connection, or some very interesting and weird bugs. The server will be moved to a new rack (so that it's closer to odyssey.rkszone.net) on Tuesday.